[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who will have the better year?

RokoMotion

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go with Burleson, simply because MIN's defense dictates that Daunte will throw the ball a lot.  That's probably not going to be the case in CAR and Fox prefers to run the ball.

957923[/snapback]

How do explain Mushin's numbers last year then. :D

That's probably not going to be the case in CAR and Fox prefers to run the ball.

957923[/snapback]

I agree on that point, but by the same token I'd say Delhomme strapping the team to his back last year and keeping them in the playoff hunt until the last week should at least remove any reservations Fox may have about putting the ball in his hands in key situations. I'd say he'll split the difference on his '03 and '04 stats, which is 3500 yds and 24 tds - and given the lack of pass-catching backs and TEs in Car, the vast majority of that goes to WRs. Pep will throw the ball more, but he's got more targets at WR, RB, AND TE than Delhomme to spread it around to.

How do explain Mushin's numbers last year then. :D

957943[/snapback]

Might have had something to do with the Cats being down to their 5th or 6th string RB....

Might have had something to do with the Cats being down to their 5th or 6th string RB....

957950[/snapback]

It seems to me that there is a likelyhood that they will be down to their 3rd and 4th stringers as the season wears on.

It seems to me that there is a likelyhood that they will be down to their 3rd and 4th stringers as the season wears on.

957967[/snapback]

Not the most unlikely scenario I've ever heard...though draftee Shelton has talent and Goings should have the confidence of the coaching staff by now.

Regardless of Chavez' insight, I will go with Steve Smith due to the fact that he has proven that he his capable of handling being a #1 WR. (if it is for only one full year). Nate definately has more upside....but he also has more downside than Steve Smith.

Did you not see Culepepper and Burleson tear it up last year when Moss was out. I expect a big year out of Burleson.

957989[/snapback]

29-397-4 over 5 games ain't bad; of course, he went 11-141-1 against GB's awful D so that tempers the enthusiasm a bit. Still, he got 26% of Pep's comp (29-113), 33% of his passing yds (397/1181), and 40% of his tds (4/10). If Pep is in the neighborhood of his 3-year averages (336-4016-27) and those ratios hold, yeah, that's a VERY nice year (84-1300-9).

Edit: or simply triple his 5-game run and you get 87-1200-12. Of course, the smaller the sample size, the more likely it's skewed in some way.

Edited by Chavez

I took Burleson, then came back and took S. Smith.  I like them both and expect strong WR numbers from each of them. 

I took Burleson at the end of the 3rd round, then took Horn to start the 4th, and came back with S. Smith in the 5th.

958014[/snapback]

Nice WRs. :D

And before it gets said, I have no axe to grind in either direction; as a matter of fact, my 1/2 WR punch in a league is going to be Smith/Burleson, which I'm pretty happy with.

Did you not see Culepepper and Burleson tear it up last year when Moss was out. I expect a big year out of Burleson.

957989[/snapback]

Dude!?! What games were you watching cuase I only see 1 game were Nate "Tore It Up"

10/24 6 catches for 53 yards

10/31 NYG 6 catches for 43 yards and 1 TD

11/08 @IND 1 catch for 8 yards and 1 TD

11/14 @GB 11 catches for 141 yards and 1 TD

11/21 DET 5 catches for 52 yard and 1 TD

With my modified performance league scoring, Nate didnt even rank in the top 20 each week Moss was out except for one week were he just barely eekeed into the top 10. Different story if you are in a TD only league however.

Dude!?! What games were you watching cuase I only see 1 game were Nate "Tore It Up"

10/24 6 catches for 53 yards

10/31 NYG  6 catches for 43 yards and 1 TD

11/08 @IND 1 catch for 8 yards and 1 TD

11/14 @GB 11 catches for 141 yards and  1 TD

11/21 DET 5 catches for 52 yard and 1 TD

With my modified performance league scoring, Nate didnt even rank in the top 20 each week Moss was out except for one week were he just barely eekeed into the top 10.  Different story if you are in a TD only league however.

958031[/snapback]

Still, standard perf league, that's 5, 10, 6, 20, and 11 pts. Won't kill you as a #2 - I don't think anyone is suggesting he's a top tier WR yet.

I took Steve Smith as a 2nd WR in my league behind C. Johnson, but I'm worried about his offense.  Would Nate Burleson have been a better choice?

957914[/snapback]

I am big on nate. He has the ability to fill moss' shoes (kinda). Though I do not think Smith is going to be a slacker either.

I too have both in my re-draft league.

I managed to snag L. Coles and Rod Smith just in case the dynamic duo start to falter.

I think they will put up respectable stats, personally I think that Steve Smith will have the better year. I totally agree with Chavez's assessment: too many weapons for C-Pep to throw to in Minny will diminish Burlesons stats somewhat.

Here's my take.

Although Nate will be the #1 WR in MN, I think CPepp will spread the ball around more so than he ever has. And, assuming MN running game holds up and their D is slightly better than the past I think that they are moving towards a more control game which translates into not enough passes to Nate in order to make him a #1 WR, but a solid #2 WR with upside.

CAR D is strong and their running game could be tops. But given the history of injuries with Foster and Davis they have a pretty good chance of becoming a very one dimensional offense in throwing the ball to their best WR who happens to be Steve Smith. Even if their running game is solid throughout the year they dont have any other very good proven WRs to spread the ball around so I think Steve Smith will get the bulk of the catches.

Advantage to Smith. He has a longer track record as #1 WR and not as much competition from other pass catchers on his team.

Edited by Pancake

burleson all the way, and its not even close imho.

he is one of the very few "safe" WRs. safe meaning here "will produce every week", and that group is small: harrison, chad J, moss, owens...., finito, oh well and burleson.

reason is talent on the other positions, so not possible to key on him fully, plus he is "unproven" to defensive coordinators so the wont have him as SUCH a threat as moss on their list. and later, when they will have him on this list, they will be in flow.

travis taylor and troy williamson may be better "rivalling" talent on the vikings, more as SS has in Car, but on the same not that means less doube/triple team, which would be a REAL problem for him to overcome early