[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CARR will hurt D.D.?

cliaz

Even though D.D. is like their whole offense, I think that D.D. is going to have his numbers hurt big time, now that it's proven that Carr blows camel grapes, every D is going to stack the line.

I'm glad I passed on Andre Johnson, I had him last year and he was just awful. I will never buy into the hype that he is a #1, not unless they get another QB down there.

Do you all think D.D. will suffer because of this?

Edited by cliaz

Even though D.D. is like their whole offense, I think that D.D. is going to have his numbers hurt big time, now that it's proven that Carr blows camel grapes, every D is going to stack the line.

I'm glad I passed on Andre Johnson, I had him last year and he was just awful.  I will never buy into the hype that he is a #1, not unless they get another QB down there.

Do you all think D.D. will suffer because of this?

962977[/snapback]

I had AJ last year and refused to draft him this year. Carr was pathetic last night and even though it was the end of preseason, I don't see him getting much better.

Looks like the QB draft class of '01 (Harrington, Carr, Ramsey) are not going to challenge the '83 draft. :D

Edited by TripleW64

That OL hass been putrid the last couple of years. Maybe they'll be better this year, maybe not, but the Texans haven't done much to addres it. They're supposedly going to have a more run-oriented offense this year.

I disagree that the blame falls on Carr. This is a pretty good piece from ESPN Insider to back me up:

• David Carr

If you look at the standard statistical sheet from the 2004 season for Carr, you wouldn't come away that impressed. Carr did throw for more than 3,500 yards and had a completion percentage over 60 percent, but he only threw 16 TDs and had 14 interceptions. His passer rating was 83.5, which placed him 16th in the league.

When you look at some of Carr's performance metrics measurements, however, you come away with a much different picture. For example, let's take the bad-decision metric. When a QB makes a bad decision on a play, I measure that under the bad-decision metric. If a QB throws a pass into coverage, throws the ball while being sacked, stares at a receiver or any other mistake along those lines, I mark that as a bad decision.

I also put a weight on each of these bad decisions, ranging from a one-point bad decision to a five-point bad decision. A one-point bad decision might be when a QB stares at a receiver but throws an incomplete pass. A five-point bad decision might be where a QB is being sacked at the end of a game his team has basically won, but instead of taking the sack, he ends up throwing the pass and having it intercepted, thus causing his team to lose. Bad decisions are probably the most important metric for a QB, as any QB who consistently makes bad decisions will be benched.

Of the 451 passing plays I charted for Carr last season -- I missed some when hurricanes knocked my satellite out -- he made only 10 bad decisions. Of those, nine were of the one-point variety. To put that in perspective, only 2.2 percent of the Carr pass plays I charted resulted in a bad decision -- good for fifth in the league in that category.

It gets even better for him when you look at what I call weighted bad decisions. Weighted bad decisions are the numbers you get when you add the point values of the bad decisions and express them as a percentage. For example, Carr made nine one-point bad decisions and one three-point bad decision. If you add those point values up, you get 12 weighted bad decision points. If you express those 12 points as a percentage, you get 2.7 percent. That percentage ranked Carr third in the NFL, behind only Byron Leftwich and Peyton Manning in that category.

Carr's metrics make it clear he has All-Pro potential. If Carr's offensive line can stay healthy this year and protect him, and if they can simply find one other decent receiver to offset some of the pressure on Andre Johnson, his standard statistical measurements should start to catch up with his performance metrics.

I had AJ last year and refused to draft him this year.  Carr was pathetic last night  and even though it was the end of preseason, I don't see him getting much better.

Looks like the QB draft class of '01 (Harrington, Carr, Ramsey) are not going to challenge the '83 draft.  :D

963076[/snapback]

The reality of AJ is that he isnt all he is hyped up to be. Hes decent, but hes spotty at best. I had him last year, and I believe the 1st few games he seemed unstoppable. After that, he had maybe 1 or 2 big games, and the rest was garbage. Ill never draft him until he goes elsewhere, or they get a reworked offense.

I drafted Domanick Davis in the first round of my main league, and I am getting a little concerned about Carr's performance. Still, it's the preseason and getting DD at what was essentially the 9th spot in our first round seemed like a good value to me.

I do hope that Carr can at least function at the level he did last year though.

The reality of AJ is that he isnt all he is hyped up to be. Hes decent, but hes spotty at best. I had him last year, and I believe the 1st few games he seemed unstoppable. After that, he had maybe 1 or 2 big games, and the rest was garbage. Ill never draft him until he goes elsewhere, or they get a reworked offense.

963254[/snapback]

I totally disagree about AJ. I think he is all he is hyped to be, maybe more. But no one can really tell for sure do to the poor play of Carr, which is a direct result of the poor play of the O-line. I have said it before and I will say it again, the Texans will not be a threat to anyone until they do something to dramatically improve their line.

