[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Taking a QB in the first round?

Grits and Shins

In a league where you can start 2 or 3 RBs, if all TDs are worth 6 points how early do you take Manning, Culpepper, McNabb or Bulger in a 12 team redrafter performance league? If you use DMDs projections you see a pretty good drop off between Manning and Culpepper, a smaller drop off between Culpepper and McNabb, a smaller drop off between McNabb and Bulger ... then a more significant drop off between Bulger and Favre. The drop off in RBs is a bit more severe and everybody will be starting more of them.

So when do you take Manning? In the mocks it looked like the teams that took Manning played catch up the rest of the draft.

DMD's QB projections adjusted for 6 point TDs (with yardage points and negative points for interceptions):

Manning, Peyton      493  Culpepper, Daunte    425  McNabb, Donovan      392  Bulger, Marc        	384.5Favre, Brett        	355  Hasselbeck, Matt    	347  Green, Trent        	345  Brooks, Aaron        341  Palmer, Carson      	340.5Brady, Tom          	338  Plummer, Jake        337  Brees, Drew          334  Vick, Michael        329  Leftwich, Byron      322  Collins, Kerry      	319  Carr, David          310  Griese, Brian        304  

DMD's RB projections:

Tomlinson, Ladainian	351.5James, Edgerrin      307  Holmes, Priest      	286.5Alexander, Shaun    	286  Davis, Domanick      281  McGahee, Willis      274.5Portis, Clinton      269  McAllister, Deuce    262  Dillon, Corey        248  Barber, Tiki        	241  Jones, Kevin        	236  Lewis, Jamal        	234  Jones, Julius        229.5Westbrook, Brian    	225.5Johnson, Rudi        221.5Green, Ahman        	221  Martin, Curtis      	219  Jordan, Lamont      	215  Jackson, Steven      211  Bell, Tatum          202.5Benson, Cedric      	198  Arrington, J.J.      197.5Brown, Chris        	197  Williams, Carnell    196  Dunn, Warrick        195.5Brown, Ronnie        190.5Staley, Duce        	173  Foster, De'shaun    	152  Barlow, Kevan        143  Toefield, Labrandon  135  Bennett, Michael    	134.5Faulk, Marshall      125  Johnson, Larry      	121.5Suggs, Lee          	110.5Bettis, Jerome      	103.5Buckhalter, Correll  100  Duckett, T.J.        100  Droughns, Reuben    	99.5 Pittman, Michael    	85.5 Jones, Thomas        82.5 

IMHO, if you look at an 8 round draft progression, taking Manning earlier than the 6th pick can be damaging to a team.

Culpepper should not figure as prominantly into people's draft plans this year. A quick analysis of his performance in games Moss didn't play over last year shows a HUGH dropoff in performance. People taking him in the second round will be disappointed. I might take him in the 4th round.

Wrong forum. :D

917450[/snapback]

Really?

How many mock drafts have we had in this forum?

How many CCS posts are there?

Other posts in the same vein:

Drew Carter-possible sleeper

D/ST

QB Value, Is Manning really a #1

Looking for Enlightenment

OK I found a reason to Draft Manning #1

Offline Drafting, Need some help

Any News on When "RHino" spreadsheet out?

And that's just on the first page.

Edited by Grits and Shins

Actually, to answer your question, from what I've seen, Nick makes a good point. If you take him too early, it becomes very hard to recover. Granted you'll have Manning, but will really take a hit at RB and WR.

I wouldn't take him before 7th or 8th. I wouldn't take another QB until the 4th round. McNabb because of the Owens issues, CPep without Moss, they both drop off from last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bulger outperform CPep and McNabb, and Bulger you can grab even later.

Really?

How many mock drafts have we had in this forum?

How many CCS posts are there?

Other posts in the same vein:

Drew Carter-possible sleeper

D/ST

QB Value, Is Manning really a #1

Looking for Enlightenment

OK I found a reason to Draft Manning #1

Offline Drafting, Need some help

Any News on When "RHino" spreadsheet out?

And that's just on the first page.

917469[/snapback]

:D

Did someone slap a padlock on yer nuts while you were napping?

On the original topic, in my 10 team league we also have two qbs start every week and six pt tds. From most mocks I've looked at and participated in, taking Manning early has not been crippling to the draft. In one recent mock, picking first and taking Manning, I was still able to get Portis and Holt with my next to picks. Having those three guys in the fold would allow me to draft best player available the rest of the way.

In my opinion, it is difficult to win if your first 1st round pick flops or underperforms. Manning won't throw 49 tds, but 35 seems likely and their is upside from there. His solid points every week are a strong base to go from. In my league if you get a 50 pt game from any player you are probably going to win the week. There is a better chance of Manning have multiple 50 pt games then say Tomlinson.

The combination of Manning in the first round and an intelligent, prepared drafter after that, looks like a playoff team to me.

On the original topic, in my 10 team league we also have two qbs start every week and six pt tds.  From most mocks I've looked at and participated in, taking Manning early has not been crippling to the draft.  In one recent mock, picking first and taking Manning, I was still able to get Portis and Holt with my next to picks.  Having those three guys in the fold would allow me to draft best player available the rest of the way.

