[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carolina RBBC Update

Shotgun Messiahs

AP reports Carolina Panthers RB Stephen Davis (microfracture knee surgery) will make his preseason debut Thursday night against the Sttlers. After playing in just two games last season, then sitting out most of training camp while the Panthers took a cautious approach to his recovery, the typically reserved Davis admitted he can't wait to play again. Panthers HC John Fox has said he won't play his starters very long against the Steelers, possibly only keeping them on the field for one series. Davis could be the exception. "We are anticipating he'll play some,'' Fox said. "It will be a feel thing. I think it will be safe to say it will be at least one (carry) and under 20.'' The Panthers want to get an extended look at Davis -- without risking injury -- to get a feel for the depth they have at running back. RB DeShaun Foster is back after missing most of last season with a broken collarbone and rookie RB Eric Shelton can also figure into the mix. RB Nick Goings, a former sixth-stringer who was exceptional was forced into a starting role last season because of injury, reamins on the roster. RB Rod Smart is battling for a roster position after returning from a knee injury.

You know what's funny. It's so obvious who has S. Davis on their teams and who has D. Foster. Very little in the way of real analysis of the situation, just people rooting for their guy to be the man.

Except for me, I am totally unbiased in my oppinion that Foster will rush for 2500 yards and score 37 TDs :D

I drafted Foster early as my 4th RB (Edge, McGahee and Westbrook all keepers) and took S. Davis late since I knew he was coming back soon. I avoided Shelton as I was not impressed with him at the Redskins game a few weeks ago and I knew Davis would easily pass him on the depth chart once he was healthy.

I am just glad to have both of them to give me nice depth on my fantasy team. :D

I drafted Foster early as my 4th RB (Edge, McGahee and Westbrook all keepers) and took S. Davis late since I knew he was coming back soon.  I avoided Shelton as I was not impressed with him at the Redskins game a few weeks ago and I knew Davis would easily pass him on the depth chart once he was healthy.

I am just glad to have both of them to give me nice depth on my fantasy team.  :D

961261[/snapback]

The question remains though, who do you start or do you wait them out a few games and see what Fox is thinking. In one league I have both also and have no idea what to expect. :D

IMHO, Davis is a better fit for the style of football Fox wants to play, between the tackles, I know I going to run it, you know i'm going to run it, now try and stop me football. That Davis is recovering from surgery, over 30 and definately on the downside of the crest of his career makes Foster a necessity. Foster isn't any better from a durability standpoint than Davis, maybe even less so, he's just younger.

I can't help but think that if Davis is healthy (a rather significant if) it's going to be a 50/50 split, with Davis pounding the ball, Foster in for a change of pace, and an attempt to keep both backs healthy.

FWIW, I own neither of these players.

You know what's funny.  It's so obvious who has S. Davis on their teams and who has D. Foster.  Very little in the way of real analysis of the situation, just people rooting for their guy to be the man.

Except for me, I am totally unbiased in my oppinion that Foster will rush for 2500 yards and score 37 TDs :D

960926[/snapback]

well, i am biased, but i think i have been objective. except in the fact that i think davis is forked. i have pointed out, a few times now, how foster hasn't proved anything to anybody yet. he is an unknown commodity at this point. great back in college who hasn't been able to stay on the field long enough to know what he has. they drafted shelton to be the big bruising back davis was/is? first tell tale sign that the organization probably thinks davis is forked too. classsy organization that the panthers are, they are giving davis every opportunity to come back from the worst injury there is for a football player. i pulled up all those blurbs i had, so i think that was real analysis....imo. i didn't mean for that other post to be like that, but hell if i'm not going to defend myself when someone says i'm propping guys because they are people i drafted. i've been here for a few yrs and i would like to think that i have learned a few things about fantasy football in that time. i just don't haphazardly make comments that are just opinion. i spend alot of time surfing and ingesting info. i think davis is forked though and will find out soon enough i guess.

well, i am biased, but i think i have been objective.  except in the fact that i think davis is forked.  i have pointed out, a few times now, how foster hasn't proved anything to anybody yet.  he is an unknown commodity at this point.  great back in college who hasn't been able to stay on the field long enough to know what he has.  they drafted shelton to be the big bruising back davis was/is?  first tell tale sign that the organization probably thinks davis is forked too.  classsy organization that the panthers are, they are giving davis every opportunity to come back from the worst injury there is  for a football player.  i pulled up all those blurbs i had, so i think that was real analysis....imo.  i didn't mean for that other post to be like that, but hell if i'm not going to defend myself when someone says i'm propping guys because they are people i drafted.  i've been here for a few yrs and i would like to think that i have learned a few things about fantasy football in that time.  i just don't haphazardly make comments that are just opinion.  i spend alot of time surfing and ingesting info.  i think davis is forked though and will find out soon enough i guess.

961330[/snapback]

I don't disagree with anything you have written crisp, but wouldn't the drafting of Foster demonstrate that the panthers thought Davis was finished moreso than shelton?

well, i am biased, but i think i have been objective.  except in the fact that i think davis is forked.  i have pointed out, a few times now, how foster hasn't proved anything to anybody yet.  he is an unknown commodity at this point.  great back in college who hasn't been able to stay on the field long enough to know what he has.  they drafted shelton to be the big bruising back davis was/is?  first tell tale sign that the organization probably thinks davis is forked too.  classsy organization that the panthers are, they are giving davis every opportunity to come back from the worst injury there is  for a football player.  i pulled up all those blurbs i had, so i think that was real analysis....imo.  i didn't mean for that other post to be like that, but hell if i'm not going to defend myself when someone says i'm propping guys because they are people i drafted.  i've been here for a few yrs and i would like to think that i have learned a few things about fantasy football in that time.  i just don't haphazardly make comments that are just opinion.  i spend alot of time surfing and ingesting info.  i think davis is forked though and will find out soon enough i guess.

961330[/snapback]

I think the Panthers drafted Shelton because they see him in the mold of Davis, but at the time of the draft (late April) Davis' status was unknown so they drafted for additional depth. I don't think Hurney and Fox knew what to expect from Davis, but from what I hear on the radio and see in the papers that cover the team, Davis is itching to get on the field and has been looking good at practice. Maybe he doesn't last the year, but it looks like he will be able to help the team early given that Shelton has been somewhat of a dissappointment til this point and his buried on the depth chart for now.

I don't disagree with anything you have written crisp, but wouldn't the drafting of Foster demonstrate that the panthers thought Davis was finished moreso than shelton?

961338[/snapback]

it could be taken that way, but as psu pointed out, shelton is more of the davis mold. rovers disagreed with me on this comment, but i could swear i read it somewhere, how the only people that thought davis would come back were his agent and himself. the carolina organization was doing "whats right" and giving him a chance to come back. i couldn't find the article however, so it must be very old....perhaps during the nfl draft. things have obviously changed since then however.