[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OK, it's official: I can choose from

msaint

...#6 through #12. Assuming the top four picks will be some combo of LT, Shaun, Peyton, Priest...and then the guy at #5 LOVES McGahee (which wouldn't be a bad pick there, all things considered), I'd be looking at Edge/Deuce at #6. BUt I don't see those guys as being THAT much more valuable than Jamal, Portis, Domanick and the other late first round RBs.

So, seeing as the 1st round RB's after Alexander are all pretty much about the same in terms of reward, risk, value, I'm leaning toward moving down to #11 and starting off with two solid RBs (the Joneses, Jamal and a Jones, e.g.), or Moss and a RB.

So.....would you agree with this #11 strategy??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your #11 pick strategy, however, it has been my experience that someone always makes a questionable pick at the #3, #4 or #5 slot and a top pick drops.

I have the #12 pick in one league this year and the #11 pick in another and I am ready to snag two solid RBs or a RB and an elite WR.

If you're going to drop down to 11, you might as well go to twelve.  I love those back-to-back picks.  If you're at 11, you gotta worry about the guy in the 12 spot taking your guys.

911210[/snapback]

You're right about him being able to get one player from him but, if he picks at 11 he can't get both. I like the 8th. spot also. I'd rather have a couple people to think about there than having what's left at 11. Not that the talent will be bad there but like having choices. It'll come back to you soon enough to get another good pick.

Edited by jgcoach

This year I like 10 and 11..... but that in my mind forces you into the RB, RB strategy, but you are sure to get 2 very good ones, like K Jones and Dillon, something like that. if you are at 8, then the fall off in RB's begins about the time of your second pick, as far as RB's go. If you go WR here, your #2 RB will suck. On the 3rd round, there are still top 2nd tier WR's around, and I like the 2+2 strategy through 4 rounds. In the fourth, you could go TE, depending on who falls. If you love Gonzo or gates, you could take them with your third in some leagues, but the TE spot has more depth than it has in years, I think the early TE pick is faulted this year. I just don't like 12.... you can't play head games with anyone! I love to sit at 11 and make 12 sweat! :D It's also easier to project who 12 will take.

I'm finding real value in the 9 slot. Trust me on this one, I have drafted from the 9 spot this year already and if given the choice that is exactly where I would want to be for every draft. It seems like the end of the tiers always seem to make it back to you in that spot. Really got the guy drafting behind me p'o'd. Fun stuff!!

This year, I think it's earlier the better. I think the RB Tier 2 is huge -- from Deuce/Edge all the way to Bell/Jordan. All of those guys have a lot of upside. Their risk varies, but not enough for a distinct 3rd tier, IMO.

So, it's not the 2nd-round pick I'm thinking about -- it's the 3rd. The earlier your 1st-rounder, the earlier your 3rd-rounder, obviously. It seems pretty clear that the top-tier WRs dry up early in the 3rd, so I'd give myself the best chance to get one of them. If you don't pick till the end of the 3rd, you're stuck with a Tier-2 WR (way more question marks) or Gates/Gonzo.

Assuming the top four picks will be some combo of LT, Shaun, Peyton, Priest...

911203[/snapback]

With RBs comanding a supreme value this year, I wouldn't assume Peyton makes the top few picks. He could easily fall to you at #6 the way some drafts seem to be going. But if you don't want to take that risk, then I would go with the other suggestions here of dropping to #12 instead of #11 (unless someone here can make a better argument for the 11th pick).

6 and 12 are my 2 top draft spots this year.

If you are at 6, and manning falls, that is the spot where I think his value flip-flops and becomes good. I just don't like him earlier.

12 is good because you will get 2 solid tier 2 RBs (if you want them) or Moss in there.

Thanks for all opinions, guys. I'm still honestly torn. In this league, mid/late 1st round RBs like Domanick, Deuce, Jamal aren't as highly valued as a Moss or Peyton. Both of those guys go first round this year (Pey6ton top 3, Moss in the 6-10 range believe it or not), and maybe even T.O. (if healthy). Put it this way: after Edge at #6. Moss could virtually go anywhere, and, depending on where the Vikes homer is, Daunte could squeeze in there, though I think he'll be round 2.

This tells me two things: 1. take a later spot (9, 10, 11), because with someone taking Moss and/or TO early, that frees up an extra RB to choose from early on. 2. Stay put and take Moss myself, because I can still land some solid RBs in rounds 2-3 (to SwissCheez's point about having a bettter 3rd rounder).

One more reason to leave slot #6 which I didn't mention is that my league nemesis/guy who thinks MOST like me and always values the same players, is at #5. I can't help think that it's best that we're not near each other.

[wringing hands] I'll make a decision soon, thanks again for the input [/wringing hands]

Edited by msaint

Draft far away from the guy who thinks like you...like #9 - #12... If you're both good drafters, you'll have a better chance of getting the "values" you want... I've NEVER been a fan of #12, because you rarely get TWO values to drop in your lap...and #11 isn't much better.

Therefore, I'd probably go with #9 or #10; far enough away from the guy who thinks most like you to where you'll get a chance at getting two "good values" in between his two values.

If QBs and WRs are particularly valuable, and depending on where the MIN homer is, you may want to try to snag Culpepper in the 2nd round after getting your "RB of choice" in the first. And, you should still have a good chance at getting a nice #2 RB in the third...depending on how far into camp your draft is, you may get a guy like LJordan or Cadillac or similar in the 3rd round...

One really nice thing about the 12 slot is that if you are the type who frequently has to choose between two players when it is your turn to pick, with the 12 spot, you can take both of them. But, the downside is that you have to wait FOREVER between picks, and, you only get two of the top 35 picks.

After all this, I'm thinking of just sticking with #6 and having a (likely) choice of Edge, Deuce or Moss - -asssuming #5 takes McGahee, which would be the smart choice there for him. Oddly, I can't get Moss out of my head as possibly being more valuable than any RB not named LT, Alexander or Priest.

"Oddly, I can't get Moss out of my head as possibly being more valuable than any RB not named LT, Alexander or Priest"

I wouldn't use a first rounder on Moss. Many people are saying his stats will be as good or better in Oakland than they were in Minnesota. But, it is still a change, and no one can argue that Kerry Collins is anywhere near as good of a QB as Daunte Culpepper. Also, if you go with WR at #6, your chances of getting a decent #2 RB at #30 overall are pretty slim.

Hey msaint, I'm still curious as to why you seem to have ruled out the #12 spot.  Just wondering if you have any specific reasons behind that.

912407[/snapback]

I think it's mostly the idea of having to wait so long between 2-3rd rounders, etc. There are legit arguments for any round, though...still mulling this over.

You will like drafting in the middle for about 3 rounds. After that you will probably be disappointed.

I'm loving my 10th pick in one league........the two teams at 11 & 12 are both Fantasy Football rookies and have never played before!!!!

:D:D:D:D

Now the guy in the 9th is a good player so I'll have to worry about him to some extent, but I'm still lovin the situation I'm in at this point.....

Just hope they don't pull a rookie mistake and trade the guy with the #1 pick overall for his draft position. :D

But, if you've got to pick between #6 - #12, I'd either stay with 6 or go all the way down to #12 and take the picks around the turn. It's tough if you've got a bunch of guys that know what they are doing....