[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little wine help please

Hankk

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing which I think someone touched on, how many people are going to be at this party and will there be more wine? Lawdawg and I along with our wives have been known to go through a few bottles before we even get to the first course.

1152876[/snapback]

There are 5 courses with a wine for each course, plus appetizers with champagne.

I'm not sure about the whole menu. I know that we will be drinking a 1990 Laurent Perrier Rose, a 1995 Dom Perignon and a 1995 Joseph Phelps Insignia.

I still need to try that place out.

1153980[/snapback]

Its the place to go to in Seattle for steak. They keep a very good winelist. I've found some real treasures on their list from time to time: a '93 Leonetti Cab comes to mind.

I was actually about a week after I had the Insignia and we tried the '95 JP Cab. Surprisingly, this was not aging well at all. I thought it couldn't get worse than a hollow taste but the non-existent finish sealed it. I was very surprised to find that from the same vintage the Cab was not holding up as well as the Cab-blend.

I have the menu (4 courses, not 5) but I am missing a couple wines:

Butternut Squash Ravioli with Brown Butter and Sage

Smoked Salmon and Goat Cheese Cornets with Raspberry Beet Salad

Corn “Risotto” with Basil Pesto

Charred Rare Tuna with radish Salad and Soy-Ginger Vinaigrette

1990 Laurent Perrier Rose

1995 Dom Perignon

Halibut with Macadamia Nut Crust, Bok Choy and Spicy Lemongrass-Coconut Emulsion

?????

Sautéed Salmon with Onion -Strewn Grits and Portobello Mushroom-Red Wine Sauce

2001 Bouchard Père et Fils Vosne-Romanée Aux Reignots 1er Cru

Lightly Smoked Duck Galantine, sliced with Herb Crusted Polenta, Assorted Nuts and Marion berry Reduction

??????

Dry Aged Beef Sirloin with Yukon Gold Potato and Red Wine Essence

1995 Joseph Phelps “Insignia”

My firm is having a Thanksgiving lunch today. Turkey with all the fixins. I'm eating like a king.

Its a good day to be a yuppie homo. :D

I have the menu (4 courses, not 5) but I am missing a couple wines:

Butternut Squash Ravioli with Brown Butter and Sage   

Smoked Salmon and Goat Cheese Cornets with Raspberry Beet Salad

Corn “Risotto” with Basil Pesto                         

Charred Rare Tuna with radish Salad and Soy-Ginger Vinaigrette

1990 Laurent Perrier Rose

1995 Dom Perignon

Halibut with Macadamia Nut Crust, Bok Choy and Spicy Lemongrass-Coconut Emulsion

?????

Sautéed Salmon with Onion -Strewn Grits and Portobello Mushroom-Red Wine Sauce       

2001 Bouchard Père et Fils Vosne-Romanée Aux Reignots 1er Cru

Lightly Smoked Duck Galantine, sliced with Herb Crusted Polenta, Assorted Nuts and Marion berry Reduction

??????

Dry Aged Beef Sirloin with Yukon Gold Potato and Red Wine Essence

1995 Joseph Phelps “Insignia”

My firm is having a Thanksgiving lunch today.  Turkey with all the fixins.  I'm eating like a king.

Its a good day to be a yuppie homo.    :D

1155009[/snapback]

Enjoy :D

i'd go with a dry riesling (from alsace or mosel-saar) for the halibut and a pinot noir or malbec for the galantine

1155099[/snapback]

Thats a good looking menu. The matches look to be very well thought out. It definitely appears to have the makings for a nice 5 hour dinner....the way it should be done.

I'd agree with Bier Meister. A riesling, or perhaps a vouvray, would go nicely with the halibut.

Thats a good looking menu.  The matches look to be very well thought out.  It definitely appears to have the makings for a nice 5 hour dinner....the way it should be done.

I'd agree with Bier Meister.  A riesling, or perhaps a vouvray, would go nicely with the halibut.

1155193[/snapback]

What about a Sancerre or even a White Bordeaux? Something different.

What about a Sancerre or even a White Bordeaux? Something different.

1155232[/snapback]

i think the fruit or floral notes from the dry rieslings from those regions are more compatible with the tropical/asian flavors of that dish.

1155240[/snapback]

ooh, i hope twiley has a good comeback! nothing more entertaining than watching two wine snobs argue about which floral notes better accentuate macadamia-crusted halibut :D:D

Good call.

1155248[/snapback]

keep in mind that rieslings from those regions are very different from those made in the states. the aromas are very powerful, and initially, you get a lot of fruit, but they are dry and crisp vs sweet and syrupy.....

edit: i love burgundian wines..... i will typically order their whites when i see them.

Edited by Bier Meister

keep in mind that rieslings from those regions are very different from those made in the states.  the aromas are very powerful, and initially, you get a lot of fruit, but they are dry and crisp vs sweet and syrupy.....

1155260[/snapback]

Good call Bier... I was thinking something like that or a Viognier.