[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Legend of Willie Parker

conehead116

omg, let my life never be in the hands of old stubborn men who try to force their will on me. imho that was a crime they did at UNC to him, if the story is true though.

and powell all being nice in the interview and stuff...., sounds like making up, not?

and powell all being nice in the interview and stuff...., sounds like making up, not?

960881[/snapback]

Kinda sounds like he thinks he made a mistake. Good read .. I hope he gets his shot but with Duce and the Bus if he doesn't produce when he gets his shot might be a while (at least, until next year when the Bus parks it in the garage).

Kinda sounds like he thinks he made a mistake.  Good read .. I hope he gets his shot but with Duce and the Bus if he doesn't produce when he gets his shot might be a while (at least, until next year when the Bus parks it in the garage).

961327[/snapback]

On the other hand, if he does light it up, the Steelers have a history of letting the player that is hot stay in the line-up even when the original starter returns. Their philosophy is that the starters job is always an open competition. Rothlesberger is a perfect example.

Roethlisberger is a perfect example, but if he doesn't pick it up, Maddox will once again be the starter in Pittsbugh

961353[/snapback]

:D

O.k. people, this is getting old. This is the PRE-SEASON !!!! If Ben falters in the regular season, bring on the comments all day long. However, Ben is in his 2nd year, and I don't see the Steelers turning to Maddox unless Ben is injured. Thus far Ben was almost perfect in his only regular season, had two poor games in the playoffs, and people act like because of 3 1/2 Quarters he has played in the pre-season poorly should have us Steeler fans jumping off a bridge. Everyone needs to relax. Ben will be just fine.

O.k. people, this is getting old.  This is the PRE-SEASON !!!!  If Ben falters in the regular season, bring on the comments all day long.  However, Ben is in his 2nd year, and I don't see the Steelers turning to Maddox unless Ben is injured.  Thus far Ben was almost perfect in his only regular season, had two poor games in the playoffs, and people act like because of 3 1/2 Quarters he has played in the pre-season poorly should have us Steeler fans jumping off a bridge.  Everyone needs to relax.  Ben will be just fine.

961437[/snapback]

Nah, the team was almost perfect, Ben was kinda, almost, sorta, average. Please get your facts straight. :D

O.k. people, this is getting old.  This is the PRE-SEASON !!!!  If Ben falters in the regular season, bring on the comments all day long.  However, Ben is in his 2nd year, and I don't see the Steelers turning to Maddox unless Ben is injured.  Thus far Ben was almost perfect in his only regular season, had two poor games in the playoffs, and people act like because of 3 1/2 Quarters he has played in the pre-season poorly should have us Steeler fans jumping off a bridge.  Everyone needs to relax.  Ben will be just fine.

961437[/snapback]

Man, are your buttons easy to push. I agree with Kid Cid, your team was great, your quarterback average. Much like Dilfer with the Ravens.

Man, are your buttons easy to push. I agree with Kid Cid, your team was great, your quarterback average. Much like Dilfer with the Ravens.

961563[/snapback]

Average as in the best QB Rating, Completion %, and Winning % of any rookie QB EVER !!! Yes, very average. :D

My buttons weren't pushed. I wasn't angry, I think people sometimes tend to get worked up over pre-season results, that is all I was referring to.

Edited by Menudo

I'm at least a little concerned that the first time O hasn't scored a preseason TD... aren't you?

961481[/snapback]

Of course, I'm concerned that the offense hasn't looked sharp in the pre-season, and I wish they were looking better. However, a lot of people, even some Steeler fans are ready to jump ship based on pre-season games. I take pre-season games for what they are, they are organized practices with another team. So, yes, I am concerned a little bit, but I do think everything will straighten out.

Pre-Season or no, Ben hasn't looked all that great. With the PIT running game questionable going into the season (which was their bread and butter in '04), they're gonna have to rely on Ben alot more than last season and I'm just not sure if he's a better option than Maddox.

Spout all the stats you want about Roethlisberger, the Steelers did a great job in hiding their weaknesses at QB last year, and his primary target is gone. Call it exaggertion if you want, that's the impression I have of situation.

Pre-Season or no, Ben hasn't looked all that great. With the PIT running game questionable going into the season (which was their bread and butter in '04), they're gonna have to rely on Ben alot more than last season

Proabably true.

and I'm just not sure if he's a better option than Maddox.

Ben would have to really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really...

I mean really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really suck to be supplanted by Maddox.

Spout all the stats you want about Roethlisberger, the Steelers did a great job in hiding their weaknesses at QB last year,

I don't think Ben was a weakness during the regular season... sure the Steelers didn't rely on him to win games, but he did play well (until the playoffs).

and his primary target is gone.

961644[/snapback]

Ward is still there :D Plax wasn't his primary target no matter how you look at the stats.

