[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wine of the week

Bier Meister

how do want to do it?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. how do want to do it?

• 1. varietal (grape)
    • 2. country
    • 3. region

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I've kinda been avoiding the other thread because you guys are about 4 steps ahead of my untrained palet. But I do enjoy wine almost every day and not the Riunite's of this world. So if I were to get involved with this endeavor, I'd like it to be a learning experience as well as one for enjoyment. For that reason, I chose varietal even though I know that many of the really good wines are blends.

So you may safely discount my vote if it goes against what most of you were thinking in starting this.

I vote again for doing it by varietal.

(I also suggest that it might be interesting for novices to pick up a couple bottles of wine of different varieties made by the same producer so that they can get a feeling for how different grapes taste. Perhaps pick up a few bottles by, say, Gallo of Sonoma or Columbia Crest's Grand Estates for around $10 per bottle (or maybe even Columbia Crest's "Two Vines" series for around $7 bottle). You can pretty much find these wines anywhere. (I think Gallo of Sonoma has a wider variety of wine varietals, so maybe they would be a good place to start).

honestly, i think it's a good way to go....

while i know a little, there is truly so much to learn, that i believe we do want an educational element to this and we are going to keep costs low ($20 or less)...ignore us if we get pompous

So if I were to get involved with this endeavor, I'd like it to be a learning experience as well as one for enjoyment. For that reason, I chose varietal even though I know that many of the really good wines are blends.

So you may safely discount my vote if it goes against what most of you were thinking in starting this.

1158605[/snapback]

Kid, this was my whole idea behind suggesting the idea. I like wine, but I am a novice in really appreciating it. I figured this would be a good way for me to learn about it.

I actually know a fair bit about wine in a general sense. I just can't relate any of that to a specific winery, appellation or vintage. :doah:

Edited by Kid Cid

:D

now it has me thinking....... maybe we should do 2 $10 bottles/week, so we can draw some immediate comparisons.....

1158795[/snapback]

that was what I was hoping we would be doing.

People might find this useful. I have one and it works quite well to keep normal wine in decent drinking shape for several days.

Edited by wiegie

that was what I was hoping we would be doing.

People might find this useful.  I have one and it works quite well to keep normal wine in decent drinking shape for several days.

1158819[/snapback]

i hzve one of those too.... very usefull....

i am used to doing flights of wine. so much fun (ah i miss a city)

a flight of wine consists of 3, 4, 5 + glasses of different wine (typically about 3 oz vs a full glass- 5 oz).

one might be:

- piedmont, italy (where you have 4 different reds from there)

- cabernet sauvignon (1 cal, 1 bordeaux, 1 nw, 1 australian)

- a particular grape from a particular vintner (assending or decending years)

etc

My pallate appreciates the Strawberry Hill varietal.

1159209[/snapback]

that works for me.

I'm actually going to try and follow this a little and see where it leads me. But honestly, I like cheap wine that taste like fruit so I am probably of no value to a wine thread at all.

that works for me.

I'm actually going to try and follow this a little and see where it leads me.  But honestly, I like cheap wine that taste like fruit so I am probably of no value to a wine thread at all.

1159615[/snapback]

i'm sure we will cover some wines that will appeal to you at some point... feel free to lurk or participate....either way np.

that works for me.

I'm actually going to try and follow this a little and see where it leads me.  But honestly, I like cheap wine that taste like fruit so I am probably of no value to a wine thread at all.

1159615[/snapback]

Skippy you may like the Late Havest Reislings, or just Reislings in general. They are pretty fruity. Also some dessert wines are nice and fruity the muscats are very nice. :D

I vote for varietal as well. Someone suggested that we do this on a Monday night, unfortunately Monday's won't work for me due to a standing dinner every week.

If I could pick any night I would go with a Thursday with the exception this week and then I'd go with Wednesday.

Edited by twiley

Are these the wines of the week?

1164584[/snapback]

edit: revised to start with riesling this week.

even though they are lesser wines, i think doing 2 at $10-15 provides a better tasting experience. pinots are pretty inflated right now. there was not a hugh selection in that range (plus i wanted to try to get a decent representation of cal vs nw).

now the estancia pinot i had with my duck last night was pretty good :D

Edited by Bier Meister