[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Heisman Watch

Chavez

:D

Still a lot of football left, but IMO it's pretty clear that while Reggie Bush very well may be the best player in college FB this year, Texas is NOWHERE without Vince Young.

Guess it depends on your criteria.

My vote goes to Vince Young thus far. Reggie Bush is a close 2nd. But Young's ability to actually hit a wide open receiver this year, in edition to his electrifying ability to make the big play, has put him on the top of my list. As to who WILL win... tough to say. Bush is the favorite. Young is close. Leinart is the sentimental pick. A sleeper? Brian Calhoun from Wisconsin. The guy is racking up monster numbers on the ground, and Wisconsin could be in the drivers seat if they win vs Penn State. That is a big if, because it's in Happy Valley, but they finish with Iowa at home, who has had a tough time winning there (even though they won the last meeting in Madison in 2003) The Hawaii game is always a tricky one because you never know what kind of reffing you'll get, as many teams that go there over the years have found out the hard way, most recently Michigan State, in these end of the year battles in Hawaii.

It's very obvious that Young has only played 1 defense in the top 75 all season, so i don't read to deep into his statline.

On the other hand Bush is sharing the offensive stats with Leinart and still putting on a great show, his team will finish number one and he'll be the winner.

Bush is sharing the offensive stats with Leinart and still putting on a great show, his team will finish number one and he'll be the winner.

1113724[/snapback]

AND LenDale White - 853 yds, 13 rushing tds.

I imagine Pete Carroll lies in bed and chuckles to himself every night.

Brian Calhoun from Wisconsin. The guy is racking up monster numbers on the ground, and Wisconsin could be in the drivers seat if they win vs Penn State. That is a big if, because it's in Happy Valley, but they finish with Iowa at home, who has had a tough time winning there (even though they won the last meeting in Madison in 2003) The Hawaii game is always a tricky one because you never know what kind of reffing you'll get, as many teams that go there over the years have found out the hard way, most recently Michigan State, in these end of the year battles in Hawaii.

1113649[/snapback]

I worry that Ron Dayne's lack of success in the NFL will be held against Calhoun.

He hasn't really had any spectacular "wow" moments yet (at least one that resonates on a national level) - Calhoun just seems to quietly and efficiently rack up yards and tds.

But if the Badgers slip by the Nits, he might make it interesting. Iowa is always tough, and the Badgers' sometimes-shaky D worries me in Hawaii, but PSU is obviously the BIG hurdle to clear.

I like Bush...Oh you mean football....I still like Bush.  Vince racks up yards but man he is a turnover machine, because I see them almost even I give the nood to Bush.

1113786[/snapback]

He only has two more turnovers than Lienart.

Vince should win the thing, but with all the hype USC gets, Bush will get it.

I worry that Ron Dayne's lack of success in the NFL will be held against Calhoun.

He hasn't really had any spectacular "wow" moments yet (at least one that resonates on a national level) - Calhoun just seems to quietly and efficiently rack up yards and tds.

But if the Badgers slip by the Nits, he might make it interesting. Iowa is always tough, and the Badgers' sometimes-shaky D worries me in Hawaii, but PSU is obviously the BIG hurdle to clear.

1113809[/snapback]

I really haven't seen him play except for the game against the Gophers. I just happened to look up his stats. Not only is he racking the yards, he has 36 catches for 439 yards and 21 total TDS so far. That definitly makes up for his lower yards per carry. He has to be top 3 or 4.

I of course am rooting for Maroney - He is on the outside looking in. He will have to have some hugh games with multi TDs to be in the running. I would say he is probably behind Calhoun.

Here is another vote for Calhoun....he is currently 4th in rushing yards (less than 100 behind the leader) in the NCAA and 1st in scoring with 21 touchdowns (19 rushing)....he could quite easily finish with 30 touchdowns (only Barry Sanders and Troy Edwards ever finished with 30+)!

Worthy of at least a trip to New York as a finalist for Calhoun. But again, I think Wisconsin will need to win out for that to happen, because the Heisman has become the trophy that goes to teh best player on the best team, or at least a Top 5 team. Which is why you'll for sure see Bush, Leinart, and Young there, and one of those 3 will win it.

He only has two more turnovers than Lienart.

Vince should win the thing, but with all the hype USC gets, Bush will get it.

1113949[/snapback]

Bush had all the early buzz and was huge vs. ND, but he has been outperformed in the last 2 games by Young, so Young has the buzz for now. But the season continues, and Calhoun looks really good too...

Let's not forget the sublime DeAngelo Williams, who has an outside chance at ending his career as the NCAA's all-time leading rusher; the last 3 men to do that won the Heisman.

test :D

test

It's very obvious that Young has only played 1 defense in the top 75 all season, so i don't read to deep into his statline.

On the other hand Bush is sharing the offensive stats with Leinart and still putting on a great show, his team will finish number one and he'll be the winner.

