[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Anything short of 50 will be a disappointmet"

CaptainHook

They sat on a dais thousands of miles from home, each looking his best – ties tied, suit jackets buttoned and smiles wide.

Jim Irsay. Tony Dungy. Peyton Manning.

The Colts’ Owner and Chief Executive Officer, their Head Coach and their two-time Most Valuable Player/quarterback all appeared at a press conference for NFL Tokyo 2005 late Thursday afternoon. During the event, Dungy had a surprise announcement for not only Manning, but the football world.

The topic?

How Manning can possibly top his record-setting season of last year, when he threw an NFL-record 49 touchdown passes to break a 20-year-old NFL record.

“Anything short of 50 will be a disappointment,” Dungy told the crowd of mostly Japanese-media packed into a meeting room at the Tokyo Dome Hotel.

Manning, speaking minutes later, feigned surprise at the “prediction.”

“I don’t know how many touchdowns I’ll throw this year,” Manning said, smiling. “My goal is to run for at least five this year.”

Such was the mood at the press conference to promote Saturday’s event, the 14th such game to be played in Japansince 1989. The Colts will play the Atlanta Falcons Saturday in the 40th “American Bowl,” a series of preseason games played around the world over the last two decades to promote the NFL outside the United States.

The trio from the Colts joined NFL Chief Operating Officer Roger Goodell, Falcons Owner Arthur Blank, Falcons Head Coach Jim Mora and Falcons quarterback Michael Vick at the press conference. Colts and Falcons Cheerleaders greeted the media as they entered.

Throughout, it was a festive, cheery event.

The teams were happy to be in Tokyo, owners, coaches and players from each team said Thursday.

The experience has been a positive one, and the Japanese people have been accommodating and friendly since their Wednesday arrival.

They are both optimistic about the coming season.

And, particularly, representatives of each team said, they were excited to be playing on an international stage in a game with two of the NFL’s biggest superstars, Manning and Vick.

“With Peyton and Michael Vick here you have two of the greatest athletes in the world – a long the lines of Tiger Woods and anyone else on the planet,” Irsay said. “That’s the thing I’m most excited about. It’s rare when you see two guys like this in their prime. Their style is different, but the result is the same. It’s greatness.

“It’s a real treat for fans in Tokyoto see these guys play. Guys like them don’t come along very often, so it’s great to have them here and the outstanding coaches and both organizations.”

Irsay said he has pushed for several years for the Colts to be involved in the American Bowl “because I wanted our players and coaches to have a chance to experience it.”

Manning, the NFL’s MVP the last two seasons, said during the press conference that the trip was going well, adding that he was well on his way to getting plenty of rest Wednesday night, going to sleep shortly after arriving at the Tokyo Dome hotel around 10 p.m.

He slept soundly, he said, “until I heard my roommate, Brandon Stokley, snoring like a lawn mower around 3 a.m.”

Manning said he didn’t sleep the rest of the night, and sleep was an issue when Manning met with a smaller group of reporters outside the press conference shortly thereafter. Colts players had been briefed extensively by the strength and conditioning staff on minimizing jet lag, and Manning stuck to the assigned guidelines even if some didn’t.

“They told us to stay up on the plane,” Manning said. “So, I did not sleep. (Center) Jeff Saturday) and I sat together and watched The Notebook, Eddie and the Cruisers and The Godfather. A classic trilogy of movies.

“We stayed awake, though. It was really interesting that (Colts Strength and Conditioning Coach) Jon Torine recommended to stay awake. I walked back in the plane and saw him totally passed out and asleep the entire time.”

On a serious note, Manning said although he has yet to go much outside the Tokyo Dome and the team hotel, he plans to do so Friday. He also said he has been impressed with the knowledge of the Japanese fans, as he expected from fan mail he receives. They are rabid and knowledgeable, he said, with the many in a crowd seeking his autograph at the airport Thursday wearing Colts and Pro Bowl spamshirts.

“You couldn’t tell necessarily that you were in Japan,” Manning said. “It’s an honor, to have that kind of attention over here.”

He said the fan passion for autographs even extended to the hotel staff. Returning to his room Thursday, Manning said he found 10 mini-helmets from the hotel’s housekeeping staff to sign.

Manning said that despite the extracurriculars involved in the trip, the focus is still on Saturday’s game, and with reason.

“We are going to play, I think, more than people would think,” he said. “But I am looking forward to having a chance to walk around a little bit. I don’t know what to expect, but the airport Thursday night was pretty similar to going to an event where people know I’m coming into town

lol.  If anyone would like to place a bet on EITHER of those things happening, let me know.  Cuz they aint gonna.

911196[/snapback]

Boller will be the one to throw 50 and win a championship :D:D:D:D:D:D