[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UT #1 in 2nd BCS Poll

rbmcdonald

The second BCS poll is out, and UT has jumped USC.

My personal opinion is that this poll is in fact accurate; I think that UT is currently the best all around team in the country. USC's offense may be better (if slow starting), but UT's Defense more than makes up the difference over the USC defense. V-Tech's defense may be better, but again UT's offense more than makes up the difference over the V-Tech offense.

Too bad we do not have a play-off to decide these issues. In an 8 team play-off, the first round match-ups at this point would be:

UT vs LSU

USC vs Miami

V Tech vs UCLA

Geo vs Ala

Would anybody pay money to watch these games?

Penn State is 9 in the BCS, but if they keep winning obviously they will be in the top 8, as some of the above teams are guaranteed to lose.

By the way, if anyone is interested, there is an easy way to get some type of play-off. All you have to do is turn off your TV on January 4, 2006. If the TV ratings for the Rose Bowl are counted in the 100,000s rather than the millions, then we will have a play-off system faster than you can say "crap, the network lost a ton of money"

Edited by rbmcdonald

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second BCS poll is out, and UT has jumped USC.

1094522[/snapback]

And yes, I realize that USC will most likely reclaim the #1 spot as the season progresses. However, I still believe that UT is currently the best team in the country.

It is hilarious that the BCS gives UT the #1 spot with a win over an obvious VERY over rated Tech team

FIU Won 56-3

Sam Houston State Won 80-21

Indiana State Won 63-7

Kansas Won 30-17

@Nebraska Won 34-31

Kansas St. Won 59-20

I guess with a rough schedule like the one T.Tech played that makes them a good team :D

There are probably 30-50 teams in the NCAA that would be 6-0 with that schedule as well.

USC would blow out Texas by 20+ points.............anyday of the week. Another over rated suicide mission.

Edited by theeohiostate

USC would blow out Texas by 20+ points.............anyday of the week.  Another over rated suicide mission.

1094790[/snapback]

I am confused, so maybe you will help me. What exactly do you base your prediction that USC would beat UT by 20?

Is it that USC has an average margin of victory of 27, with the 23rd hardest schedule, and UT has an average margin of victory of 32, with the 14th hardest schedule?

Or is it that USC has beaten 2 teams in this weeks BCS top 25, and UT has beaten 3 in this weeks BCS top 25?

Or maybe it is that USC beat Notre Dame by 3 points, at ND and Texas beat Ohio State, by 3 points at OSU? Surely you do not think that ND is that much better than Ohio State? Or Do you?

Well I guess it does not matter, does it. We will get to see what happens on Jan 4, as long as USC does not lose to UCLA or Cal.

Oh, and if you would like I would be willing to bet on a USC / UT match up, and I would not even ask for 20 points, I will do it for no points. You name the stakes, loser is banned from the board for a year, or loser has to use an avatar of the winners choosing. Whatever you like, just let me know.

Still bitter about Vince and the boys going onto your home field and destroying you... Its ok Ohiostate... its ok...

1095072[/snapback]

Has nothing to do about that, my concern was Tech being way over rated and the BCS giving Texas the nod over a team that hasn't lost a game in their last 27.

Try not to hijack the thread please :D

If Va Tech wins out then they'd jump USC and we'd have another bogus National Championship game as we've had the last two years when Auburn and USC got burnt and had the better team.

I am confused, so maybe you will help me.  What exactly do you base your prediction that USC would beat UT by 20?

1095098[/snapback]

Hmmmm :D

They have 2 Heisman(including Bush this year) winners playing for them, the best coaching staff in college football, a 27 game winning streak, 2 straight National Titles and Texas hasn't faced a legit offense yet this season ( ............don't even dare reply with T.Tech :D ).

I would gladly have you abolished for a year when USC stumps on Texas. If OSU can put up 22 points on Texas. BE AFRAID!! BE VERY AFRAID!!! Our offense flat out SUX!! OSU has a much better D than Texas and i would venture to say USC would ring up 35-45 on us :D

Sorry but theohiostate is right. Insert Texas for Oklahoma. A Big 12 team beating up on the overrated Big 12 opponents. Texas gets stomped by USC, Va Tech, or Georgia. Take your pick. There win over Ohio State was impressive being in Columbus, but the Big Ten, quite frankly, just has not lived up to teh preseason hype. And that's coming from a Big Ten fan. How many times do we have to see another Big 12 team run through a patsy conference and get into the title game, only to get embarassed. And I mean EMBARASSED! The sad thing is, I feel the best of the lot is whomever survives the Southeastern Conference, and for the 2nd year in a row, they won't get an opprutunity to play if this plays out. I said if this plays out. Lot of football to be played. Texas #1 in the BCS just shows what a crock the BCS really is, and why College Football is in DESPERATE need of some sort of a playoff.

