[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

EJ Henderson

Hey, y'all. I just got back from a week in Minnesota and I got to read the daily training camp reports in the St. Paul Pioneer Press. The one thing I read a couple of times that I haven't seen elsewhere is that Tice and Cottrell decided to try E.J. Henderson as the starting weak-side linebacker. Tice didn't say it was permanent, but he did say he's giving E.J. the opportunity to hold it down.

Hope that helps a few peeps. :D

LINK

MANKATO, Minn. -- Dontarrious Thomas had a strong first week of training camp, turning Minnesota's competition at weakside linebacker between him and Raonall Smith into a one-sided affair.

But Thomas was back with the second team on Tuesday -- E.J. Henderson had instead taken his place. The Vikings have been impressed by Henderson's comeback from a disappointing season as their middle linebacker, but veteran Sam Cowart is in front of him there.

"I think it's just about me trying to get on the field," Henderson said. "If I can do that, everything else will take care of itself."

Edited by Ziachild007

It looks as if D Thomas will be playing waterboy in '05...

Vikings | Henderson Looking Like a Starter

Sun, 21 Aug 2005 06:01:06 -0700

The Star Tribune reports Minnesota Vikings LB E.J. Henderson passed his two-game audition at weakside linebacker and will be the starter at that position.

Also...

link:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/

The Vikings' two-week project at weak-side linebacker appears to have been a success.

Vikings coach Mike Tice said E.J. Henderson has played well enough to remain the starter there.

"He looked great. I'm proud of him," Tice said. "He's had a great preseason, great training camp, and he played real well (Friday night), made a tackle in space, over by their bench, which was one of our questions." Tice added that he was particularly pleased because Henderson did not pout when the team traded for veteran Sam Cowart to replace him at middle linebacker.

"It's paid off for him. So good for him," Tice said.

Henderson was not available for comment. But he said Thursday night that he was adjusting to the speed of the game. He also reiterated his intentions.

"I want to do what I've got to do to get out there with the other 10 guys," he said.

Meanwhile, Tice said Dontarrious Thomas, who Henderson supplanted as the starting weak-side linebacker, continues to play well, giving the Vikings depth. Now, Tice said he needs to figure out whether rookie free agent Heath Farwell is a legitimate prospect, so Farwell will get a chance to play special teams with the first-string units Friday against the San Diego Chargers.

Tice said Farwell, Raonall Smith and Rod Davis are battling for the final spot at linebacker.