[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Am I putting too much value on Drew Bennett?

Locness_Monster

I am thinking that Bennett has a huge year. Here's why:

1. He's now the No. 1.

2. Norm Chow loves spreading the ball around, taking what the D gives him, but he also loves having a big No. 1 in the red zone.

3. McNair should stay healthy, as Chow does a great job of protecting his QBs. Even if McNair goes down, Bennett and Volek seemed to have good chemistry.

4. The Titans should be playing from behind in most of their games. Air it out!!!

Anyone want to play devil's advocate?

Drew's never been the number #1 for a full season.

It is yet to tell how well he'll do trying to shake all of the #1 CBs he'll be facing.

I've yet to take Drew in any draft I've done this season.

I've got a feeling he's gonna turn into Peerless Price and disappear

I don't think he'll disappear ala Price, but only time will tell how he'll do facing better CBs and double coverage. He's a huge target, he does have that over Price. His QBs are better too.

Tennessee's D really looks in trouble this year, so garbage time will play a factor.

I am thinking that Bennett has a huge year.  Here's why:

1.  He's now the No. 1. 

2.  Norm Chow loves spreading the ball around, taking what the D gives him, but he also loves having a big No. 1 in the red zone.

3.  McNair should stay healthy, as Chow does a great job of protecting his QBs.  Even if McNair goes down, Bennett and Volek seemed to have good chemistry.

4.  The Titans should be playing from behind in most of their games.  Air it out!!!

Anyone want to play devil's advocate?

941946[/snapback]

All valid points. If I can get him in the late rounds I might take shot. However, I have a feeling that he'll be drafted too high in my league by the guy who picked him up last year.

IMO Calico and Troupe are big keys to Bennett's value. If they're healed up and ready to rock, I figure Bennett will have enough room to maneuver and should have a solid year (especially considering all the garbage time he'll be getting).

All in all, I see Bennett being a top 12 guy this year--80/1200/8.

I'm high on Bennett myself. He's #1 right now and I can't look past that plain and simple. I worry about Calico becoming the #1 more so, but he has yet to do anything so you can't put much stock into Calico.

But the good signs are there:

- He's #1 now, he's being targeted as the first passing option

- Most tend to agree that TEN will be playing catch up. They lost way too many starters on D

- He has 2 good QBs, he comes with an insurance policy

- Norm Chow protects his QB. Give McNair time and might see another MVP season from him.

I like his situation, TEN lets Mason go for a reason.

I see the yards being there for him. I just wouldn't count on all those TDs again.

Bennett was taken in the 4th round of both the leagues I play this weekend. This league is full of veterans (although one rookie joined in both leagues this weekend and they will struggle).

I think if he stays healthy you will get solid numbers. Titan defense is beyond atrocious and the Titans have an OC (Norm Chow) who knows how to get points. I drafted the Titans QB behind Culpepper in one of my leagues.

...in college.  psst - so did Steve Spurrier.

That said, in a 12 team league I'd be happy to have him as my #2 WR.

942124[/snapback]

Maybe so, but early returns are very positive...The Titans are currently tracking as one of the top 3 passing teams in the nfl thus far in pre-season. Yea, I know its pre-season, but thats a good sign.

McNair flew off the board really early Saturday in my league and then I came back Sunday in the other league I got and gobbled up the Titans QBs to back Duante, who I amazingly got in both leagues (drafted #5 in one league, #2 in the other). I am a MONSTER fan of the QB this year.

The difference between Spurrier and Chow is pretty significant:

1. Chow uses a TE and FB. Spurrier's "Fun & Gun" was 3-5 WRs on every play.

2. Chow emphasizes protecting the QB. Chow uses bootlegs, rollouts, moving the pocket, and will call 1 and 2-man routes with max protection. I think the only QB protection SOS used effectively was crying about FSU's "late hits" in 1996.

3. Chow takes what defenses give him. He looks for weak spots. His play calls in the 1st half are set-ups for 2nd half plays. Spurrier loves to with the seam routes, posts, skinny posts, deep ins. His QBs are taught to read safeties with little regard for the "underneath" coverage.

4. Chow's offense was proven against superior athletes. I don't want to start a flame war here, but the offenses in the SEC are ancient, moreso when SOS started at UF. The SEC didn't know what hit them. After he left, the next "innovative" OC was maybe Al Borges at Auburn in 2004. Jimbo Fisher at LSU is a good one, but he is not an "out of the box" OC. When Chow got the athletes at USC, it was like a kid in a candy store.

I think he's over valued. He came out of nowhere last year and put up sick numbers when TEN played a few games in a row against the worst pass defenses in the NFL. I think it was more taking advantage of the opportunities against those bad defenses rather than being an indicator of things to come this year.