[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Football in New Orleans is Over For Good

Scooby

Football in New Orleans is over. Both the Govenor of Louisiana and the Mayor of New Orleans were and are opposed to partly fund a new arena for the Saints orginization to play future games in. The Saints were entertaining the idea of moving anyway, and Katrina will make their decision for them. So who pays for the next franchise?

The Saints currently get $10 million per year from the state of Louisiana to operate out of New Orleans. Benson has been bitching and screaming for years to have a new stadium built. No stadium was ever built, and the previous governor of Louisina agreed to pay the Saints the ten mil so that Benson would receive the equivalent revenue of a mid tier pro football city with a newer stadium.

The only way this could work is to move the Saints to Los Angeles and guarantee an expansion team/stadium to New Orleans once the city is rebuilt a'la Cleveland.

The problem with that scenario is MONEY. Up until Katrina, New Orleans only had 1 FORTUNE 100 business.

This could be a PR nightmare or dream for the NFL. I say keep the Saints in the South. Have them play in Shreveport, Baton Rouge, hell, even Jackson. Mississippi.

Hurrican Katrina is the excuse the NFL has been looking for to get a team in Los Angeles.

968352[/snapback]

But that's not going to happen, unless the NFL is willing to take on 100% of the bill for stadium, parking, etc. DO you see THAT happening?

ALso, that's a short sighted and cliched view of things: the NFL historically has been a part of the country's attempt at normalizing things after a catastrophe: JFK's assassination and 9-11 are the two best examples. They'll stay close, maybe even with govt help - that help won't be for them to move to LA.

Edited by Pope Flick

But that's not going to happen, unless the NFL is willing to take on 100% of the bill for stadium, parking, etc. DO you see THAT happening?

968395[/snapback]

They did it in Cleveland. Al Lerner didn't "buy" the franchise until the stadium was already being built. Why not in the 2nd largest media market?

They did it in Cleveland. Al Lerner didn't "buy" the franchise until the stadium was already being built. Why not in the 2nd largest media market?

968398[/snapback]

Ask the NFL. Every proposal for LA has always included public funding of some type. And that fact is what scuttles it for locals.

The Cleveland thing was also a bit of a 'we're sorry' in the wake of the Browns bailing.

968398[/snapback]

Becuase California's state and local government are so far in the red that they can't/won't put up the money.

The Saints currently get $10 million per year from the state of Louisiana to operate out of New Orleans.

968384[/snapback]

What happens when the city of New Orleans defaults and cannot pay this money, which I believe is closer to $15 million per year? Plus, the payments escalate each year. There is NO WAY the city can justify that spending now. The lease will be broken. The Saints will be free to leave. This is going to be an ugly situation. No one wants to say it right now, because it is an incredibly insensitive thing to do. But the city cannot support the Saints, and probably can't for several more years. And my guess is that the NFL finds a way to put the team in Los Angeles.

Edited by CaptainHook

If they plan on moving the team, there is going to have to be a big I'm sorry to the gulf coast in place.

968419[/snapback]

Heck, the NFL should apologize for inflicting about 30 years of bad/10 years of mediocre football on the poor people of NO and only giving them 3 or 4 years worth really cheering about.

What happens when the city of New Orleans defaults and cannot pay this money, which I believe is closer to $15 million per year?  Plus, the payments escalate each year.  There is NO WAY the city can justify that spending now.  The lease will be broken.  The Saints will be free to leave.  This is going to be an ugly situation.  And my guess is that the NFL finds a way to put a team in Los Angeles.

968633[/snapback]

I think it will be SA simply because that would be a facitlity that is ready right now. It is close enough to NO for die-hards to see their beloved Saints. I think this is the cruelest part of the business world--bottom line drives the decisions. Even though the people in NO are desperate for normalcy, the NFL is going to look at the $$$ and that will be the difference maker. I hate it because I can't imagine losing my home, my landmarks, my memories...and then, later, my team, which is part of the fabric that makes a city what it is. It's a symbol. Even that may disappear for the Gulf Coast. It's not right.

Edited by Ruffian

I think it will be SA simply because that would be a facitlity that is ready right now. It is close enough to NO for die-hards to see their beloved Saints. I think this is the cruelest part of the business world--bottom line drives the decisions. Even though the people in NO are desperate for normalcy, the NFL is going to look at the $$$ and that will be the difference maker. I hate it because I can't imagine losing my home, my landmarks, my memories...and then, later, my team, which is part of the fabric that makes a city what it is. It's a symbol. Even that may disappear for the Gulf Coast. It's not right.

968668[/snapback]

Yes, THIS year, the Saints may be in San Antonio. But long term, I think it'll be LA, once the lease is broken.

The only way this could work is to move the Saints to Los Angeles and guarantee an expansion team/stadium to New Orleans once the city is rebuilt a'la Cleveland.

968384[/snapback]

Please, for God's sake no more expansion!

We already have people like Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller holding starting QB jobs in the NFL. If that isn't watered down enough, I don't know what is.

Please, for God's sake no more expansion!

We already have people like Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller holding starting QB jobs in the NFL.  If that isn't watered down enough, I don't know what is.

968687[/snapback]

:D

That being said, I can't see the NFL expanding beyond 32 teams without a big change to the structure. 32 teams makes the schedule work out nice. It also makes the divisions nice and uniform.

IF the Saints can survive in NO, I would guess that San Antonio would make sense. I think a move to LA would be a PR nightmare.

