[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Battle v. Lloyd - West Coast offense question

tgbusill

Okay, so the Niners aren't the Colts or Rams. but here's my question...

Everyone and his uncle had B. Lloyd ranked above Battle in draft rankings.

Even today, Lloyd (prior to last-minute hamstring injury) is generally ranked anywhere from 29-34 in this week's cheatsheets. While Battle can be anywhere from 45+.

Going against my Birds (who will be fired up big-time after the Monday night debacle) on the road, it's a tough day for both.

I'm not a West Coast offense expert, but...

The Niners are using Battle as the Z-receiver (flanker) and Lloyd as the split end.

Just doing some quick Googling and reading and it seems that the Z-receiver is the WR most likely to be targeted.

In WK 1 Battle pulled in 5 recs + a TD v. Llloyd's 3 + a TD (and one of those was a 25 yd pass from Battle - former ND QB).

There are some experts who are already proclaiming Battle to be the #1 WR on SF and expect him to lead the team in recs.

Disclaimer: I drafted Battle in the 16th round of my work league (10-team) after boasting to everyone prior to the draft that my last pick would be a Super-sleeper that no one had ever heard of. Of course, I was mocked ("At least you know who you're first drop will be..").

2 questions:

1) Why do the so called experts still have Lloyd (often injured and a total head case who has alienated his teammates) ranked above Battle?

2) Would anyone drop Lloyd for Battle? (I have Lloyd as my #5 on 2 teams and Battle is available in both leagues - didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket in all my drafts :D )

Thinking of dropping Lloyd for Battle based on the above.

Anyone else see Battle as the guy is SF and not Lloyd?

-----------------------------------

Road Rage

10-team performance scoring

QB: Hasselback, Vick

RB: James, K. Jones, L. Jordan, M. Anderson, M. Bennett, D. Foster, D. Rhodes

WR: Horn, A. Johnson, Boldin, Battle

TE: McMichael

K: Wilkins

D: CHI

2 questions:

1) Why do the so called experts still have Lloyd (often injured and a total head case who has alienated his teammates) ranked above Battle?

2) Would anyone drop Lloyd for Battle? (I have Lloyd as my #5 on 2 teams and Battle is available in both leagues - didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket in all my drafts :D )

Thinking of dropping Lloyd for Battle based on the above.

Anyone else see Battle as the guy is SF and not Lloyd?

999402[/snapback]

1. Lloyd was suppose to be the guy that takes over for TO when he left.

2. I'd wait a game or two to see who the 49ers are really going to make there main target. One game now, let's not assume too quick now.

I just picked up Battle off the WW myself, but I dropped Travis Taylor to get him.

As long as you have all your bye weeks covered, I think you should go with the guy that has more upside. We’ve all seen what Lloyd can do, somewhat unimpressive even for a bench guy. Battle has more upside, his upside could be well above Lloyds becuase nobody really knows what he brings to the table yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets reopen this discussion. From looking at them from a distance it would seem Battle is the possession guy and Lloyd is your homerun threat. Battle has slightly more targets and is used in the running (and even passing) game but Lloyds got more yards (and tds) thanks to the 89 yard td vs the Cowboys this week.

Who would you rather have?

Seems like Lloyd is going to be hit and miss each week. Battle will be consistent but rarely is going to have the "big" game.

Ok this coming from a niners homer.

Lloyd can catch just about anything thrown to him. He could probably catch knives or arrows with his quick hands. He has excellent jumping and body control. His negatives in the past were speed because he ran like a 4.7 time in the draft combines 2 years ago. During his junior or senior year in college he broke his leg pretty bad and supposedly lost his speed there. If you watched this past game, he was running by coverage...maybe it was him or maybe the cowboys CB's are just slow. In the past he had separation problems but this year he seems to have gotten a little extra burst. I would call Lloyd more of a finesse type of runner who can't take a big hit. I think he's around 180lbs on a skinny frame.

Battle is the bigger receiver that appears faster, and can take a big hit and even bounce off people. He played special teams last year and was the lead in the wedge and enjoys contact. Battle was a former QB at Notre Dame, so they have special plays designed just for him.

Between the two right now I don't think there is a clear cut #1 guy. In reality these guys are more like decent #2 receivers who are overachievers. The niners drafted Rashaun Woods last year to be the #1 guy, but he's turned out so far to be a huge bust.

Edited by mitpdub