[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can UT Hang on to the #2 Spot

rbmcdonald

If UT and USC both win out (big if), then will UT be able to hold on to the #2 spot? I think there have been some projections that they would not be #2 if a BCS ranking came out today.

It is interesting that they picked up 3 first place votes from USC in the Coaches poll and 8 first place votes from USC in the Harris poll, after the win over OU.

There are currently 7 undefeated teams in the top 15: VT, Geo, FST, Ala, PST, UCLA and TTech. Under the above scenario, UCLA and Tech will lose at least one. Also, two of VT, FST, Geo and Ala will lose because of Conf Championship games. Does anyone see Penn St winning out? (@ Mich, H Wis & @ Mich St), so say they lose.

That leaves a possible UT, ACC champ & SEC champ undefeated. Does UT get the #2 spot? You can certainly argue that the SEC and ACC are better Conf this year. I do not think they will lose ground in the voting polls, if they do not lose or do not have a near miss. Will their strength in the human polls be enough to overcome the computer rankings?

If we just had a play-off system, we would be arguing who was 4/5 or 8/9 and not who was 2/3

Edited by rbmcdonald

I can see USC, Texas, VT and Georgia going undefeated, but it isn't likely. If Texas looses the #2 to anyone it will be to VT. Hopefully Texas Tech will continue to win to help strengthen the schedule. If Texas goes undefeated, I don't see how they can not play in the NC game, but then again I'ma homer.

Actually, I can see Penn State winning out. Here's our remaining schedule:

Oct 15 @Michigan

Oct 22 @Illinois

Oct 29 Purdue

Nov 5 Wisconsin

Nov 19 @Michigan St.

Even though Michigan and Illinois are on the road both are very winnable games this year. Having Purdue and Wisconsin at home gives us the edge in both those games. The final test against Michigan State is the real challenge, but I believe that being undefeated at that point will be enough motivation to catapault us into the national title picture. Of course PSU will only get a shot at that game if They are the only undefeated team left. I could very well see a one loss USC team getting the nod over an undefeated PSU team if Texas was undefeated.

Which once again brings us to the "the BCS is very f'ing worhtless" segment of our program.

I can see USC, Texas, VT and Georgia going undefeated, but it isn't likely.  If Texas looses the #2 to anyone it will be to VT.  Hopefully Texas Tech will continue to win to help strengthen the schedule.  If Texas goes undefeated, I don't see how they can not play in the NC game, but then again I'ma homer.

1057528[/snapback]

I agree.Virginia Tech IMO is the only team that could knock Texas out of the #2 spot if both go undefeated.Texas has the best shot though with the schedule they have left.If VT goes unbeaten they deserve to be in the title game regardless of what any poll,human or computer says.

If USC wins out, they will be there, and deserve to be there. They shouldn't not be #1 until they lose. They have a right to defend what they have earned already. I really think Georgia is the 2nd best team right now. They have a 5th year senior at QB (See Auburn last year to find out how much of a difference that can make), and arguablly the best Defense in the country. They probably have the toughest road of any of the Top 4 though. Florida, Auburn, Ga Tech, and SEC Championship Game (LSU, Auburn, or Alabama, pick your poison). Do they play Bama in the season too? If they get through those slates of games, I just don't see how anyone can keep them from a NC Game. It's not that Texas wouldnt be deserving to be there, but that Georgia would be more deserving in my opinion. Personally, I would love to see USC vs any of those 3 games. It would be a national championship game I would be excited for, being that I've only enjoyed 2 of them in the BCS era (OU vs FSU in 2001, and OSU vs Miami in 2003 being the 2)

Actually, I can see Penn State winning out. Here's our remaining schedule:

Oct 15 @Michigan

Oct 22 @Illinois 

Oct 29 Purdue 

Nov 5 Wisconsin 

Nov 19 @Michigan St.

Even though Michigan and Illinois are on the road both are very winnable games this year. Having Purdue and Wisconsin at home gives us the edge in both those games. The final test against Michigan State is the real challenge, but I believe that being undefeated at that point will be enough motivation to catapault us into the national title picture. Of course PSU will only get a shot at that game if They are the only undefeated team left. I could very well see a one loss USC team getting the nod over an undefeated PSU team if Texas was undefeated.

Which once again brings us to the "the BCS is very f'ing worhtless" segment of our program.

1057710[/snapback]

No chance in he!!

You will lose to UM and MSU, probaby lose to MSU by at least 10pts. I say PSU finishes with 3 losses before the bowl.

You cant see how UGA would be left out of the NC if they win out??? Sounds alot like the Auburn scenario from last season and OU made the championship game. Seems like all we have here is a few teams switched around - Texas for Oklahoma and Georgia for Auburn with probably the same result is all teams run the table.

And Penn State could go undefeated Chief. Not saying they will, but it could happen. All PSU games remaining except Illinois are not givens on any Big 10 Saturday, but after what they've done thus far, to say they won't go undefeated is as much tunnel vision as those who toot their horn and proclaim the Nittany Lions will end up 11-0.

Here's "hoping" for 5 more Nittany Lion victories!!!

I can see USC, Texas, VT and Georgia going undefeated, but it isn't likely.  If Texas looses the #2 to anyone it will be to VT.  Hopefully Texas Tech will continue to win to help strengthen the schedule.  If Texas goes undefeated, I don't see how they can not play in the NC game, but then again I'ma homer.

1057528[/snapback]

I hope Tech continues to win too!!!!!! I hope they beat the holy living crap out of the team they play on Sat Oct 22..........

I hope Tech continues to win too!!!!!! I hope they beat the holy living crap out of the team they play on Sat Oct 22..........

1073355[/snapback]

Ohhhh poor Lil, sad sad Okie

It is a very pathetic thing to see an Okies look for Texas Tech to win a game for them. If I were you, I would worry more about how many points Tech will score Nov 22. It is very possible they will hang 50 points on the cheaters, I mean Sooners.

UT should dominate Tech just like last year, People tend to forget that Tech has the same offense every year and continue to get dominated at the hands of the longhorns. Last year it was in Lubbock, both top 15 with a 51-15 drumming. I don't see any reason why the longhorns won't hand it to tech by 20+ (spread is 14-16ish) and apparently vince can throw this year. For all of you ACC fans, Barnett said Texas was a FAR better team than Miami, and they didn't deserve to be as close to Texas as they are in the BCS. The D is better this year so I think once Texas hands it to Tech and wins out, they will be in the NC. I believe VT is good, but will probably lose one of those tough games (most likely ACC champ IMO vs FSU?) If they do win out and win the ACC champ they might be this year's Georgia, b/c the way vince is playing it's gonna be hard to take the possible heisman winner out of the NC...just my .02

Bush vs Young...#1 vs #2, Why not?

Tech only wins if Vince Young snaps his ACL in pregame. Tech defense is TERRRRRRRRRRIBLE

1085364[/snapback]

No its not good, but I think it is an improvement over the defense they have had in the past.

Tech only wins if Vince Young snaps his ACL in pregame. Tech defense is TERRRRRRRRRRIBLE

1085364[/snapback]

I do not think that is true. Texas has the running backs, and more importantly the O-Line to have long sustained drives against Tech. Tech can't score if they are not on the field. Tech seems to be one of those teams that either scores more than 60 or around 30 or less. They need to get into a steady rhythm, for their offense to really get going. Long sustained drives kill that. Let’s not forget that Kansas held them to 30. Certainly UT is a much better team with VY at QB, but I think they are good enough to beat Tech without him. Actually, they probably could win out without VY, they would get killed in the Rose Bowl, but hey that is another story.