[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TSN ranks the NFL stadiums

Chavez

I've always thought the best stadium amenity is the look on the face of any fool who puts on his "costume" (a la the criminals in the Black Hole) when his team is getting it's ass whupped.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30. Monster Park, San Francisco - This crumbling pit has outlived its usefulness, or whatever usefulness it might have once had. Built in 1959, it's the oldest stadium in the NFL -- and it feels like it.

Lambeau Field was orginally built in 1957.

And the original Soldier Field was built long before that. But does that still count after the renovation? :D

Arrowhead is the best stadium in the NFL to see a game, if a game is what you are there to see. Lambeau a very close 2nd or 1b.

You can have all the ships and shyte, I will take a great atmosphere, great fans, and great food any day.

He kind of betrays his ignorance about some of the fields.

The McAfee Coliseum in Oakland is not in the top tiers of stadiums in this country, but the facility is not so bad either. Anywhere you can get good BBQ can't be all bad. Also, the "Black Hole" is the name of the area behind the south end zone, not the stadium itself, and the "Mausoleum" was a nick-name given by the fans in the sense that the Coliseum is where opposing teams go to die--not talking about the place itself.

P.S.--I agree that the pirate ship in Tampa Bay is cheesey Disneyland stuff.

Any article that calls the pirate ship at Tampa stadium 'one of the best features of any NFL stadium' and not a 'monument to white trash living' has it's priorities wacked.

952913[/snapback]

What the hell does a pirate ship have to do with "white trash living"?

FWIW, I think the pirate ship is genius. 

952996[/snapback]

A pirate ship is a great idea if you're filming a Peter Pan movie or Captain Jack Sparrow is in da house; otherwise, it's cheesy, Harry High-school stuff.

953006[/snapback]

:D

Well once again Swerski and I find ourselves in the ackward position of agreeing on something. I like Swerski a lot more when we disagree; however I have to tell Chavez and Pope to quit being so old fashioned.

You guys are used to the cold. We get it, you don't have to keep taking yer shirts off in sub zero wind chills. At least Eagles fans know they're disgusting and leave their shirts on. :D Your franchises have great traditions but that doesn't make the stadiums nice. Of course I think Texas Stadium is a $hit hole and an embarrassment to my great franchise.

Mainly, I think it'd be cool to be on the pirate ship when they fire the cannons.

I have heard for menough people; however, how awesome games at Arrowhead are and I've witnessed enough on tv that when you combine that stadium with supposedly the best tailgating around and that is one place I really want to make sure I catch a game at.

He kind of betrays his ignorance about some of the fields.

The McAfee Coliseum in Oakland is not in the top tiers of stadiums in this country, but the facility is not so bad either.  Anywhere you can get good BBQ can't be all bad.  Also, the "Black Hole" is the name of the area behind the south end zone, not the stadium itself, and the "Mausoleum" was a nick-name given by the fans in the sense that the Coliseum is where opposing teams go to die--not talking about the place itself.

955133[/snapback]

One thing I sort of took is that there are a TON of great stadiums in the NFL; you have to get down to #18 (Sun Devil) to find a place that is generally acknowledged to be a craphole. Heck, having been to Qualcomm (#28), I thought it was a decent enough stadium - even from our nosebleed seats, we had great sightlines and comfy seats, and you certainly couldn't beat the weather. Concessions were kind of a mess, but I chalked that up to SoCali people not being prepared for tens of thousands of hard-drinkin', big-eatin' Wisconsinites.

What the hell does a pirate ship have to do with "white trash living"?

FWIW, I think the pirate ship is genius.  Al Davis should've thought of it 30 years ago.

952996[/snapback]

I agree and Al should buy one still. It would be a sweet sight to watch him walk the plank from the nose bleed section!!! :D:D:D

27. Metrodome, Minnesota

The only thing worse than watching a football game here is watching a baseball game here. I don't believe I've ever left the place without a headache, thanks to the preposterously loud sound effects. The air-inflated, fiberglass roof allows for some natural lighting, but everything else about this place feels artificial. Its nickname is the Humpdome, but it should be the Dumpdome

That about sums it up. Although I have never heard it called the humpdome :D What the hell is a humpdome?

