[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yea, I don't think Weis is going anywhere.

budlitebrad

As my lawyer friend says, "you can break ANY contract, it's just a matter of how much you're willing to pay."

Weis is in at ND for a while, but after a national title or two in the next 5-6 years, he'll bolt for the NFL if they come knockin'.

As my lawyer friend says, "you can break ANY contract, it's just a matter of how much you're willing to pay."

Weis is in at ND for a while, but after a national title or two in the next 5-6 years, he'll bolt for the NFL if they come knockin'.

1113364[/snapback]

You know he has a buy-out in there. If ND keeps improving and their winning ways continue, look for Weis to bolt for the NFL somewhere in the not too distant future. 10 year contract is to keep the recruits happy. I'm sure if a recruit gets a visit from Weis, he wants to make sure he's gonna be there when the kid gets to school. Not to mention you probably have other schools telling that same kid, "Hey kid, you know Weis is just gonna bolt to the NFL in a year or two". Makes everyone feel warm and fuzzy.

You know he has a buy-out in there. If ND keeps improving and their winning ways continue, look for Weis to bolt for the NFL somewhere in the not too distant future. 10 year contract is to keep the recruits happy. I'm sure if a recruit gets a visit from Weis, he wants to make sure he's gonna be there when the kid gets to school. Not to mention you probably have other schools telling that same kid, "Hey kid, you know Weis is just gonna bolt to the NFL in a year or two". Makes everyone feel warm and fuzzy.

1114285[/snapback]

Great argument :D do you want to go and play for a coach that is NFL caliber with all the connections? or do you want to play for a coach the NFL is not interested in?

Want to play on Sunday? Come play for ND on Saturdays. :D

Weis said that the reason he did it is so that he can coach and watch his son go through ND...I know money is a powerful thing but this guy is probably already loaded and has some rings, why not dominate in the NCAA for all 10 years? :D

Great argument  :D do you want to go and play for a coach that is NFL caliber with all the connections? or do you want to play for a coach the NFL is not interested in?

Want to play on Sunday? Come play for ND on Saturdays. :D

1115850[/snapback]

I'm not arguing anything . I'm just saying most recruits want to know a coach is gonna be there if they sign their letter of intent. If ND is interested in a kid, he's probably a blue chipper which means other top schools are interested in him as well. Alot of times playing for a certain coach will be the deciding factor on which school a kid chooses. If a kid hears rumors of said coach bolting for the NFL, he might choose another school. There were alot of hurt feelings when Spurrier bolted for the NFL when he did. Like most top level college coaches, Spurrier does his own recruiting and a few UF prospects were pissed when he left to go to the Skins. Some of them stated they would of choosen another school if they knew Spurrier wasn't gonna be there.

Signing a 10 year contract, which most of us know is crap anyway, is one way to squash any rumors that Weis might bolt after a couple of years to the NFL. On almost every sports talk show they all remark on the great job Weis has done, but in the same breath they also wonder aloud if/when he will bolt for the NFL. You know these prospects hear the same stuff too. The 10 year extension is just window dressing to make recruits, alumn and boosters feel at ease. If you cannot see that, your blind.

ND hasn't exactly been feeding the NFL with a ton of players the past few years so the "Play on Sundays, play for ND on Saturdays" doesn't hold up like it used to a long time ago. :D

Edited by 'canes2004

Weis said that the reason he did it is so that he can coach and watch his son go through ND...I know money is a powerful thing but this guy is probably already loaded and has some rings, why not dominate in the NCAA for all 10 years?  :D

1116104[/snapback]

I agree. You see coaches in what seems like perfect enviorments leave all the time. I think while college life is great and all, the lure of the NFL with winning the SB and all just seems too appealing for some especially a coach who has his roots in the NFL.

Not to mention it's only been part of one season. Weis hasn't had a team HE'S recruited yet take the field. Yeah he's a great X's and O's coach but he's doing it with a team someone else recruited. The true test will be how ND is in 3-4 years when Weis recruited players take the field.

Except the difference is that Weis has actually done something with that team, when Willingham did not.

1118661[/snapback]

Hey, I think he's done a great job. The 2 losses they had, State and USC, were both great games. ND played with alot of heart and alot of fire. They're gonna be a force to reckon with for sure.

I'm  not arguing anything . I'm just saying most recruits want to know a coach is gonna be there if they sign their letter of intent.

