[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brandon Stokley dislocates shoulder in Tokyo

CaptainHook

Brandon Stokley dislocated his shoulder practicing in Tokyo today. According to the team, he will be out a minimum of 3-4 weeks, putting him in doubt for the season opener.

Edited by CaptainHook

I'll bump Clark and Edge now.

909656[/snapback]

And Marvin and Wayne. He would have stolen some TDs and catches like last year...not as many, but some.

Stokley dislocated his left shoulder. He had dislocated his right shoulder previously in his career. He did play all 16 games last year. But you are correct, he has only played all 16 games twice in his six year career. Do you remember how long he missed with the right shoulder? He has 38 days, over 5 weeks, before the season-opener. Anybody out there ever dislocate their shoulder? Chargerz, your a doc, what is your prognosis?

If there's no damage to ligaments or anything else. If the shoulder hasn't been dislocated before and there's no other damage it could be as long as 6-8 weeks. A dislocation is no joke but, sometimes people treat it as such. For these athletes maybe sooner but, I wouldn't bet much sooner than that unless it really isn't dislocated.

If there's no damage to ligaments or anything else. If the shoulder hasn't been dislocated before and there's no other damage it could be as long as 6-8 weeks. A dislocation is no joke but, sometimes people treat it as such. For these athletes maybe sooner but, I wouldn't bet much sooner than that unless it really isn't dislocated.

911241[/snapback]

I wouldn't say "sooner". Maybe they'd rehabiliate quicker because they're in better shape, but remember - they don't have to get better enough to be able to comb their hand and brush their teeth, they have to be better enough to take hits from linebackers at full speed.

I would assume that it is worse to dislocate rather than seperate your shoulder?

910993[/snapback]

I'm not an M.D., but I believe that's correct. IIRC, a separated should would've put Stokley out for most or all of the season.

Sounds like he may miss Week 1, but I don't see a reason to bump him down significantly at this point.

A magnetic resonance imaging test on the left shoulder of wide receiver Brandon Stokley revealed no serious damage. He is expected to be held out of practice for the next three or four weeks. "We're still hoping (Stokley is able to return) for opening day," Dungy said.

Indianapolis Star 8/11/05

• 2 weeks later...

Brandon Stokley is catching passes again.

That’s a good start, he said.

When his return will be complete isn’t known, but the Colts veteran wide receiver said Thursday his goal remains what it has been since sustaining a dislocated shoulder while preparing for the American Bowl in Tokyo, Japan, earlier this month:

To return to play in the Colts’ season-opener against the Baltimore Ravens in Baltimore on September 11.

“That’s my goal, if we keep going forward,” Stokley said as the Colts (0-3 in the preseason) prepared to play the Denver Broncos in a preseason game at INVESCO Field at Mile High Stadium Saturday at 7 p.m. EST.

“If we don’t have any setbacks, that’s my goal, to be there for that game.”

Stokley, who caught 68 passes for 1,077 yards and 10 touchdowns last season, caught passes Thursday, something he said he has done the last several days.

“It felt good,” Stokley said. “I’ve caught the ball the last few days, and it’s feeling good. It’s not too sore. Hopefully, we’ll keep progressing.”

Asked if he believed he was on schedule, he said, “I do. I feel like the last three or four days we’re really going forward. We haven’t had any setbacks yet, so that’s good.

“The next step, I guess, is to get out there and get some action as far as practice. That’s hopefully next week sometime.”

link

There still is no guarantee Brandon Stokley will be ready for the start of the regular season, but the veteran wide receiver remains optimistic.

"If we don't have any setbacks, my goal is to be there for that game," Stokley said. "I haven't had any setbacks so far. It's looking good."

Stokley dislocated his left shoulder on Aug. 4 in practice prior to the Colts' game in Tokyo against Atlanta. His rehabilitation has advanced to the point he was running patterns and catching passes prior to Saturday night's game with the Broncos.

Stokley might wear a brace to support the shoulder once he returns.

From Indianapolis Star