:D I noticed that.  It is in a great location, but as stadium's go, I think it's pretty sterile.

I've been to KC, Chicago, Miami, Tennessee, and Riverfront in Cincinnati.

Only Riverfront was worse than the RCA Dome.

953040[/snapback]

:D If you mean the old Soldier Field, you evidently didn't stand in line in three inches of urine to take a pi$$ post-game. :D

:D

Well once again Swerski and I find ourselves in the ackward position of agreeing on something.  I like Swerski a lot more when we disagree; however I have to tell Chavez and Pope to quit being so old fashioned. 

You guys are used to the cold.  We get it, you don't have to keep taking yer shirts off in sub zero wind chills.  At least Eagles fans know they're disgusting and leave their shirts on.  :D  Your franchises have great traditions but that doesn't make the stadiums nice.  Of course I think Texas Stadium is a $hit hole and an embarrassment to my great franchise. 

955134[/snapback]

Hey, I don't even show off the sweater vest in SUMMER much less winter.

Anyhoo, I don't think cold weather is a necessity for a great stadium - some of the great college fields are in the SEC. To me, it's about making game atmosphere about, well, THE GAME, not about the peripherals. It's along a similar line as the NFL always bringing in the "big-name" acts who suck for Super Bowl halftime - they want spectacle and to bring in the casual/non-fans. F*ck them, I say.

Hubert H, presumably, but I've never heard it called that either.

955643[/snapback]

I recall it getting coined the "Rollerdome" after Da Coach slammed any and all domes as being good only for "tractor pulls and roller derbies."

7. Heinz Field, Pittsburgh - What makes Heinz special is the open south end zone. A huge community concourse allows spectators to have views of where the Ohio, Allegheny and Monongahela rivers intersect. The gold seats are a nice touch. When the Steelers score, the Heinz bottle atop the scoreboard tips and pours. No other stadium has made the potentially ugly specter of a corporate sponsor so entertaining. Heinz Field is pleasing to the eye, and it gives class to Pittsburgh's North Shore.

This is my team....and I've got to disagree....lol. The "gold" is the most hideous shade of yellow and isn't Steeler gold at all.

It's more of that yellow-green fluorescent metallic. Gawd awful I thought. :D

When the Steelers score, the Heinz bottle atop the scoreboard tips and pours.

:D How did I miss this one?

Man, I can't tell you how often I celebrate a Packer/Badger/Eskymo score with a big dollop o'catsup.

26. FedEx Field, Washington - This is an abomination that lacks the convenience and style of its predecessor, RFK Stadium. You get the feeling this place is more about money than football. When you're here, you feel like a pebble in the Grand Canyon. Everything is overdone, and the corporate presence is oppressive -- there's a Hooters on site, for crying out loud. The stadium is in the middle of nowhere, and traffic is a nightmare. But trying to park makes traffic seem like a dream.

Agree...my only surprise is there are 5 worst stadiums than this dump. There is no redeeming quality to watching a game here. Even the "Hail to the Redskins" chorus never makes it to field level as they are lost among the perpetually empty club seats in the middle of the stadium. I once shat on the 50-yard line and the stadium moved up two spots on the rankings.

13. Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City - Like the Beatles, Arrowhead, which opened in 1972, still plays well after all these years. Other stadiums from its era have become rubble, but this remains a premier facility and a big reason why the Chiefs always sell out. You get a nice feel for the team and its history here. With less traffic and more bathrooms, Arrowhead would rate higher.

There have been rumblings that Arrowhead's days may be numbered. It seems that the "other" Kansas City (the one that's actually in Kansas) is looking to lure the Chiefs across the state line.

16. The Coliseum, Tennessee - This stadium creates a strong game-day presence. It doesn't feel as big and intimidating as a lot of other stadiums, kind of like Nashville itself. A large percentage of the seats are on the sidelines, which is ideal for viewing the action. The open end zones provide a spacious feel.