Average as in the best QB Rating, Completion %, and Winning % of any rookie QB EVER !!!  Yes, very average.    :D

My buttons weren't pushed.  I wasn't angry, I think people sometimes tend to get worked up over  pre-season results, that is all I was referring to.

961626[/snapback]

He only threw 295 attempts, less than any other starting QB with the same number of starts. This is comparable to change of pace RB's who have high YPC compared to the backs that get 20+ carries a game. The more attempt/carries a player has the harder it is to have a high average. Winning percentage can not be attributed to any one player alone so this should not even enter into the discussion. So yes, very average.

I think that Rothlisberger (sp?) will be a very good QB over time. He has excellent composure in the pocket, but don't let your homerism blind you to the fact that his performance last year was bolstered by an incredible team effort and some good breaks.

None of this has anything to do with this pre-season. I completely agree that you should take everything that happens before the opener with a grain of salt.

Pre-Season or no, Ben hasn't looked all that great. With the PIT running game questionable going into the season (which was their bread and butter in '04), they're gonna have to rely on Ben alot more than last season and I'm just not sure if he's a better option than Maddox.

Spout all the stats you want about Roethlisberger, the Steelers did a great job in hiding their weaknesses at QB last year, and his primary target is gone. Call it exaggertion if you want, that's the impression I have of situation.

961644[/snapback]

I'm fine with people giving their opinion. That is what makes this message board great. I have watched every snap that Ben Roethlisberger has taken with the Steelers, pre-season, post-season, playoffs. This pre-season, I won't argue, he has not looked good. Am I worried ? A little bit. However, because the Steelers ran the ball well, and didn't have Ben pass a lot in games, people who didn't watch the Steelers games, didn't see how good Ben was last year. I truly believe that you can take 4-5 wins off of their total if Maddox was the QB last year. Ben has a natural ability to avoid a rush and find a spot in the pocket to throw. He is very good at improvising and making things happen, sometimes out of nothing. I certainly don't see him as a weakness considering the season he had last year. As for his primary target, he certainly is not gone, he wears # 86, and he is still with the Steelers. It just amazes me that after the season that Roethlisberger had last year, people are claiming that the Steelers have a weakness in QB. Maybe he will prove that this year, but I think a statement like that is assanine based on 3 1/2 Quarters of pre-seasn play. Just my $.02

961437[/snapback]

And Shaun Alexander is going to lose his starting job in Seattle because he is only averaging 3.2 YPC in the preseason, which is the lowest on the team besides FB and QBs. :D Ben will be fine. He just has to be decent and Pitt will win. He doesn't have to do anything but being efficient. No 300 yard games, No 3+ td games. His job is EASY!

Maddox has had a great camp this year....but he knows he's there to be the backup. I believe he'll get his shot next year to start with another team. In the meantime, he's sticking in Pitt.

Jerome, on the other hand, has made it pretty clear. Yes....he's easy going. Yes...he loves the team and the town. But he didn't take a paycut and stay an extra year to be the workhorse, featured RB. He's the short yardage-TD guy....period. He's back because he believes they can make a postseason out of it.

But if Staley can't go in a game....Parker WILL be the "starter". Bettis knows his body can't take 35 carries a game for 16 games. No way...no how. And he's pretty much made it clear he'd like someone else to step up and take that role.

Edit: That's a cute article, BTW. Go Willie!

Edited by SteelBunz

excuse me....

anyone took some looks on the players papers lately?

out of bettis, staley and maddox, staley is i think the youngest.

Bus is 33, maddox 34, staley 30.

dont you think it makes NO, i mean NO sense to replace Ben with Maddox if he doesnt screws up about everything.

If the Ravens had a QB like Ben they would have owned the league for years, now the window might be slowly closing with the core team not getting younger, and thats just 1 quarterbackingly handicaped team.

not even manning (either one) would make much of a difference in that situation with that personnel, under that coaching staff philosophy.

and back to the main topic of willie parker:

same thing...., he maybe would not have gotten a chance if not for this situation, but if he produces now approx Staley-like numbers, wouldnt it be shhhtooooopid to not test him out heavily with both veterans dinged up?

and if both these players pan out for the club, they can concentrate next draft on keeping O-line young, fresh and happy, plus not letting the defense decline in ability, just because the years set in on them.

IF Ben and Willie survive first half of the season, health-like, win/loss and stat-like, and survive means not being lynched by fan-mob, the steelers look into a VERY bright future.

I thought this was a Willie Parker link. Anyway, impressive article, and yes he has looked like "Fast Willie" this preseason. He is slated to start Week 1, if has an impressive start it will be hard to supplant him. He went undrafted in our draft last night, so I picked him this morning as a flier. We'll see what he can do.

yeah, I remember them talking about Michael Bennett's speed when he came into the NFL too; what's he done???

963343[/snapback]

Michael Bennett is a differnet player than Willie Parker. One has nothing to do with the other.