[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UCLA Favored vs. Oklahoma

Kansas State 2000

The line is directly related to the Fate of Peterson

Stoops on Sooners star: 'We anticipate him playing'

Sep. 13, 2005

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said he'll decide later this week whether suspended tailback Adrian Peterson will start Saturday against UCLA.

Advertisement

"We'll see. At this point, we anticipate him playing," Stoops said Tuesday. "Start or not depends on how we feel practice is going, what we feel we need to do. Depending on what further happens from here, we'll see."

Peterson, who rushed for 220 yards and three touchdowns in Oklahoma's 31-15 win against Tulsa on Saturday, was suspended from practice on Monday and Tuesday after missing classes. He was allowed to participate in team meetings and other activities, but is not allowed to speak to reporters.

Peterson's suspension was a result of a new Oklahoma athletic department policy on class attendance implemented this year. Under the policy, obtained by the Associated Press, athletes who accumulate four unexcused absences are suspended from practice for two days. For each subsequent absence, athletes are suspended for the next scheduled competition.

After struggling in the opener, Adrian Peterson bounced back with 220 rushing yards vs. Tulsa. (AP)

Athletes also can lose other privileges, including complimentary game admissions and athletic awards, and be excluded from competing in postseason play. Coaches can institute other attendance guidelines, provided athletes are notified in writing at the beginning of the academic year.

Athletic director Joe Castiglione said the new approach was one of the university's strategies to improve academic performance and retention and make sure athletes are progressing toward their degrees.

"This is just one element of a number of things that we are doing," Castiglione said.

Stoops endorses that policy.

"In the end, they're here to go to school, and it should be our job as administrators or as coaches that if they're not, we can't put you on the field," Stoops said.

No. 21 Oklahoma announced the suspension in a statement sent to a limited number of news organizations following the Sooners' closed practice Monday night.

"I probably shouldn't have said (Monday), but everyone finds out anyway," Stoops said. "In fairness to him, it probably doesn't need to be me coming out and saying that. In the end, that's the situation, and it's better than all the rumors being around about it."

Peterson's suspension came nine days after the team's starting quarterback, 20-year-old Rhett Bomar, was cited for possession of alcohol by a minor.

"We're doing things discipline-wise, and everything else like we always have," Stoops said. "That doesn't mean it's right or good, and it's fair to criticize me because some teams accept it better than others and listen or are disciplined better than others."

I doubt Stoops has the balls to do the right thing and hold him out, most coaches don't. Another lesson for our youngsters that skipping school is cool , he won't start but he'll be in after the first series. OU should win that game by 10+

:D

Edited by theeohiostate

I'm a "by default" UCLA football fan. I'm a UC alum, just didn't have a football team at my school... :D ...so had to go with the most local UC football team, which is the Bruins. Have a few buddies that played for the Bruins, too... so, yeah... anyways, the Bruins are gonna get slammed. I heard the spread was 6 1/2, but I thought that was for the SOONERS. Just found out it's for the Bruins. Wow. Can't agree there. The Sooners still have an outstanding defense, and if Peterson plays (he will), they will be just fine. No way they lose this game, even if it is in LA.

Of course, since I'll be watching the game and rooting for the Bruins, I'll probably bet on the Bruins. Or maybe take the 6 1/2 and hope it's a 3-point Bruin win.

I doubt Stoops has the balls to do the right thing and hold him out, most coaches don't.  Another lesson for our youngsters that skipping school is cool , he won't start but he'll be in after the first series.

990189[/snapback]

Yeah, I mean who skips class in college?

Yeah, I mean who skips class in college?

990440[/snapback]

:D Athletes.........Slackers

It's a school policy and if he skips one more, that's a game suspension. Regarless of who skips classes, this guy has to carry the team on his back and he know's it. To jeopardize the team's fate for his own warefare should be frowned on, or maybe he just doesn't give a Athena :D

Stoops is losing respect nationally having already started his QB last week after Rhett Bomar was cited for possession of alcohol by a minor and now this.

Edited by theeohiostate

OU Football Player Code of Conduct

Infraction = Penalty

Miss 1 Class: Suspended from Team Movie Night

Miss 2 Classes: Suspended from 2 practices

Miss 3 Classes: Not allowed to eat pancakes at the team breakfast

Miss 4 Classes: Have to sit in the back of team bus / plane

Miss 5 Classes: Have to wash your own practice uniform (but you get 2 days to do it!)

Miss 6 Classes: Forced to go out to the bookstore and buy the Cliff's Notes

Miss 7 Classes: Forced to actually READ the Cliff's Notes

Miss 8 Classes: Run 10 laps around the North Endzone Goal Posts

Miss 9 Classes: Suspended for 1 practice. Forced to practice with the male cheerleading squad.

Miss 10 Classes: Forced to drink water rather than Gatorade at next practice.

Miss > 10 Classes: Earn Degree

:D Athletes.........Slackers

It's a school policy and if he skips one more, that's a game suspension. Regarless of who skips classes, this guy has to carry the team on his back and he know's it. To jeopardize the team's fate for his own warefare should be frowned on, or maybe he just doesn't give a Athena  :D

Stoops is losing respect nationally having already started his QB last week after Rhett Bomar was cited for possession of alcohol by a minor and now this.

990556[/snapback]

Are you serious. Peterson misses a couple of classes, and you think Stoops is losing respect because he doesnt sit him the whole game. What an idiot. How bout tressel with absolutely no control over Clarett in news conferences when he wore his jersey backwards to show his name. Then Clarett wins OSU a title, and Tressell turns his back on him to save his own ass for illegal activity that was later brushed under the rug by the atheltic department. Funny that AD left the same time the Athena was hitting the fan, and this guy is still a division 1 coach. Amazing.

Tressell had Texas in their backyard at night where they rarely lose, and had both QBs playing, and a dominant defensive performance and he single handedly loses the game because of conservative play calling when he could have put the game away after Texas gift turnovers. Mack brown is a complete idiot, but this guy made him look like a genius last Saturday night.

995223[/snapback]

You have chosen to ignore Clark Griswold. View this post · Squeeze me a little harder Clark Griswold

Pri. pee pee

Will everyone let me know when this wannabe has something with substance to say.....just another jealous conference basher from i could tell.

Dude, that was tough. I couldn't lay off one card with OU getting 16 pts. Just wasn't enough. Watch those fools take TX to the shed again this year, tho. Now (for me) that would REALLY SUCK!!!

Oh well, into the garbage with that card, and on to the next!