[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matt Jones

Randall

Matt Jones - WR, Jacksonville Jaguars 08/25/05

Matt Jones has only had second half duty with the reserves in his first two preseason games but is slated to play as the slot receiver in the Thursday night's game against the Falcons. Jones has been practicing with the first team and will be filling the role that Troy Edwards had in 2004.

Huddle Up: Jones is already tied for the team lead during the preseason with five catches for 93 yards (18.6 ypc) with one touchdown scored. He's been well under the radar of most fantasy teams but the game against the Falcons should help him make a case for more fantasy attention. An ex-quarterback who is 6'6" and yet has freakish speed, Jones was taken in the first round last April with hopes he would develop into a rare weapon.

The Great White Hope

or Hype  :D

947184[/snapback]

Could be. Great speed and jumping ability though. I thought he was projected as a TE before the draft. If he doesn't work as a WR he could go there.

Time will tell. Pitt has 2 ex QB's and Hines Ward is good.

Could be. Great speed and jumping ability though. I thought he was projected as a TE before the draft. If he doesn't work as a WR he could go there.

947643[/snapback]

I'm hoping to take a late round flyer on this guy in my draft. With his size, he could get his share of TDs in the red zone. From what I've read, he might be able to take Reggie Williams' job throughout the year.

947643[/snapback]

What? Pitt?

before everyone gets all hyped up on his height and end zone capabilities, remember that Jax WRs are all tall. Smith is probably the shortest starter and I think he is around 6'1".

R. Williams is 6'4" and E.Wilford is 6'4" and they are athletic as well. Don't get me wrong, I am very exicted about Jones and his potential, but I have thought about these guys as a group this year and they are some big cats...

Jax Roster

Edited by cmoore

I meant WR's, Ward and Randall El. Ex -QB's. Ward at GA and Randall El I think at Iowa.

947691[/snapback]

ah, okay. You lost me there for some reason. Carry on.

Just out of curiousity....who do you think will have a better fantasy year. M. Jones or Reggie? There has been a lot of hype coming out of Jag camp about Reggie, but is it just that, or will he come through. My guess is yes. For two reasons.

1) J. Smith is 36 years old. He can't be the man forever, and this may be the year he gives way to a younger, new no. 1 receiver.

2) Not only is M. Jones a rookie, but he's a former college QB, who's making a position change. He may get 6-8 TD's (absolute best cast scenerio), but I don't see him getting more than 40 catches and 500 yds. And that's being generous...

I don't think that Jones will have a huge year this year, and I'm an Arkansas homer. What I will say is that the hype is because there are few in the league with his combo of height, size, speed and jumping ability. He could be an absolute stud in a few years.

I do think we will contribue this year for the Jags though. No one is really standing out and Smtih has had a pretty poor camp.

This guy's stock is ridiculously on the rise IMO. People see former QB + ability + some nice preseason stats and think Anquan Boldin I guess. I was offered Bulger for him in a very passing-QB-friendly dynasty league (new owners... :D ). Even though I have Peyton already, I said thank you sir may I have another?

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Just out of curiousity....who do you think will have a better fantasy year.  M. Jones or Reggie?  There has been a lot of hype coming out of Jag camp about Reggie, but is it just that, or will he come through.  My guess is yes.  For two reasons.

1)  J. Smith is 36 years old.  He can't be the man forever, and this may be the year he gives way to a younger, new no. 1 receiver.

2)  Not only is M. Jones a rookie, but he's a former college QB, who's making a position change.  He may get 6-8 TD's (absolute best cast scenerio), but I don't see him getting more than 40 catches and 500 yds.  And that's being generous...

947843[/snapback]

I think Williams. This guy was the 7th pick last year and he should be nuch further along, unless Jones goes Stokely and always pulls the lesser DB in the machtups and excels for that reason. Jax offense needs to show something before anyone on that offense is worth drafting...

If anything happens to Jimmy, coke, broken hip, whatever, this jones kid could really go off.

As it is now, he is a great #3. Ex QB's are great at route running and seeing the whole game, unless your name is krydell.

He will get more stats that Reggie this year... talk about a bust.

i took him at 1.13 in the fusion rookie draft, but in subsequent drafts(keeper leagues, redraft), i haven't touched him. i'm finding other values so it has kept me away(travis taylor, sammie parker, justin mcareins). i like his prospects for next yr and beyond but he still could put up decent #3 numbers this yr. he'll stay on my taxi squad in fusion until i see more out of him.

I always wondered why a team wouldn't try a former b-baller with height. Harold Carmichel was like 6'8", right? Just overthrow everything and let him out jump everyone. I think they tried that in the old days. Also throw him out there to block some kicks. Thank God I'm not a coach.

2)  Not only is M. Jones a rookie, but he's a former college QB, who's making a position change.  He may get 6-8 TD's (absolute best cast scenerio), but I don't see him getting more than 40 catches and 500 yds.  And that's being generous...

947843[/snapback]

I actually think the "former QB" thing helps players understand the nuances of the passing game BETTER than another rookie might; Jones probably realizes, for example, how important it is for a WR to be EXACTLY where the QB is expecting him to be. Former QB = mental leg up.

Now, whether or not he can make the transition PHYSICALLY is another matter, but I hear the guy has the physical tools of Achilles, so that's probably not too big of a concern.

I think Williams. This guy was the 7th pick last year and he should be nuch further along, unless Jones goes Stokely and always pulls the lesser DB in the machtups and excels for that reason. Jax offense needs to show something before anyone on that offense is worth drafting...

947993[/snapback]

open mouth, insert foot...what a catch by Jones. :D