[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Today...It's on!

untateve

I have 15 lbs of baby back ribs, purchased from my best friend, the local butcher. The rub went on yesterday. The Egg, lump charcoal, and cherry wood are ready. About 5 hours of low and slow, indirect cooking on the Egg--followed by an hour of light mopping with my smoked onion bbq sauce.

Snacks include home-made onion dip, chili dip, stuffed mushrooms (herbs and cheese), and jalepeno poppers (along with chips, pretzels, etc.)

Sides include home made mac and cheese, home made baked beans, and some vegetable dishes that people are bringing over.

Dessert, I made a cheese cake and my wife made her famous, no flour, chocolate tort.

Two televisions with direct TV football package and ales aplenty.

And the Gators beat the vols last night.

sigh...Life is good.

I like to put the rub on the day before to allow it to get in the meat.  There's only certain meats that I put a rub on, ribs being one of them.  I put the rub on, wrap in saran wrap, and let them sit in the fridge over night.

999550[/snapback]

Roger that. :D

I like to put the rub on the day before to allow it to get in the meat.  There's only certain meats that I put a rub on, ribs being one of them.  I put the rub on, wrap in saran wrap, and let them sit in the fridge over night.

999550[/snapback]

Exactly my process Untateve. I'm guessing you also remove the membrane before you rub.

I thought you weren't supposed to put the rub on until 15 mins before you were going to cook them? Does it make a difference? How much of a difference?

Good to see you are putting that Egg to use. :oldrazz:

999533[/snapback]

Lately we have been putting rub on right before the ribs go on. We are trying to test the theory that the salt and spices actually pull tenderness from the meat.

We have had great results with this, but aren't sure if it's because of this or some other techniques we have been employing.

Either way, the ribs taste great. A friend of mine started doing it 15 minutes before as he has been entering BBQ contests in the area, and his results and placements in the tourneys has gone up dramatically since changing.

A friend of mine started doing it 15 minutes before as he has been entering BBQ contests in the area, and his results and placements in the tourneys has gone up dramatically since changing.

999633[/snapback]

I think I'll try it this way next time and see if there's a difference.

untateve, I was wondering if you can give us a rundown of how the thing works. I'd be interested to know the way the egg is setup internally. Does it have a rack for the fire at the bottom, and does it have a water pan built in.

Also, does it have a door or entry point on the side to reload wood, or do you only have to light one fire, and the egg is efficient enough to allow the fire to burn at a slow, consistent rate?

untateve, I was wondering if you can give us a rundown of how the thing works.  I'd be interested to know the way the egg is setup internally. Does it have a rack for the fire at the bottom, and does it have a water pan built in.

Also, does it have a door or entry point on the side to reload wood, or do you only have to light one fire, and the egg is efficient enough to allow the fire to burn at a slow, consistent rate?

999831[/snapback]

The Egg is a very heavy ceramic--it holds heat nicely. You have an adjustable vent on the bottom and one on the top. Because it is ceramic, in combination with the vents, it's very easy to control the temp. I've done low and slow from 180-190 degrees, to searing a steak at 800 degrees.

I have cooked as long as 20 hours on one load.

You can set up a regular and place another metal rack on top of that for direct cooking. It is also possible to set up indirect cooking with a plate setter. [Plate setter--think pizza stone with legs] Invert the plate setter and place the metal rack on top. That's the set up I'm using today with my ribs. under the metal rack, but on top of the plate setter is a water pan filled with apple juice. Right now, I've got the temp at 210 degrees and it will hold steady for hours until I adjust vents.

I use lump charcoal and on long cooks (pork butt, ribs, etc), I mix in the wood I want within the lump.

I think I answered all your questions. Any others? I'm always happy to talk about the Egg.

The Egg is a very heavy ceramic--it holds heat nicely.  You have an adjustable vent on the bottom and one on the top.  Because it is ceramic, in combination with the vents, it's very easy to control the temp.  I've done low and slow from 180-190 degrees, to searing a steak at 800 degrees.

I have cooked as long as 20 hours on one load.

You can set up a regular and place another metal rack on top of that for direct cooking.  It is also possible to set up indirect cooking with a plate setter.  [Plate setter--think pizza stone with legs]  Invert the plate setter and place the metal rack on top.  That's the set up I'm using today with my ribs.  under the metal rack, but on top of the plate setter is a water pan filled with apple juice.  Right now, I've got the temp at 210 degrees and it will hold steady for hours until I adjust vents.

I use lump charcoal and on long cooks (pork butt, ribs, etc), I mix in the wood I want within the lump. 

I think I answered all your questions.  Any others?  I'm always happy to talk about the Egg.

1000030[/snapback]

Interesting. I assume then you still get a good "smoky" flavor as you would with a smoker.

So the plate setter serves as kind of a blocker so the heat will rotate around the plate setter? I assume thats the case so you don't cook the meat too fast.

On a side note, that lump charcoal is great. I also use A LOT of apple wood when smoking. It's amazing how the fruit woods add a TON of flavor to the meat.

Edited by Chief Dick

Interesting. I assume then you still get a good "smoky" flavor as you would with a smoker.

So the plate setter serves as kind of a blocker so the heat will rotate around the plate setter? I assume thats the case so you don't cook the meat too fast.

On a side note, that lump charcoal is great. I also use A LOT of apple wood when smoking. It's amazing how the fruit woods add a TON of flavor to the meat.

1000045[/snapback]

You get real nice smoky flavor. I order wood chunks online as I prefer chunk to chips. You are correct on the plate setter--I allows for the indirect to slow cook the meat.

unt, are you going to Atlanta Oct 14th? I have to pass this year but if you are able you gotta go. Dr BBQ is there and his food's not to be missed. The dizzy pig fellas are their sampling their rubs and their steak is to die for...

The Egg sounds cool, i have a hard time regulating the temp for long slow cooking in all my grills. Is this a commercial product, if so, where can i get more info...

You guys are killing me, im spending my day in the office catching up on paperwork. At least i have a tv in here...

Have a rib for me will ya? :D

Edited to add: How does it do on smoking fish? I do alot of salmon, steelhead and lake trout in my smoker, but again, its tough to regulate the heat.

thanks Una

Edited by Cunning Linguist

The Egg sounds cool, i have a hard time regulating the temp for long slow cooking in all my grills. Is this a commercial product, if so, where can i get more info...

You guys are killing me, im spending my day in the office catching up on paperwork. At least i have a tv in here...

Have a rib for me will ya?  :D

1000139[/snapback]

http://www.biggreenegg.com/index.php?optio...4084f0da668615d

all knowledge will be yours. somewhere on the site there's a place to type in your zip code to find the closest dealer.