[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ESPN Chris Mortenson comments on

GRIDIRON JUNKY

Chris said tonight on Monday Night Countdown that:

"The Chiefs will use priest/ LJ on a 70/30 or maybe a 60/40 split"

How true is his comments? All I have heard (which isn't much) is that Vermeil says it is Priest and always will be priest and there is no 1 and 1A. This comment from Vermeil was about month ago before LJ has been tearing it up this preseason. Has anyone officially said that it would be split time?

I have priest and couldn't reach LJ. Very concerned!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

That falls in line with WHAT??? I'm hearing here in KC.

Carl Peterson was asked that question while being interviewed during the Chiefs/Seahawk game. He said "both backs will play heavily this year."

After that comment I see a clear case of 1A and 1B this year. Holmes’ numbers will be hurt significantly and FF players will have to play the same game they have had to with Denver’s’ backs. You will not know which back is going to be the better point scorer week to week and which one will get the TD’s.

954623[/snapback]

Take the above as you wish ...

Edited by Kansas State 2000

That falls in line with WHAT??? I'm hearing here in KC.

955847[/snapback]

What falls in line? That they will split at some percentage or that it is Priest's job to lose?

Guest THEbigred

I doubt LJ gets even 1/3 of the action.

The day you listen to ESPN for FF advice is the day you might as well just mail in your money to the league.

The day you listen to ESPN for FF advice is the day you might as well just mail in your money to the league.

955862[/snapback]

Hey, Suzy Kolber took Favre in the 2nd round of the "celebrity" draft. She clearly knows her stuff. :D

I am a Priest owner who wasn't able to nab LJ later in the draft. Not only is Priest an injury concern now, but talks of RBBC? Well, I think the smart thing to do is not react too fast here. My plan is to wait til the season starts and see how many carries LJ vultures from Priest. Then I will decide what to do from there.

LJ is at the height of his value right now.  Trade him for a top tier wr right now!

955917[/snapback]

:D

This makes sense to a certian degree, but on the other hand I don't see anyone giving up better than a low second tier WR for him at this point.

I'm planning on riding the storm out. In my 2 keeper leagues, I am not trading the guy. If all goes well, he's one of my 2 keepers for next season in each league.

In the 3 redraft leagues I own him in, one I also own Priest, so it would make on sense to trade him. In 32 more Homers, I can't imagine getting anything worthwhile for him, but this is where you have me thinking the most. In the last league, Polk has Priest and autodrafted his team. It's a better team than he could probably have drafted himself, but I don't see anything I want for LJ, except the Tony Gonzalez he won't give me.

When Priest gets injured, what is 70% of nothing?  :D

956839[/snapback]

Not quite sure why folks talk about Priest like he is Fred Taylor or Dom Davis. The guy does not get nicked up and miss a game here or a game there or is a game time decision every week. He blew out his knee in Baltimore (like Edge, Willis), got tackled from behind on his way to an 80 yard TD and messed up his hip, which he proved he was fully recovered from by setting the TD mark in 2003. Last year he had another season ending injury.

What is it assumed he will get hurt again? His age? Well, sure he is 32, but he is not a 32 year old that has been taking a beating for 10 years. He has only played 102 games = 6 1/3 seasons, and only started 73 games or 4.5 full seasons.

The guy does nothing but produce yet gets shat on every year around this time. Amazing. Here is a fun stat. He started 38 games over the last 3 years and socred at least 1 TD in 31 of those games. 20 of those 38 games he had 2 or more TDs. Show me any other players in league history (over the last decade or two) with those number that has no chance of getting hurt and I will draft him above Priest.

The history of running backs past the age of 30 combined with two recent season ending surgeries increase the odds that Priest will miss some time. Add in the fact there is a good, young back waiting on the bench. . .

Edited by CaptainHook

The history of running backs past the age of 30 combined with two recent season ending surgeries increase the odds that Priest will miss some time.  Add in the fact there is a good, young back waiting on the bench. . .

956878[/snapback]

What history are you referring to, exactly? I see guys like Corey Dillon, Curtis Martin, Tiki Barber, Warrick Dunn going rather well. In fact some having career years post-30. This age 30 thing seems to be a popular thing for FF folks to spit out without really thinking about it... in fact...

I see the injury report over the last 12 months littered with young guys like De'shaun Foster, Lee Suggs, Dom Davis, Chris Brown, Duce Staley, Deuce McAllister, Michael Bennett, Marcel Shipp. So much for youth helping out with overcoming or avoiding injuries.

Also, how does Holmes' two prior injuries affect this season? Is Willis likely to get hurt or Edge? They both missed entire seasons in the past 3-4 years. How does that connect, exactly?

Priest, LJ and Blaylock had a combined 500 touches last year (434 rush, 66 pass), 2723 yards and 35 total TD's.

Assuming the touches, yards and TD's equal last seasons, here's the breakdown:

70/30 split

Priest - 350 touches, 1906 yards, 25 TD's

Johnson - 150 touches, 817 yards, 10 TD's

60/40 split

Priest - 300 touches, 1634 yards, 21 TD's

Johnson - 200 touches, 1089 yards, 14 TD's

I could live either of those totals from Priest

EDIT to add:

Huddle projections for these two are:

Priest - 1640, 18 TD's

Johnson - 650, 8 TD's

Apply the splits to Huddle projections, it would look like this:

70/30

Priest - 1603, 18 TD's

Johnson - 687, 8 TD's

60/40

Priest - 1374, 16 TD's

Johnson - 916, 12 TD's

Once again, I could live with these numbers.

Edited by Fenokee

What history are you referring to, exactly?  I see guys like Corey Dillon, Curtis Martin, Tiki Barber, Warrick Dunn going rather well.  In fact some having career years post-30.  This age 30 thing seems to be a popular thing for FF folks to spit out without really thinking about it... in fact...

956898[/snapback]

I said PAST the age of 30. Corey Dillon, Tiki Barber, Warrick Dunn are all 30. And Dunn isn't the picture of health. He gets hurt EVERY year.

Eddie George. Marshall Faulk, Dorsey Levens, Stephen Davis, Emmitt Smith, Thurman Thomas, Jerome Bettis, Ricky Watters, and Eric Dickerson all saw declines in production as they progressed into their early-thirties. They got injured more often. Are they still capable of a good season? Sure. Look at Bettis last year. And of course, there are guys like Curtis Martin that are the exception. But more often than not, stats drop, and injuries mount as a player heads into their thirties. . .

Edited by CaptainHook

955862[/snapback]

Normally I would agree, but this isn't fantasy advice really. Chris Mortensen is usually right on the money with the information he gets.