And I would not take Texas over USC. Not in a million years. Straight up... USC can score on any team in teh nation, and have proven that they can turn it on and off whenever they want. And lets not forget what this team did to Oklahoma last year. While I think this Texas team is better... I still can't get Nebraska of 2001, Oklahoma of 2003, and Oklahoma of 2004 out of my mind. And yes, Notre Dame is better than Ohio State.

Based upon who has played who to date, I think the BCS has it right. Unfortunately for me my Horns the season didn't end this weekend. If VT wins out, there is no doubt they will jump USC, but they could also jump Texas, and USC could go back ahead of Texas. The rest of Texas' schedule is powder puff with the exception of A&M, and the only people that realize A&M will be a tough opponent are those from Texas that know the history of the rivalry.

Perch,

No disrespect to your Longhorns, they did beat us at home, but we're not even a fly's spit of the offense that USC has, and while Texas is having a great season, USC will dominate them offensively, putting pressure on Young and we all know that spells I....N....T....sssssss.

The only reason Texas jumped them was due to the Tech win, and seriously Tech has no business being called a good team, playing that kind of schedule.

Outside of USC the best team in the country resides in the SEC, i'm afraid....Georgia.

And I would not take Texas over USC. Not in a million years. Straight up... USC can score on any team in teh nation, and have proven that they can turn it on and off whenever they want. And lets not forget what this team did to Oklahoma last year. While I think this Texas team is better... I still can't get Nebraska of 2001, Oklahoma of 2003, and Oklahoma of 2004 out of my mind. And yes, Notre Dame is better than Ohio State.

1095175[/snapback]

First, I do not give a crap what USC did to Oklahoma last year, as I do not give a crap what UT did or did not do to Michigan last year. Fact is both those teams or gone. No college teams is ever the same, year to year.

Second, are you trying to tell me that USC has struggled in the beginning of their games against some of the PAC-10 opponents because they know that they can turn it on when ever they want to? That is absolute crap; they have struggled against these teams because they are not as good as they were last year. Ultimately they have been able to wear down inferior defense. They will not be able to do that to UT, as UT is much more physical and much deeper than any defense they have faced.

Perch,

No disrespect to your Longhorns, they did beat us at home, but we're not even a fly's spit of the offense that USC has, and while Texas is having a great season, USC will dominate them offensively, putting pressure on Young and we all know that spells I....N....T....sssssss.

The only reason Texas jumped them was due to the Tech win, and seriously Tech has no business being called a good team, playing that kind of schedule.

Outside of USC the best team in the country resides in the SEC, i'm afraid....Georgia.

1095259[/snapback]

If USC’s offense is so superior to UT’s, then why are they averaging only 2 points more a game, on a comparable schedule? The fact is that as of this point, UT’s strength of schedule is harder than USC’s. Granted, from here on out, USC’s schedule is harder than UT’s, but I would also be willing to beat that by the end of the year, UT’s average points per game will be more than USC’s. And do not give me any crap about a weak Big XII, I agree that the Big XII is the probably only the third best conference, but wherever you rank the Big XII, you have to rank the PAC X lower.

And what about the mighty SEC? Georgia beats Arkansas by 3 points, at home? Did you see what USC did to Arkansas? Alabama can only score 6 points on Tenn at home? Those two are the class of the SEC this year.

Ok, if you don't think USC's offense is as good or better than last year, you're dreaming. They are on pace to break records my friend.

While I agree, Texas' defense may very well be the best defense they see all year long the answer to that is... it just doesn't matter. No defense in college football can stop USC. Period. End of story. Look it's a great thing what Texas did, you know finally beating Oklahoma (who probably would struggle to be bowl eligable in say... the SEC) and a Texas Tech team that has a defense equivalent of your local area 9th grade girls volleyball team. Thats all great. USC is on a different level. If USC needs a stop on defense, they get it, and offensively, like I said... no one can stop them. Texas beat Ohio State in Columbus. It will end up being the only good team they've faced all year. I just think that if USC doesn't go to the Rose Bowl and goes undefeated it's a crock. If they go undefeated, they should have a right to defend what they have already accomplished. If Texas goes undefeated, and makes it against USC, then you won't get any complaints from me. I didn't even complain last year about Oklahoma getting it because they took care of business, and won their conference. I'm just saying... it'll be ugly. Texas' defense has faced one good offense, and thats Tech. Game plan vs Tech is really pretty easy. Slap their receivers around a little bit, and they go crying to mommy. So I still say, Texas has yet to see an offense that is even HALF as good as USC's. Don't worry, you'll see.

