[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wine of the week

Bier Meister

how do want to do it?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. how do want to do it?

• 1. varietal (grape)
    • 2. country
    • 3. region

How did KJ make the cut? 

availability, affordability, and a typical caliornian..... 

Say we simply pick a varietal for the week, let everyone go out and try a few at their leisure and report back with their findings? 

At anyrate, if it's OK with y'all, that's how I'm gonna play it.

feel free to do that....  we wanted to do it collectively, as some of this is educational....  so those newer to wine can get an idea of what more experienced palettes are drawing from misc wines.  we aslo want decent representations of the particular varietal..... after we go through the basic, we'll start branching off.

1166757[/snapback]

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did KJ make the cut?  What if we loosened up the format?  Say we simply pick a varietal for the week, let everyone go out and try a few at their leisure and report back with their findings?  This way we'd get a broader range of input.  The downside, of course, is that we wont come to a consensus on any specific wines, but we will learn about a bunch of different ones.

At anyrate, if it's OK with y'all, that's how I'm gonna play it.

1166757[/snapback]

I see your point. Quite a few people aren't that familar with wine but want to be so we figured the first 9 weeks or so could be more educational. We'll get into more complex tastings as the weeks/years go by. :D

because i'm i a remote area, i figured that whatever i found would be avilable for you guys as well.  twil, if you want to find another reasonably priced dry riesling (german or alsacian) go for it.

1170260[/snapback]

I couldn't find the Kessler either. I went to 4 different wine shops yesterday including the largest in Seattle. Instead, I picked up an 02 Dr. Loosen and I may pick up a Northwest Riesling instead of the KJ. If I can find one, an Okanagan might do nicely.

sattui does a dry and an off-dry...... both are quite sweet.

1170695[/snapback]

Okay, time for a dumb question. When you say dry vs off-dry does that mean not so sweet vs sweet?

I played around with two Firestone Vineyards Rieslings yesterday, (they were the only Rieslings my ghetto store had), the dry, while okay, seemed much less sweet than the off-dry. My two buddies both thought that the off-sweet bottle was much better as did I.

BTW - these two bottles were on sale for $7.99 and $8.99.

Okay, time for a dumb question.  When you say dry vs off-dry does that mean not so sweet vs sweet?

I played around with two Firestone Vineyards Rieslings yesterday, (they were the only Rieslings my ghetto store had), the dry, while okay, seemed much less sweet than the off-dry.  My two buddies both thought that the off-sweet bottle was much better as did I.

BTW - these two bottles were on sale for $7.99 and $8.99.

1171112[/snapback]

With an off-dry wine you'll be able to pick up a hint of sweetness. Meaning the wines residual sugar is barely noticeable.

Now, I'm sure you're asking yourself Khloe, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian is residual sugar?

Residual sugar is the unfermented sugar found in the finished wine. Residual sugar is usually desired in dessert wines or sweeter whites.

Edited by twiley

As those who are, or have been, in the industry know/s....hollidays suck. i will not be very availible throughout the weekend. i'll ask twil and sld to pick up my slack..... i only request that since i have now picked up 4 bottle (2 pinot, 2 riesling), that we try to at least stay with the KJ. i'll look for posts on what the other might be. perhaps those who were able to find the August Kesseler can do that comparison with me (so they don't have to get another bottle as well), and the rest can do the other 2 bottles... so everyone will do the KJ, and then we have several doing the other????? i am willing to get the third so i can participate in all 3. thanks and have a good turkey day :D

With an off-dry wine you'll be able to pick up a hint of sweetness. Meaning the wines residual sugar is barely noticeable.

Now, I'm sure you're asking yourself Khloe, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian is residual sugar?

Residual sugar is the unfermented sugar found in the finished wine. Residual sugar is usually desired in dessert wines or sweeter whites.

1171366[/snapback]

It should be noted that certain wines, including Riesling and to a much larger extent, Gewurtztraminer can often fool your palate into thinking they are sweeter than they actually are. If you think about properties sweet liquids have, they are often somewhat viscous and fruity. Well these wines definately have the fruit and often have high levels of glycerin which gives them a rather viscous texture. Thus they remind your palate of syrup which it equates with sweetness. Thus, even if these wines are technically bone dry, they might not seems so.

Also, a wine can have trace amounts of residual sugar and still be classified as dry (I forget exactly how much).

FWIW, sec and demi-sec mean the same thing with moulleux being totally sweet. You'll typically find these distinctions in reference to French wines from the Loire Valley. The Champagne equivelant is Brut Zero or Extra Brut(absolutely no sugar, which is very uncommon and frankly not very good), Brut (almost no sugar which is much more common and tastes quite dry), Extra Dry (which is oddly less dry than Brut), Demi-Sec, and Cremant.

I couldn't play along this week.  I am stuck at work until at least 2am.  I am going to pick up the suggested wine and give it a try but that probably won't happen until Thursday.

1198091[/snapback]

do yourself a favor and only buy the Napa Ridge

I was a single parent last night and was uinable to partake! Sounds like a good time. I was able to try the Duck Pond and found it a little to Ducky (earthen or barn yard) initially; it evolved as I drank through .5 the bottle... but didn't get a whole lot better. I hope for better participation int he next few weeks!

looks like my next days off are the 17th and 18th.... next sat/sun. you guys have to coordinate the pinot grigios/gris. post the wines, i'll hav eto pick them up and drink them on my own... and then compare them to your reviews.

well.... hit the store with the largest selection and could not find any of the wines mentioned.... i ended up getting:

- ruffino lumina- 04

- chateau ste michelle- 04

both were in our price range.

edit: i guess i need to ask if you guys want to do it tonight or tomorrow, and at what time?

Edited by Bier Meister

:D

making marsala and risotto w/ portobellos tonight..... i still have the pinot noir as well.... we shall see what pairs well with what :D

if i'm going to guess..... the pinot noir will go well with the risotto and neither will shine with the marsala (maybe a nod to the pinot noir due to the earthiness of the mushrooms). it's just so sweet..... maybe a beaujolais or sangiovese.

btw- picked up the duboef nouveau today....