In my opinion, it is difficult to win if your first 1st round pick flops or underperforms.  Manning won't throw 49 tds, but 35 seems likely and their is upside from there.  His solid points every week are a strong base to go from.  In my league if you get a 50 pt game from any player you are probably going to win the week.  There is a better chance of Manning have multiple 50 pt games then say Tomlinson. 

The combination of Manning in the first round and an intelligent, prepared drafter after that, looks like a playoff team to me.

917498[/snapback]

A 10 team league is a TOTALLY different animal. There's A LOT more talent to go around. My comments were directed at 12 team leagues and higher. Just for the record.

I'm currently drafting in a 12 team redraft league. I had the 7th pick and I took Manning. In this league TD passes are only worth 4 pts but at the time I couldn't pass up on Manning at 7.

If I had to do it over again I don't think I'd take him at 7 again. It forces you to reach for RB's in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds. And then after you're done reaching for those RB's you'll then be forced to reach for WR's in the 5th and 6th rounds. Here's what my draft looks like so far . . .

1.07 Manning

2.06 CMart - I was lucky he made it ot me

3.07 Michael Bennett - A serious reach here but there was not much else left on the board.

4.06 Fred Taylor - another reach

5.07 Hines Ward - fell in the draft because of his holdout. While I was reaching for questionable RB's everyone else in the draft took solid WR's.

6.06 Jeremy Shockey

7.07 Eddie Kennison

Taking Manning in the first has affected my entire draft. Reaching for RB's and then reaching for WR's.

BTW . . . Culpepper wasn't drafted until 3.03. Currently in the 7th round and 3 teams don't have QB's yet. Brees, Delhomme, Plummer, Brooks, Vick and many more are ALL still available.

Actually, to answer your question, from what I've seen, Nick makes a good point. If you take him too early, it becomes very hard to recover. Granted you'll have Manning, but will really take a hit at RB and WR.

917476[/snapback]

I don't agree in regards to Manning and CPEP. You do have to hope for a solid RB in later rounds, but every year there are WR's found late in drafts that play much bigger than where they were drafted. This goes for RBs too, and every year there are some 'TOP' RBs that don't perform at that level, some examples from last year are Ahman, Deuce M., and Jamal. When you have Manning and CPEP, these are can't miss guys (or at least have proven to be the last few years). I wouldn't be shocked to see Manning and Daunte go by #14 or so in drafts. Manning obviously much earlier......

I don't agree in regards to Manning and CPEP.  You do have to hope for a solid RB in later rounds, but every year there are WR's found late in drafts that play much bigger than where they were drafted.  This goes for RBs too, and every year there are some 'TOP' RBs that don't perform at that level, some examples from last year are Ahman, Deuce M., and Jamal.  When you have Manning and CPEP, these are can't miss guys (or at least have proven to be the last few years).  I wouldn't be shocked to see Manning and Daunte go by #14 or so in drafts.  Manning obviously much earlier......

917506[/snapback]

Only thing you're missing is that CPep is no longer the threat he was when Moss was there. If you think he's going to put up the same numbes throwing to Burleson and Taylor, you're kidding yourself.

Ahman Green had 1438 yards in 15 games. Not bad.

Jamal Lewis had 1022 yards in 12 games. Not bad. We all knew about the suspension, you can't hold that against his numbers.

McAllister had 1302 yards and 10 TD's. Not bad either.

Fantasy Jesus ... that is exactly my question ... at what point in the draft can you take Manning and not be in catch up mode.

917509[/snapback]

Sorry not to provide more detail, but if you use the search function, I have already posted in detail on this topic several times. Individual drafts will vary, but the crux of the matter is that I have determined 6th as my earliest Manning selection in 12 team performance leagues.

Yeah, and they're all in the wrong forum too. :D:D

Two wrongs don't make a right. 3 lefts do. :D

917470[/snapback]

Let's not forget these posts in the wrong forum:

Edmund Fitzgerald Award

Raiders Homer Needed ASAP

Attention all 32 Homers members

HAG Commissioners

DirectTV's Superfan

Edmund Fitzgerald Award

HAG Commissioners

DirectTV's Superfan

917524[/snapback]

Edmund Fitzgerald Award

HAG Commissioners

DirectTV's Superfan

917527[/snapback]

What a newbie. :D

Fantasy Jesus ... that is exactly my question ... at what point in the draft can you take Manning and not be in catch up mode.

917509[/snapback]

Hard to say Grits.

The best chance you have of recovering is only if other teams also start taking QB's either late 1st rd or early 2nd. Unfortunately for me in the draft scenario I gave you CPepp did not go until 3.03.

McNabb went at 4.04

Bulger went at 4.07

Trent Green went at 5.12

People are holding off on taking the Moss-less CPepp who is usually the 2nd QB taken in most drafts. So while you take Manning in the first other teams are taking all the stud RB's and stud WR's leaving yo with reaches.

Does the dominance of Manning when compared to other QB's make up for the 2nd tier RB's you'll get later?

In my example I gave you I was very happy to get Cmart in the 2nd. Hopefully either Bennet or Taylor at RB2 work out for me but I'm not too confident of that.

Then I need my reach WR's to perform.

IMO . . . take a stud RB in the first.