Well if USC is left out and goes undefeated, it will undoubedtly be the biggest screwjob EVER.

1095198[/snapback]

Anyone that makes this statement clearly does not understand how the BCS works.

1st, if USC and UT win out, then USC will jump back ahead of UT, that is a given.

2nd, if VT wins out, they will not jump either UT or USC, if UT or USC win out. This is not a judgement on who is better, it is the reality of the BCS. VT average computer ranking will probably move past one or both of UT and USC, but the computer ranking is only 1/3 of the equation. The only way that they can jump UT or USC is to pick up substantial votes in the human polls. History has shown time and again, that large numbers of human voters do not pull there support from a team that does not lose.

Auburn was third in the BCS last year because they started out lower than USC and Oklahoma.

If you do not like the way the BCS works, then stop watching the Crap they call a National Championship Game. When the ratings go away, things will change, until then nothing will change.

I'm just pointing out what a crock it would be if USC won out and got left out. I didn't say it WOULD happen. Learn to read. And I know exactly how the BCS works. And I watch College Football because I love College Football. Just because I (like almost everyone else) hate the BCS, doesn't mean I should stop watching. If that was the case, then guess what... you wouldn't see any packed stadiums each week, because there aren't many people who like the BCS.

... it just doesn't matter. No defense in college football can stop USC. Period. End of story.

1095391[/snapback]

That is so much crap. Either one of two lucky plays go against USC, and they lose to Notre Dame. They make a 30 yard pass completion on 4 and long, and the ball bounces out of bounds (and oh by the way, the ref blows the spot by several yards). Maybe USC is better than UT, maybe they are not, we will see on January 4, but do not give me this, they are vastly superior crap. If they were vastly superior, they would not have needed luck to beat Notre Dame, they would have been in control of the game before the end of the 4th quarter. USC is college team, like any other really good college team in the past. They are deep in talent, have some really good aspects, and a few flaws.

So am I to assume that if USC and UT make it to the same bowl this year, you will be up for a beat too? Or does you belief in the almighty invincible USC not go that far?

It's obvious to me that mrs. mcdonald isn't giving any. :D

You must have a Longhorn up your a..s...s, huh?

Give it a rest already, your only convincing yourself that Texas is better, the rest of the country knows better  :D

1095393[/snapback]

Boo Hoo, TheOSU called me a girl. Is this where I run home and cry, that the play ground bully called me a name?

So, am I correct in understanding, that if USC and UT make it to the same bowl game this year, that you will be up to a bet? Or are you limited to name calling?

I still can't get Nebraska of 2001, Oklahoma of 2003, and Oklahoma of 2004 out of my mind. And yes, Notre Dame is better than Ohio State.

As a Nebraska fan, I can honestly say that after the azz-kicking we got in Boulder, we had no business playing in the BCS championship game. But honestly, who was going to beat Miami that year.

The simple fact is that the BCS cannot work unless there are only 2 undefeated teams at the end of the year. Otherwise we are going to have the same situation repeated over and over.

Texas-USC would be a high-scoring game and I can see either team winning a 35-31 type game. SC would not be able to contain Young running or passing. Texas' defense itself is vulnerable and SC would be able to score plenty on them.

It'll basically come down to Vince vs Bush, and I'd put my money on Vince.

Boo Hoo, TheOSU called me a girl.  Is this where I run home and cry, that the play ground bully called me a name?

So, am I correct in understanding, that if USC and UT make it to the same bowl game this year, that you will be up to a bet?  Or are you limited to name calling?

1095428[/snapback]

You have nothing to lose but your alias username and lunch money :D

That is so much crap.  Either one of two lucky plays go against USC, and they lose to Notre Dame.  They make a 30 yard pass completion on 4 and long, and the ball bounces out of bounds (and oh by the way, the ref blows the spot by several yards).  Maybe USC is better than UT, maybe they are not, we will see on January 4, but do not give me this, they are vastly superior crap.  If they were vastly superior, they would not have needed luck to beat Notre Dame, they would have been in control of the game before the end of the 4th quarter.  USC is college team, like any other really good college team in the past.  They are deep in talent, have some really good aspects, and a few flaws.

So am I to assume that if USC and UT make it to the same bowl this year, you will be up for a beat too?  Or does you belief in the almighty invincible USC not go that far?

1095423[/snapback]

:D

If...........IF.............if..........IF :D

How 'bout this, if OSU didn't stub it's toe 3 times and Hamby doesn't let a perfect TD catch fall through his grasp the discussion would be over :D