The Coliseum was patterned after Raymond James Stadium in Tampa (minus the pirate ship). And they said cookie-cutter stadiums were a thing of the past...

19. Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans - This is a striking building from the outside. It's the best of the pure domes, even though it opened in 1975. The Superdome obviously was conceived with vision and foresight, and the concourses and ramps are well-done. But it still is a dome, and the interior is nothing special. The good news for Saints fans looking to forget a tough loss: They are just a few stumbles from Bourbon Street.

It has also proven to be a solid shelter for New Orleanders(?) stuck in town during Hurricane Katrina. Unfortunately the rest of the city was devastated, and that doesn't bode well for the Saints staying in town, especially not with the NFL still determined to put a team in Los Angeles. That team could well turn out to be the Saints by default.

20. ALLTEL Stadium, Jacksonville - This stadium is too big for the city; six of eight games were TV blackouts last season. Even covering nearly 10,000 seats, which the Jaguars will do this season, won't help much. The stadium lacks charm and personality, except for the dramatic light towers. Its location on the St. Johns River makes it somewhat difficult to access.

The stadium was built as much for college football (it replaces the old Gator Bowl stadium, and still hosts the annual Gator Bowl game as well as Florida-Georgia) as for the NFL. The large capacity also presumably was a factor in its being selected to host last year's Super Bowl.

21. RCA Dome, Indianapolis - The interior is somewhat drab, but as domes go, it could be worse. This place, smack-dab in the middle of downtown Indianapolis, is just a few steps from a slew of hotels and inviting restaurants and bars. With a capacity of 57,890, the RCA Dome is the right size for its city, and as NFL stadiums go, it's almost cozy.

The RCA Dome's design was patterned after the Metrodome, which opened two years earlier. I wonder what will become of the place once the "House that Peyton Built" is finished.

27. Metrodome, Minnesota -The only thing worse than watching a football game here is watching a baseball game here. I don't believe I've ever left the place without a headache, thanks to the preposterously loud sound effects. The air-inflated, fiberglass roof allows for some natural lighting, but everything else about this place feels artificial. Its nickname is the Humpdome, but it should be the Dumpdome.

Fortunately the Metrodome's days may be numbered, as both the Twins and Vikings are looking to build separate outdoor stadiums. The Vikings' stadium would be in the northern Twin Cities exurbs.

31. Georgia Dome, Atlanta- The odd roof makes this place look like an oversized circus tent. Is there any reason for a dome in this climate?

Georgia doesn't get real winter weather very often, but by no means is it unheard of. Remember the ice storm that hit Atlanta the week before Super Bowl XXXIV? (Pompei obviously doesn't.) It coated the whole town in a layer of glazed ice. IIRC it was still pretty darned cold there on game day. That wouldn't have been any fun for the Rams or Titans to practice or play in, much less for the spectators.

Edited by Pack Mentality

Ummmm......isn't football a winter sport? :D The southern stadiums have domes and such for the wimpy, thin-blooded fans. :D

Real fans freeze their tookiss off sitting on frozen seats in zero degree weather during whiteout snow squalls. :D

And some of them are insane enough to be nekkid with little more than body paint and furry chests to stave off the frigid, bitter cold. :D

OK.....so those guys are idiots.

What was I saying again? :D Oh yeah. Winter Sport. :D

Edited by SteelBunz

Ummmm......isn't football a winter sport?  :D  The southern stadiums have domes and such for the wimpy, thin-blooded fans. :D

Real fans freeze their tookiss off sitting on frozen seats in zero degree weather during whiteout snow squalls. :D 

And some of them are insane enough to be nekkid with little more than body paint and furry chests to stave off the frigid, bitter cold. :D 

OK.....so those guys are idiots. 

What was I saying again? :D  Oh yeah.  Winter Sport. :D

958768[/snapback]

Well, actually it's a fall sport. And in any event, without a roof on the place, Atlanta would probably have had zero chance of hosting a Super Bowl. Their winters may be mild, but it sure as hell ain't Florida.

Hockey, now that's a winter sport. (Never mind that the Stanley Cup Finals are played in June.)