[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OK, it's official: I can choose from

msaint

I'm loving my 10th pick in one league........the two teams at 11 & 12 are both Fantasy Football rookies and have never played before!!!!

:D  :D  :D  :D

Now the guy in the 9th is a good player so I'll have to worry about him to some extent, but I'm still lovin the situation I'm in at this point.....

Just hope they don't pull a rookie mistake and trade the guy with the #1 pick overall for his draft position.  :D

But, if you've got to pick between #6 - #12, I'd either stay with 6 or go all the way down to #12 and take the picks around the turn.  It's tough if you've got a bunch of guys that know what they are doing....

912467[/snapback]

Yeah, most of the other owners are pretty savvy. If I could somehow place myself near guys who are clueless, that's be great. There are one or two wildcards who occasionally throw in a "Brady in the 3rd round" type pick (this being a Boston-based league), but those newbie moves are few and far between...league is more or less guys who understand how this whole crazy thing works, or should work anyway. I guess what it comes down to, is this:

1. Stay at #6, take best available RB Edge/Deuce. Is Edge/Deuce that much of an upgrade over the RBs I'd choose from at, say, #9-#12?

2. Stay at #6, take Moss. Is Moss, in this scoring system, worth the risk at #6? I'd bet a good deal of money that between my #6 and #19 picks (1.6, 2.7) TO, Daunte (Vikes homer picking #11 as of now, won't let Duante by him in 1st or 2nd) and maybe even Marvin will be taken, meaning there will be three add'l RBs that aren't taken, meaning my RB1 will be a little better, and maybe even my RB2 (likely round 3 pick).

3. Move down to #9-#12, grab the best RBs 1st and 2nd rounds -- maybe throwing a TO or Daunte in there in round 2 if I'm feeling good about the RBs left in round 3 --- and go from there.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, most of the other owners are pretty savvy. If I could somehow place myself near guys who are clueless, that's be great. There are one or two wildcards who occasionally throw in a "Brady in the 3rd round" type pick (this being a Boston-based league), but those newbie moves are few and far between...league is more or less guys who understand how this whole crazy thing works, or should work anyway. I guess what it comes down to, is this:

1. Stay at #6, take best available RB Edge/Deuce. Is Edge/Deuce that much of an upgrade over the RBs I'd choose from at, say, #9-#12?

2. Stay at #6, take Moss. Is Moss, in this scoring system, worth the risk at #6? I'd bet a good deal of money that between my #6 and #19 picks (1.6, 2.7) TO, Daunte (Vikes homer picking #11 as of now, won't let Duante by him in 1st or 2nd) and maybe even Marvin will be taken, meaning there will be three add'l RBs that aren't taken, meaning my RB1 will be a little better, and maybe even my RB2 (likely round 3 pick).

3. Move down to #9-#12, grab the best RBs 1st and 2nd rounds -- maybe throwing a TO or Daunte in there in round 2 if I'm feeling good about the RBs left in round 3 --- and go from there.

912494[/snapback]

Once slots are finalized, can you trade picks?

Meaning, could you take (for example) the 9th spot and then trade up in the 2nd round to get Culpepper right in front of the MIN homer (obviously, you don't annound the trade until after the first pick of the second round is on the clock and only if Culpepper is still on the board) ... because if you'd be able to snag Culpepper, you may have a shot at being able to mortgage him for a fortune to the MIN homer... Worst case scenario, you traded up to get a "top two" QB (and the #3 QB really isn't that close in most scoring systems).

Anyhow, can you trade draft picks after slots are finalized?

Once slots are finalized, can you trade picks?

Meaning, could you take (for example) the 9th spot and then trade up in the 2nd round to get Culpepper right in front of the MIN homer (obviously, you don't annound the trade until after the first pick of the second round is on the clock and only if Culpepper is still on the board) ... because if you'd be able to snag Culpepper, you may have a shot at being able to mortgage him for a fortune to the MIN homer...  Worst case scenario, you traded up to get a "top two" QB (and the #3 QB really isn't that close in most scoring systems).

Anyhow, can you trade draft picks after slots are finalized?

912730[/snapback]

Yeah, trades are allowed, but in-draft trades have been very rare in this league.

Yeah, trades are allowed, but in-draft trades have been very rare in this league.

912954[/snapback]

Can you talk to the team in #11 about their interest in dropping back a couple of spots in the 2nd to your spot at #9 ... in exchange for them moving up a couple of spots in the 3rd and 5th?

If he does it, that would force him into taking Culpepper with his 1st pick, thereby guaranteeing you another good RB pick at his former spot in the 2nd round...or...would allow YOU to take Culpepper (whom you may chose to ransom or not back to the MIN homer).

Anyhow, can you talk to this guy about this trade before you pick your draft slot?

Hey fellers,

Well, after much hemming and hawing, and consulting everyone from Trey Wingo to DMD to Eva Longoria to retired General H. Norman Schwarzkopf, I've decided to move down from #6 to #9...when push came to shove, #6 did nothing for me, honestly.

