[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huge Week for the Big Ten

GWPFFL BrianW

Big Ten has gotten a lot of hype during the offseason. I don't know how much if it is deserved (and im a Big Ten fan), but after an undefeated Week 1, mostly vs weak opponents, Week 2 is full of quality opponents.

We all know about Ohio State vs Texas and Michigan vs Notre Dame, but the other Big Ten teams have some testers too.

Texas at Ohio State

Notre Dame at Michigan

Cincinnati at Penn State

Colorado State at Minnesota

Iowa at Iowa State

Hawaii at Michigan State (Remember last years Spartans)

Northern Illinois at Northwestern

The first two are obvious. Cincy is always a tough opponent, and we all know they gave Ohio State fits in 02, plus Penn State looked awfully shaky vs South Florida. Minnesota also looked shaky vs Tulsa, despite Maroney looking good. Cupito is terrible, and they better fix there qb situation fast, because Colorado State is decent. Iowa State always has there game vs Iowa circled. My beloved Hawks are in for a street fight in Ames. But there is only one way to go out in that game, and that is to blow them out. Anything less is a disappointment on the road or not. Northern Illinois got handled by Michigan, but we'll see if Northwestern can do the same, who has a pretty good offense.

Any thoughts. I'd love to here from other Big Ten fans, and see what they think about this weekend. I think its the biggest weekend of the year besides all of the conference games.

Iowa State has been the Hawks' nemesis in recent years and it'll be important for Ferentz's boys to come out with a convincing win. I have no idea about the 'Clones this year except that they're a middle-of-the-road B-12 North team, but given the Hawks' evolution the past couple of years, this is a game they're expected to win. You're counted among the big boys now. Prove it.

Michigan-ND will be an absolute dog-fight as it usually is. Weiss has the Irish believing, but I think they'll be brought down to earth a bit this week after a narrow, last-minute loss to the Wolvies.

Cinci under Mark Dantonio could be a dangerous opponent for Penn State. Dantonio was the Bucks' D-coordinator through our NC run, and he's made some significant improvements to that program with his defensive knowledge and ability to recruit in Ohio. Penn State looked shaky against USF, but I think they'll just do enough at home to win. Something like 21-16.

State should beat the Rainbows, but I expect one out of NW and 'Sota to lose.

As for the main event for this weekend, ie, Texas-Ohio State, there's some unbelievable hype building around this game. Texas this year has arguably a better talent-level than Miami '02, with more physicality on both lines, a better multi-threat QB(Young vs Dorsey) and a stable of young but talented RBs/WRs. That's a scary thought. If they do their homework, they'll realize that the 'Wisconsin formula' has been known to beat these Buckeyes. That is, pound the ball for 4 quarters even if you don't have much success for the first 2.5. Our interior D-line is still a bit suspect and if I was the opposing OC, I'd attack them for most of the night. That, plus minimizing turnovers along with solid special teams should be the winning ingredients, as they usually are in any big game.

Fortunately for the Bucks,

-The Horns' ST continues to be abhorrent.

-The Bucks' ST continues to be outstanding.

-The Bucks' coaching staff is a clear and distinct edge over Lack Crown and staff.

-The night game and home-field advantage gives us just that extra edge.

Neither Young nor Ginn will go crazy this game as the Horns will focus and scheme around Ginn while the Bucks will play disciplined and smart defense while tackling well. It'll be a grind it out, chew-your-fingernails, 4 quarter drama, with one or 2 big plays in the form of turnovers/STs deciding the game.

Buckeyes 17 Horns 13

Edited by Glabra

I agree the SEC is equally if not a bit tougher, time will tell.  The ACC is not as strong as either .

968617[/snapback]

ACC has 5 teams in the Top 25 and that doesn't include Clemson and GA Tech that both beat Top 20 schools this weekend.

Edit: And NC State is right on the bubble for Top 25.

Edited by Primetime9287

yeah but the ACC is quickly becoming big 12 east, that is, lots of bark, but no bite, as evident last year. It looks great on paper. I mean you have a conference with Miami, Florida State, AND Virginia Tech, so how could it not be good? But the reality is this, this isn't the early 90's anymore, and the talent is spread out so well, that even MAC teams get a taste of it, and thus you get Miami and Florida State not being as threatening as they once were. Still very good programs, just not the menacing force that steamrolled opponents throughout the 90's. We'll see if the ACC can live up to expectations. I'm still waiting for the Big 12 to live up to the hype they got back in 1996 during it's beginning.