[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calling out Steelers Homers!

spain

What are the odds that Willie Parker takes this job away from Staley and Bettis? Lets say he has a very nice outing against an admittedly porous Titans defense on Sunday. Does he then keep the job or will Staley/Bettis be re-inserted into the lineup upon their respective returns from injury? any help would be appreciated. thanks

I am not a Pitt homer but....

Like you said, let's assume Parker has a solid day vs TEN.

Duce is likely out until week 5, so Bettis is more of the worry at the moment. But he has made it pretty clear he doesn't want a full load, so I could see Parker filling Staley's shoes [but better], while Bettis returns to punching the goalline.

If Parker struggles, and/or the team struggles, we'll probably see the Staley/Bettis tandum back in actions.

If Parker gets hot, I think there is a 90% of him retaining the majority of the touches. For me it's more a matter of how much Bettis would eat in to his TDs.

Staley (knee) dressed for practice on Monday and went through some early drills. He could play a bit in Week 1, but not enough to be considered a productive fantasy option, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

"I feel good," Staley said. "I just have to continue to see where I am day to day. I'm hoping (to play). I don't know what the outcome will be. As far as experience, we're kind of limited so I would love to get out there, but I can't go out there and hurt myself and hurt my team." Willie Parker remains the fantasy choice at running back against the Titans in Week 1.

I think Staley will be back before week 5. As for the situation as a whole other than a week where I KNOW 2 will be out I wouldn't want any part of it. Bettis will be the GL back starting week 2 I'd think. Staley will get touches also starting week 2 or 3 I bet. I just wouldn't trust it unless 2 were out for sure.

What are the odds that Willie Parker takes this job away from Staley and Bettis?  Lets say he has a very nice outing against an admittedly porous Titans defense on Sunday.  Does he then keep the job or will Staley/Bettis be re-inserted into the lineup upon their respective returns from injury?  any help would be appreciated. thanks

970762[/snapback]

I haven't heard anything concrete about this. The following is just my opinion.

I don't see Parker outright taking the job from Staley and Bettis no matter how good he does against the Titans. I think he will simply become the 3rd down/change of pace back upon the return of Staley and Bettis. He may get a few more touches througout the season but I don't think Cowher will make Parker the every down back when the others are healthy (atleast not this season).

edited to add ...

Spain, are you coming to pittsburgh for the game? I think i recall a thread several weeks ago stating that you got the ok to head up here for the game. I was just curious.

Edited by max

Dare I say this Spain? :D

I'm not sure an outing against your Titan defense is going to tell us much of anything.  :D  Except of course.....if he has a really bad day....or even just a mediocre one.

:D

970896[/snapback]

Staley ain't ready to carry the ball 20 times a game. That knee won't be ready until after the bye. I think Parker will be used sparingly after both Bettis and Staley are back to full health. Willie will take on the role that Verron Hayes had last year. Catching out of the backfield on 3rd down etc.

here is another angle that needs to be considered: there could be a replay of Big Ben. I think it is possible that if Parker has a good game, they will not rush Staley back. As we saw last year, they decided not to put Maddox back in the line-up when he returned because they were winning (and you never mess with a streak).

Now if he falters, that was his one shot until Staley goes on the IR list for good.

I still think that Bettis, when healthy, will get the goal line and short yardage carries. But I think that Parker has the speed to score from anywhere on the football field.

In all honesty, I am thinking of starting Parker at home against a below average TEN D, as opposed to Edge in BALT. :D I just have a memory of IND vs NE in the playoffs...

I think he could have a HUGE game on Sunday, and be the darling of the NFL on Monday. So if anybody else wants a sip of Kool Aid, let me know.

I really don't think that anything that he does, short of sucking, will give him the job on Sunday. It could go a long way to helping him earn that spot some time down the road though. I personally am expecting him to do well enough to earn many third down touches as well as plenty of "get him in there" touches come end of game.

Staley ain't ready to carry the ball 20 times a game. That knee won't be ready until after the bye. I think Parker will be used sparingly after both Bettis and Staley are back to full health. Willie will take on the role that Verron Hayes had last year. Catching out of the backfield on 3rd down etc.

971197[/snapback]

Agreed....so why did you quote me?

I was just trying to give Spain's Tighty Wighty's Defense some skidmarks. :D

Meaning....Parker might very well have a good game this weekend....but I agree that this will be a 3 man show in Pitt when Staley and Bettis come back. Meaning...if you HAVE to start a Steeler RB in FF....you are in trouble this season. :D

I love my Steelers.....but I call it like I see it. :D