The Nefarious TOm Benson

POSTED 12:46 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 1:17 p.m. EDT, September 5, 2005

A week after Hurricane Katrina ravaged New Orleans and numerous other Gulf Coast communities, we've heard from our old friend John Marie, host of the Sports Court on 990-AM in the Crescent City.  Over the past year or so, we've done several radio spots with John Marie, who isn't afraid to call it like he sees it when it comes to the Saints and their history of mismanagement and general ineptitude.

WDSU, you might recall, reported on Sunday that the Saints do not intend to give refunds to season ticket holders.  The report was brief and vague, without identifying the source or disclosing any details.

Mackel says that he has spoken directly with Saints executive Arnold Fielkow, who has outlined in detail owner Tom Benson's plan for profiting from the demise of New Orleans.

It was Fielkow, by the way, who recently told Louisiana state senator Mike Michot that Benson wants to move permanently to San Antonio.  The media generally ignored the story.

Per Mackel through John Marie, Fielkow (who based on the following likely will soon be a former employee of the organization) says that Benson is hoping to anger the citizens and the Louisiana Legislature by refusing to issue refunds to season-ticket holders.

Writes Mackel:  "[Fielkow] said Tom Benson WANTS to upset season ticket holders and the Louisiana Legislature!  He wants to play this season in San Antonio, forcing the state to tell him that since he turned his back on the community in a time of need they won't make any more payments to him. 

"If the state fails to make their payment next summer Louisiana is in breech [sic] of contract and Benson can move the team without making a penalty payment.  He would then shop the team to the highest bidding city.  San Antonio, L.A., even New Orleans with a better deal in place.  He's simply going to use this tragedy get a better deal and perhaps [a] new stadium from some city."

The decision not to pay refunds, per Mackel, will be announced within the next 24-to-48 hours.  Apparently, fine-print language in the tickets permits the team to deny refunds based on natural disasters. 

Fielkow told Mackel that Benson simply does not care if this plan makes him the most hated man in the history of the city.

Mackel and John Marie both say that Fielkow is a good man, and that he is "passionate" and "upset" regarding Benson's intentions.  Per Mackel, Fielkow has urged Benson to play this year's home games in Baton Rouge, so that the season-ticket holders may attend.  Fielkow also told Mackel that insurance money for the Superdome along with possible federal finances could enable New Orleans to build a new or refurbished stadium that would also serve as a better place of evacuation when the next Category 5 storm prepares to make landfall.

Mackel says that he also has spoken with Saints running back Deuce McAllister, who said that "a bad decision" was about to be made by the organization.  McAllister said he hopes the team can play in Baton Rouge and remain in New Orleans.  Asked whether the Saints have played their last game in New Orleans, McAllister told Mackel:  "I just don't know, nothing would surprise me."

These folks, starting with Fielkow, are getting the word out because, apparently, there's still time to change Benson's mind.  John Marie and Fletcher Mackel are hoping that as many journalists, politicians, and fans as possible learn of Benson's plan and sound off in a loud, clear voice that his efforts to profit at the city's most dire time of crisis will not succeed.

We plan to do everything we can to spread the word on this.  As to anyone out there who's in a position of influence of any kind, we hope that you do the same.

Becuase California's state and local government are so far in the red that they can't/won't put up the money.

968403[/snapback]

The problem is not the solvency of the local government in LA, the problem is that the voters do not believe that they should pay so much public money to benefit a private organization.

I think that Orange County/Anaheim would be willing to put up some money, but I am not sure that the package is enough. Also, the team would not be in LA proper, though OC can support a team on its own.

The NFL did not want the Browns and Texans in the league, but they had next to zero leverage to stop the Browns move to Baltimore and had to add team 32 to even out team 31. Now that they have 8 4 team divisions, I highly doubt they expand any time soon.

If the 'aints move, New Orleans will have a very, very tough time getting a team.

Let me tell ya'll all one thing, being from the New Orleans area it will a shame for the Saints to move. No other franchise in NFL has experienced more disapointment than Saints fans. All those losing seasons and this terrible accident.

I had to get away from all the bad news for a while and I look at the board and its a shame. I was hoping to see people saying that the NFL should help the state of LA. & MS. and do what they can to assist, possible giving money to help build a new place to play. But instead people are making fun of this terrible situation (what losers). All you people see are the bad people here on the news but the Saints are the one thing this state has to bring us all together as one. Whites, Blacks, rich, poor, it dosen't matter who you are the Saints brings this state and city together as one. If the Saints move it will be one sad day, and I hope that the NFL will step up and help us.

God Bless New Orleans and all its people. We will be Back

Let me tell ya'll all one thing, being from the New Orleans area it will a shame for the Saints to move.  No other franchise in NFL has experienced more disapointment than Saints fans.  All those losing seasons and this terrible accident.

I had to get away from all the bad news for a while and I look at the board and its a shame.  I was hoping to see people saying that the NFL should help the state of LA. & MS. and do what they can to assist, possible giving money to help build a new place to play.  But instead people are making fun of this terrible situation (what losers).  All you people see are the bad people here on the news but the Saints are the one thing this state has to bring us all together as one.  Whites, Blacks, rich, poor, it dosen't matter who you are the Saints brings this state and city together as one.  If the Saints move it will be one sad day, and I hope that the NFL will step up and help us.

God Bless New Orleans and all its people.  We will be Back

969102[/snapback]

:D