I took into consideration all the valid points made in this thread and tried to settle on the pick that best fit all concerns: a RB at #9 will be about the same value, if not the exact same, as what I would have gotten at #6; I will get a better 2nd round pick; at #9 rather than #11 or #12, I won't have to wait as long for my pick to swing back around in the odd rounds, etc. etc.

Thanks for all the input :D

edit to add: Yes, I proposed the idea of a Culpepper trade to the guys -- yes, guys, plural, f'n two-owner teams :D -- at #11, wherein we'd swap 2nd and 4th rounders in exchange for doing my part to let Daunte slip to them. We'll see what they say.

Edited by msaint

This year, I think it's earlier the better. I think the RB Tier 2 is huge -- from Deuce/Edge all the way to Bell/Jordan. All of those guys have a lot of upside. Their risk varies, but not enough for a distinct 3rd tier, IMO.

So, it's not the 2nd-round pick I'm thinking about -- it's the 3rd. The earlier your 1st-rounder, the earlier your 3rd-rounder, obviously. It seems pretty clear that the top-tier WRs dry up early in the 3rd, so I'd give myself the best chance to get one of them. If you don't pick till the end of the 3rd, you're stuck with a Tier-2 WR (way more question marks) or Gates/Gonzo.

911558[/snapback]

Won't waste anymore time writing a response, as this is bang on :tu:

Won't waste anymore time writing a response, as this is bang on :tu:

915956[/snapback]

Yeah, we could debate for another three weeks on this. There's a great case for what SwizzCheez originally suggested -- the "earlier 3rd rounder" theory -- and I strongly considered staying put at #6...I just went with my gut in the end and considered relative first-round value (NO difference between RB's at #6 and #9), and if I can get better 2nd/4th rounders as part of the bargain, I should be ok. -- e.g. If that higher 2nd round slot nets me a slight upgrade (Kevin Jones instead of Tiki; T.O. instead of Holt).

Plus, if someone jumps on T.O., Daunte, Moss in the 1st/2nd before my picks, then it'll give me a better choice of RB2 in the second, AND, conceivably, a better WR1/RB2 in the 3rd...put it this way, if I start Dillon/Portis/Jamal and K.Jones, I'd be more than fine with a Horn as my WR1 in round 3.

We'll see if I made the right choice, but something about being dead-middle of each round just didn't do it for me. :D

912494[/snapback]

I like this option best of all. Seems to allow for the most flexibility even if you end up going RB-RB-WR you always can consider RB-WR-RB or RB-QB-RB while on the clock with the 2nd round pick. Along those same lines I agree with Swiss that the earlier 3rd round pick, the better. I've liked the 9 spot best this year but to be honest, I like drafting around there most years.

I like this option best of all.  Seems to allow for the most flexibility even if you end up going RB-RB-WR you always can consider RB-WR-RB or RB-QB-RB while on the clock with the 2nd round pick.  Along those same lines I agree with Swiss that the earlier 3rd round pick, the better.  I've liked the 9 spot best this year but to be honest, I like drafting around there most years.

915995[/snapback]

yeah, I like being able to call an audible at the line, so to speak, in round 2.

So, it's not the 2nd-round pick I'm thinking about -- it's the 3rd. The earlier your 1st-rounder, the earlier your 3rd-rounder, obviously. It seems pretty clear that the top-tier WRs dry up early in the 3rd, so I'd give myself the best chance to get one of them. If you don't pick till the end of the 3rd, you're stuck with a Tier-2 WR (way more question marks) or Gates/Gonzo.

911558[/snapback]

Along those same lines I agree with Swiss that the earlier 3rd round pick, the better. 

915995[/snapback]

Some great wisdom here for this season. In fact, I'd say that if you end up drafting in one of the last slots, you should probably get one of those top WR picks in round 2 and then take a risk on your 2nd RB in the 3rd (maybe a rookie like Arrington if still available). RB, WR, RB, QB.

FWIW, I'm in a league that does "normal" serpentine for the first two rounds...and then the third round repeats the order of the second round, proceeding on to a "normal" serpentine from there...

1-12

12-1

12-1

1-12

12-1

...continue serpentine for full 16 round draft...

And I've got the #9 slot...drafting 9th in the 1st round and 4th in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and then 9th again in the 4th, etc...

HOWEVER, it also has SCREWY keeper rules...current keepers who may be picked in the first five rounds or so include, in no certain order:

QB: no one of note can be kept

RB: Willis McGahee, DomDavis, Kevin Jones, LJordan, Cadillac Williams (yes, we can draft college players and sit them on the bench for the year -- Cadillac will only cost his owner a 10th round pick this year), Rudi Johnson, Brian Westbrook, Stephen Jackson, Cedric Benson, Lee Suggs, DeShaun Foster and Chris Brown

WR: JWalker, CJohnson, AndJohnson, Burleson, RWayne, Boldin, MClayton, Ward, Driver, Lee Evans, JPorter, Muhammad, Bennett, Lelie, AGates (non-TE required), McCardell and JWitten

...I'm thinking of trying to trade up in the 1st round...but, am curious about how much that'll impact me in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds...