1113724[/snapback]

http://statistics.ncaafootball.com/default...stat/stats2.htm

Actually UT has faced 4 teams that ranking in the top 30 in total defense.

You were almost correct, USC has only faced one team in the top 75 in total defense (Oregon @ 53), USC's remaining victims are ranked 76, 86, 96, 101, 102 & 106 (Arizona St & Washington St are currently tied at 106). The PAC-10 currently has 5 teams ranked 99 or lower in total defense. The lowest ranked big 12 team? A&M at 98.

Man it really sucks when reality gets in the way of idiotic perception.

This a bit of circular reasoning. If the results are being reviewed today, AFTER USC played them, of course they will look bad because USC stomped them. 55 points and 760 yards will 'leave a mark' on any D! Can you see what they were the week before USC played them? That would be better...

And don't forget that UCLA has been stomping folks with their offense too, (early or late, the yards and TDs still add up.) So the Pac-10 will be down in D this year. Heck, in most years, because the QBs around here over the years (Elway, Bledsoe, Aikman, Plummer, Palmer, Harrington, Walters, Leinart, et al) can really sling it to some talented WRs who can catch it. And the RBs and O-lines aren't bad either...

Edited by Coffeeman

I'm a homer, but Brady Quinn's stats are better than Leinert's and if ND had won it would've been his TD scramble that did it.

I'm not playing 'what ifs' with that but rather pointing out his accomplishments, which are as solid as any QB's but very much under the radar - until he torches Miami in the Orange Bowl.

http://statistics.ncaafootball.com/default...stat/stats2.htm

Actually UT has faced 4 teams that ranking in the top 30 in total defense.

You were almost correct, USC has only faced one team in the top 75 in total defense (Oregon @ 53), USC's remaining victims are ranked 76, 86, 96, 101, 102 & 106 (Arizona St & Washington St are currently tied at 106).  The PAC-10 currently has 5 teams ranked 99 or lower in total defense.  The lowest ranked big 12 team?  A&M at 98.

Man it really sucks when reality gets in the way of idiotic perception.

1119599[/snapback]

I guess your the idiot, if its your perception that the Big 12 is stronger from top to bottom then the Pac 10 :D

:priceless:

I guess your the idiot, if its your perception that the Big 12 is stronger from top to bottom then the Pac 10  :D

:priceless:

1122772[/snapback]

You make a ridicules statement. I prove you wrong with facts. So you come back with a completely subjective statement, and decide I am an idiot. Sigh.

This year I believe that the PAC 10 and Big 12 are comparable. I would give a slight nod to the Big 12. The Big 12 does have a better non conference record than the PAC 10. 31 – 5 vs 22 -7. However that was not the discussion. The discussion was about defense. I think that the facts clearly indicate that the Big 12 plays better defense than the PAC 10.

This a bit of circular reasoning.  If the results are being reviewed today, AFTER USC played them, of course they will look bad because USC stomped them.  55 points and 760 yards will 'leave a mark' on any D!  Can you see what they were the week before USC played them?  That would be better...

1122363[/snapback]

Come On. The PAC 10 has FIVE teams that rank 99 or lower in total defense (that is out of 117 Division 1A teams). USC has not even played two of these five teams. These five teams all average giving up 427 or more yards a game. The USC offense averages 600 yards a game. So for the three of the bottom teams that USC has played, USC may have accounted for raising there average yards given up by 25 or 30 yards, but no more. It is simple mathematics.

This year I believe that the PAC 10 and Big 12 are comparable.  I would give a slight nod to the Big 12. 

1123402[/snapback]

:D:D

The Big 12 this year is the worst of the big 5 by MILES and MILEs and MILES and MILES

As a conference they've only played TWO teams in the top 30 all year and are 1-1 in those match ups. You know it's a down year when T.Tech is the 2nd best team :D

Sorry Ronald McDonald but go back to selling Big Macs :D

Are you really that clueless? No sense in responding to this clown anymore. :D

Edited by theeohiostate

The Big 12 this year is the worst of the big 5 by MILES and MILEs and MILES and MILES

That right, I am a clown because I keep pointing out factual errors in your posts. Obviously you have no concern for facts, so it would seem pointless to continue to interrupt your ramblings with facts. However, I find myself unable to stop. The facts are that Big 12 teams have played 4 games against teams that are currently in the top 25, which by the way is exactly the same number of top 25 teams that PAC 10 teams have played (if you count the fact the 2 of them played Notre Dame). 4 games out of some 70 or 80 games hardly seems a reasonable way to compare two conferences, or is that a mathematical concept beyond your grasp?

Also, exactly why is it that you are so positive that Texas Tech is such a joke. Was that not California that Tech beat 45 - 31 in the Holiday bowl? (accumulating almost 600 yards of total offense).

You make ridicules statements, you never have any facts to support your ramblings, then when proven wrong you call people names. Nothing like the true art of conversation