I totally disagree about AJ.  I think he is all he is hyped to be, maybe more.  But no one can really tell for sure do to the poor play of Carr, which is a direct result of the poor play of the O-line.  I have said it before and I will say it again, the Texans will not be a threat to anyone until they do something to dramatically improve their line.

963449[/snapback]

Yeah I kinda got off topic there. He could be a stud, but the poor performance of Carr wont allow AJ to shine. Until AJ has a different QB, Im staying away.

I totally disagree about AJ.  I think he is all he is hyped to be, maybe more.  But no one can really tell for sure do to the poor play of Carr, which is a direct result of the poor play of the O-line.  I have said it before and I will say it again, the Texans will not be a threat to anyone until they do something to dramatically improve their line.

963449[/snapback]

With equally problematic issues on Defense, the Texans can only afford to put out some many fires at once. However, you'd think protecting their franchsie QB and scoring some points would have been the tippy-top priority.

For example, let's take the bad-decision metric.

(snip)

963192[/snapback]

How does Carr compare to say Favre? Brett is well known for the occasional gaffe and the 6-int game...

Or is it the sack factor?: from http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8730355

QB ---------- Times sacked 2002-2004

Carr ---------- 140 (but mostly the record 76 times in 2002)

Bledsoe ------ 140

Culpepper ---- 130

Brooks -------- 111

This would support your "1-point bad decision" grades for Carr.

With equally problematic issues on Defense, the Texans can only afford to put out some many fires at once.  However, you'd think protecting their franchsie QB and scoring some points would have been the tippy-top priority.

963510[/snapback]

Yes, very true. But at least they can say they did make some changes to improve the defense during the offseason (I can only hope they were the right ones), but they didnt really do anything spectacular with the line.

How does Carr compare to say Favre?  Brett is well known for the occasional gaffe and the 6-int game... 

Or is it the sack factor?: from http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8730355

QB  ----------  Times sacked 2002-2004

Carr ----------  140  (but mostly the record 76 times in 2002)

Bledsoe ------  140

Culpepper ----  130

Brooks --------  111

This would support your "1-point bad decision" grades for Carr.

963520[/snapback]

I think that has more to do with the OL than Carr...

not all of them...but most of them..

Yes, very true.  But at least they can say they did make some changes to improve the defense during the offseason (I can only hope they were the right ones), but they didnt really do anything spectacular with the line.

963528[/snapback]

I hope for the love of all that is pure and true that those defensive "improvements" weren't on display last night. Because the Texans' DEF made Chris Simms look like Joe Montana.

:D:D:D

That OL hass been putrid the last couple of years.  Maybe they'll be better this year, maybe not, but the Texans haven't done much to addres it.  They're supposedly going to have a more run-oriented offense this year.

I disagree that the blame falls on Carr.  This is a pretty good piece from ESPN Insider to back me up:

•  David Carr

If you look at the standard statistical sheet from the 2004 season for Carr, you wouldn't come away that impressed. Carr did throw for more than 3,500 yards and had a completion percentage over 60 percent, but he only threw 16 TDs and had 14 interceptions. His passer rating was 83.5, which placed him 16th in the league.

When you look at some of Carr's performance metrics measurements, however, you come away with a much different picture. For example, let's take the bad-decision metric. When a QB makes a bad decision on a play, I measure that under the bad-decision metric. If a QB throws a pass into coverage, throws the ball while being sacked, stares at a receiver or any other mistake along those lines, I mark that as a bad decision.

I also put a weight on each of these bad decisions, ranging from a one-point bad decision to a five-point bad decision. A one-point bad decision might be when a QB stares at a receiver but throws an incomplete pass. A five-point bad decision might be where a QB is being sacked at the end of a game his team has basically won, but instead of taking the sack, he ends up throwing the pass and having it intercepted, thus causing his team to lose. Bad decisions are probably the most important metric for a QB, as any QB who consistently makes bad decisions will be benched.

Of the 451 passing plays I charted for Carr last season -- I missed some when hurricanes knocked my satellite out -- he made only 10 bad decisions. Of those, nine were of the one-point variety. To put that in perspective, only 2.2 percent of the Carr pass plays I charted resulted in a bad decision -- good for fifth in the league in that category.

It gets even better for him when you look at what I call weighted bad decisions. Weighted bad decisions are the numbers you get when you add the point values of the bad decisions and express them as a percentage. For example, Carr made nine one-point bad decisions and one three-point bad decision. If you add those point values up, you get 12 weighted bad decision points. If you express those 12 points as a percentage, you get 2.7 percent. That percentage ranked Carr third in the NFL, behind only Byron Leftwich and Peyton Manning in that category.

Carr's metrics make it clear he has All-Pro potential. If Carr's offensive line can stay healthy this year and protect him, and if they can simply find one other decent receiver to offset some of the pressure on Andre Johnson, his standard statistical measurements should start to catch up with his performance metrics.

963192[/snapback]

:D