BTW, my keepers are LaMont Jordan (who costs me my 5th round pick) and Michael Clayton (who'll cost me my 11th round pick). Najeh Davenpoop would cost my 8th, David Patten my 7th and New England's Defense would cost my 7th. I'm not inclined to keep any of those three guys.

BTW #2, all TDs are 6pts, and yardage is VERY undervalued (1pt/20 yds rush/receive and 1pt for 50yds passing)...essentially, whomever scores more TDs tends to win this league... I HATE THE SCORING RULES, but love all sorts of other parts of it (like drafting college players, etc).

...any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Drafting in less than 12 hours. Figured I'd give it one last bump. Top 8 will prob. be LT, Shaun, Peyton, Priest, McGahee, Edge, Dillons, Moss....Still looking like I'll get a choice of DD, Deuce, Jamal, Julius, Kevin......

One note: DD just scares me for some reason, even in a pt/reception league. Just my gut.

Drafting in less than 12 hours. Figured I'd give it one last bump. Top 8 will prob. be LT, Shaun, Peyton, Priest, McGahee, Edge, Dillons, Moss....Still looking like I'll get a choice of DD, Deuce, Jamal, Julius, Kevin......

One note: DD just scares me for some reason, even in a pt/reception league. Just my gut.

958887[/snapback]

I feel the same about DD msaint. I like Duece out of those guys. Do you think Katrina drops the value of the Saints players at all? Maybe a topic for another thread. :D

yeah, leaning toward deuce if he's there, or julius (a little more risk, however). dillon will prob. be gone, but if he's there, hard to pass up a virtually guaranteed 1,400 yds and 12-15 TDs.

Re: that biiiootch katrina, prob. another whole thread topic, but I don't think the hurricane will have THAT much of an effect on the saints, but maybe rajn or myhousekey have better homer info??

Deuce will probably be gone by 9, so I predict Dillon will be your pick. S.Jackson went at 2.1 last night, followed by Moss and TO. K. Jones went next, and by the time it came back both Gonzo and Gates were gone (mandatory TE). Jackson looked really good the other night, so don't be surprised that he goes much higher. In a standard serpentine, unless you have the 6th or higher, you probably don't have a shot at Gonzo or Gates in mandatory TE leagues.

Deuce will probably be gone by 9, so I predict Dillon will be your pick. S.Jackson went at 2.1 last night, followed by Moss and TO. K. Jones went next, and by the time it came back both Gonzo and Gates were gone (mandatory TE). Jackson looked really good the other night, so don't be surprised that he goes much higher. In a standard serpentine, unless you have the 6th or higher, you probably don't have a shot at Gonzo or Gates in mandatory TE leagues.

959064[/snapback]

I actually think Deuce drops, he's not popular in my league for some reason, maybe his down year last year. I think #1-8 goes LT, Shaun, Peyton, Priest, Willis, Edge, Dillon (Pats homer), Moss (bonuses for 100yd games/long TDs).... But if Dillon's there, he's mine. So, would you rank my potential #9 overall picks as....

1. Deuce

2. Dillon

3. Julius

4. Kevin

5. Moss (verrrry tempting in my scoring system)

? Again, I just have a baaaaad feeling about Domanick, although the pt/reception is tempting. Might grab Westbrook in round 2 for this reason, but 2.4 might be too early for him there.

Edited by msaint

1. Deuce

2. Dillon

3. Julius

4. Kevin

5. Moss (verrrry tempting in my scoring system)

959088[/snapback]

That's How I'd rank it. Although after the way the Lions O-line performed the other night, You could make the argument that KJ MIGHT slip behind Moss even. That was worrisome.

? Again, I  just have a baaaaad feeling about Domanick, although the pt/reception is tempting. Might grab Westbrook in round 2 for this reason, but 2.4 might be too early for him there.

959088[/snapback]

I took DD last night with #10, so stop with the bad juju... yer freaking me out. I wanted J.Jones, but he went #7. I like J.Jones more than DD but less than Dillon. K.Jones is the one I don't get, and IMO McGahee is the scary pick. The Bills may have a great D, but when they're on the field for 45 min a game they will wear down. No offense to Bills fans, but I just don't see the Bills scoring potential as anything higher than vanilla at best. J. Jones has an easy schedule, and A. Thomas is a cheap handcuff in the last round.

The #11 is going to end up being a good place to be in a draft that just started for me. Two early surprises, to me, have left Manning available through nine picks: K.Jones at 1.04 and Westbrook at 1.09. Even if Manning goes at 1.10, I'm left with a choice of Dillon, J.Jones and Lewis, with one of them also being there at 2.02. So every draft is different, which is why I never have a plan going into a draft. I had actually thought about going WR, RB in this draft, or even WR,WR, to try something different (start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX (RB or WR) K, DEF). But now I'm hoping to get Manning at 1.11, and then a RB at 2.02 :D

Good point, but I'd say Thomas. Same handcuff questions about McGahee and DD. Gotta roll the dice, but A Train has the most experience.

959133[/snapback]

Crud, I took Barber in one league to backup JJ. Nothing worse than juggling handcuffs.