[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trade Dispute!

canman1104

What 2 players that I would get in the 2nd and 4th round that would equal the points Manning will get?

921148[/snapback]

:D Fellas, with this approach, I'm afraid the extra picks may be nullifying his lack of knowledge of basic FF principles.

It doesn't matter that Manning will outscore those two players. It is how much will Manning and the 6th and 8th rounder be OUTSCORED by the #5 pick and the 2nd and 4th rounder.

No one is saying you shouldn't take trades offered to you because you are the commish, as you must also manage your team. Just realize that this is obviously so far over the top a lopsided deal that should you go on to win the league (granted, luck as far as inuries, etc may prevent that, but you are getting a HUGH advantage with this), you will likely lose a LOT of owners from your league.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a good trade to me, I hate it when people that never try to trade whine about everyone else's trades.

915938[/snapback]

Seems like a bonehead play to me, especially since the odds are against Manning having a similar year to last year. Not to mention, this guy will be lucky to have Kevan Barlow and Travis Henry as his backs...but then maybe he thinks that with Manning he can win with them.

The trade doesn't look bad from a league perspective, but I wouldn't do it. Very few leagues DON'T have whiners who complain about others trades, mainly because they don't have the cajones to go out and try to engineer some deals of their own.

Edited by GoBucs

:D  Fellas, with this approach, I'm afraid the extra picks may be nullifying his lack of knowledge of basic FF principles.

It doesn't matter that Manning will outscore those two players. It is how much will Manning and the 6th and 8th rounder be OUTSCORED by the #5 pick and the 2nd and 4th rounder.

No one is saying you shouldn't take trades offered to you because you are the commish, as you must also manage your team. Just realize that this is obviously so far over the top a lopsided deal that should you go on to win the league (granted, luck as far as inuries, etc may prevent that, but you are getting a HUGH advantage with this), you will likely lose a LOT of owners from your league.

921440[/snapback]

First off BC, love the avatar :D

If he did in fact offer this to the other owners and they weren't interested in a deal, and this is the deal that eventually came of it, AND he wins his league, the owners can only blame themselves. Thats why we play the game. The season starts as soon as they league is posted. No reason why someone, including the commish and outside of collusion, shouldn't be allowed to do whatever they feel is necessary to position their team for a chance to win it all. The rest IMHO, is sour grapes.

If these guys don't have the stones to play the game, let 'em leave and get some owners who do.

Just my 2 cents. That and $9.97 + tax, shipping and handling will get you TheHuddle.com's Fantasy Football Handbook 2005 :D

First off BC, love the avatar  :D

If he did in fact offer this to the other owners and they weren't interested in a deal, and this is the deal that eventually came of it, AND he wins his league, the owners can only blame themselves.  Thats why we play the game.  The season starts as soon as they league is posted.  No reason why someone, including the commish and outside of collusion, shouldn't be allowed to do whatever they feel is necessary to position their team for a chance to win it all.  The rest IMHO, is sour grapes.

If these guys don't have the stones to play the game, let 'em leave and get some owners who do.

Just my 2 cents.  That and $9.97 + tax, shipping and handling will get you TheHuddle.com's Fantasy Football Handbook 2005  :D

921466[/snapback]

I agree and I have no issue with the trade being accepted and put through as it is perfectly legal. However, having been a commish for many years, I have actually turned down and reworked offers from new owners that were lopsided in my favor. Yes, I like the money I can win, but the competition and having 10-12 serious owners is what gets my juices flowing. In this particular league, we have all been playing for about 9 years, this being our 5th or 6th as a keeper league with me as commish. I have never finished lower than 4th. I have also been fortunate in trades, but, one thing I am known as is the owner in the league that is willing to overpay for players I want, so teams will come to me when they are looking to make moves. I have built a very powerful team, but I have no griopes from owners about my tactics. We have another owner that has been playing a lot longer, and when we all were jsut starting out, he took advantage of all of us. He has not made a trade in 3 years other than some minro draft pick moves, because he has reamed all of us at one time or another when we did not know what was happening. His team did finish 3rd last year, but he has been struggling.

Basically, it comes down to there are times when the commish must make tough decisions about doing what is best for the team (take the trade as is) and what MAY be better for the league (adjust the trade to a more balanced deal). Moveing up 4 rounds TWICE is not fair compensation to drop 5 spots. It is insane overcompensation.

I agree and I have no issue with the trade being accepted and put through as it is perfectly legal. However, having been a commish for many years, I have actually turned down and reworked offers from new owners that were lopsided in my favor. Yes, I like the money I can win, but the competition and having 10-12 serious owners is what gets my juices flowing. In this particular league, we have all been playing for about 9 years, this being our 5th or 6th as a keeper league with me as commish. I have never finished lower than 4th. I have also been fortunate in trades, but, one thing I am known as is the owner in the league that is willing to overpay for players I want, so teams will come to me when they are looking to make moves. I have built a very powerful team, but I have no griopes from owners about my tactics. We have another owner that has been playing a lot longer, and when we all were jsut starting out, he took advantage of all of us. He has not made a trade in 3 years other than some minro draft pick moves, because he has reamed all of us at one time or another when we did not know what was happening. His team did finish 3rd last year, but he has been struggling.

Basically, it comes down to there are times when the commish must make tough decisions about doing what is best for the team (take the trade as is) and what MAY be better for the league (adjust the trade to a more balanced deal). Moveing up 4 rounds TWICE is not fair compensation to drop 5 spots. It is insane overcompensation.

921486[/snapback]

I have a couple leagues I have run for years and one I started ten years ago that is now up to $500 entry fee. I solve the problem by selecting two associate commissioners to review all trades, conflicts, disputes, rule change proposals etc. They help me keep perspective on things each year.

I have finished lower than fourth, and it happens, especially when decimated by injuries and holdouts. I also play in WAY too many leagues and varying formats. This year is my first year in an auction format, and I jumped into a big puddle for my coming out party...Dave Dorie is one of the team owners lol. Regardless, owners need to keep their perspective during the season and understand that everyone is attempting to win, and each may come at it with strikingly different philosophies and game plans.

The bottom line is, as long as the dealings are honest, let 'em go at it. A commish shouldn't be penalized for being the commish.