ND hasn't exactly been feeding the NFL with a ton of players the past few years so the "Play on Sundays, play for ND on Saturdays" doesn't hold up like it used to a long time ago.  :D

1118625[/snapback]

I didn't mean to imply that you were. But if that's the best the other schools' recruiters can come up with, that's a good position to be in.

My Sunday comment applies directly to Weis and his 4 SB rings. Davie and Willingham didn't provide a pipeline to the NFL like Weis can with his contacts. he is set to have success along the lines of Pete Carroll, who also has the NFL-ties advantage.

And they've supplied plenty of NFL picks the past few years, maybe not as much as in the past, but Davie and Ty rellay put a squeeze on the program talent-wise. Right now, ND has the #2 recruiting class in the country by most standards, so that's going to change.

I do hope, however, that Ty gets credit for getting Quinn to ND. That kid's got game.

test

I didn't see this covered in this thread.

I read this in a column from a KC columnist whose name escapes me.

Why does Charlie get a 10 year contract after a 5-2 start (I believe) and Ty Will did not get a similar extension after his 7-0 start?

Why does Charlie get a 10 year contract after a 5-2 start (I believe) and Ty Will did not get a similar extension after his 7-0 start?

1119838[/snapback]

ESPN.com had a big article on the matter yesterday. Bascially they were asking the same thing.

Link

1119838[/snapback]

Weis is better, hands down. It's obvious.

Willingham couldn't recruit. Weis is on course for their best in a decade. Willingham won a Rose Bowl (I think) but doesn't have the success that Weis has had in the past and that success is clearly crossing over into the present.

Need more proof? This team is Willingham's players, and took USC to the mat. That's the same team that got blown out by 31 each of the last 3 years. Why wouldn't you lock up a superior coach, especially when the Vikings, Texans, Ravens, Raiders, Lions, Saints and Rams could all improve in their coaching staff if they made a run at Weis. 4 Bling Rings means a lot, something Ty never sniffed. It's more of a defensive move if anything, because they ended up with the best coach IMO, after bumbling through O'Leary, the not very well handled dismissal of Willingham and the 'dis by Urban Meyer - who I never wanted to begin with.

He deserved the extension, based on his past track record and short term results. Ty was new to that level of coaching, and they kept the jury out because of it. Seeing as how his teams declined it was a wise move. In the end, what did in Willingham was a satosfaction with mediocrity that no longer exists at ND. That's to be rewarded.

1119838[/snapback]

Here is a great (if naturally biased) article in response to Jason Whitlock's assertations:

Link

and a couple of quotes from the article:

"-In Willingham's first year, the Irish offense was anemic. Notre Dame ranked No. 109 in the nation in scoring. We won games on smoke and mirrors, not well-executed plays. Furthermore, there is a reason NFL teams wanted Weis and not Willingham. It's not because of skin color; it's because Weis considered by most to be an offensive genius, whereas Willingham ran neither the offense or defense on his teams. In fact, he was known as a motivator, yet couldn't get his team "up" to play Boston College in the ninth game of the 2002 season or in the opener against BYU last September."

"(Under Willingham) the Irish failed to score an offensive touchdown until the third game of the season. Once again, smoke and mirrors. When a true test came against Southern California later that season, Willingham showed exactly where he would lead the Irish in a fight against the best team in the country - to a 31-point loss. Asked about the three consecutive 31-point victories his Trojans had over us, Pete Carroll said it best after the epic Oct. 15 game in Notre Dame: "Yeah - I think those days are over." "

Bottom line is that for those of us who have watched every down of Notre Dame football under both the Willingham and Weis regimes there is no comparison. The casual observer or the race baiter might call "foul" here, but the cold, hard fact is that Weis is 10 times the coach Willingham is, and if he stays at ND throughout this contract there will be multiple national championships at ND.

And to the guy who compared Weis to Ron Powlus earlier, I only have two things to say:

1. Just because Beano Cook smokes crack, it doesn't mean we all do...

2. If Ron Powlus had Charlie Weis as a coach, Beano might have been right... and I would have been standing next to him hoping for a hit off the next rock.

• 3 weeks later...
Just go ahead and pencil ND in for a few National Championships in the next decade, because Weis is the real deal. :D

1108657[/snapback]

Notre Dame will NEVER win a National Championship ..... NEVER!!

It's a joke that their ranked where they are. They've played a very weak schedule. They have 2 losses. They should be ranked around 14 or 15 at best. They are the most overrated, overhyped team in college football every year! With all that being said Mr. Weiss has done a great job this year.