[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thanksgiving

Deacon Bill

I love Thanksgiving. All my family gets together and eat too much, talk too much, and most of us drink too much. But most of all we laugh and share memories of times spent together. We'll probably have around 30 people showing up. So what will you be having for Thanksgiving?

I bought a 21 lb. Butterball turkey, and a 10 lb. spiral sliced honey glazed ham. I think I'll wear sweat pants that day and avoid the whole belt adjusting situation. We'll have 2 types of stuffing, moist (in the turkey) with sausage, and dry, for those that are squeamish about bacteria (wussies). 7 layer salad, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy (duh), cheesy potatoes, sweet potato casserole, corn, flaky biscuits, cranberry sauce, followed by pumpkin pie, pumpkin roll, Reese Cup pie, and a bevy of ice cream choices. My focus will probably be Crown Royal. :doah:

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving! Yea, even you zmanzzzz. Peace.

I don't know what we're having his year -- but I remember one a bunch of years back, like it was yesterday ...

One thanksgiving, we'd planned to spend the long weekend at family in MA, so we had let the fridge/cupboards get a bit low and prepped for the trip, only to get nailed with a storm in Vermont that shut things down the night before and morning of Thanksgiving. Couldn't travel the 4 hours to the turkey, nothing open to get some food, had to make do that day with what was in the house ...

Had our most memorable thanksgiving dinner ever -- both girls regail folks with this story every year ...

Appetizers: Spray Cheese on Ritz (styling)

Veggies: Candy Corn (thankfully, Halloween is close to TGiving and it never goes bad)

Starch: Instant Mashies (good survival food)

Entree: Fried Spam (Gado bless spam!)

Beverage: Sprite and Tang (oh yeah, the good stuff)

Yep, I love stuffing and turkey and true (skinless) mashies and ice cold milk and apple pie and all the rest -- can't wait -- but the "lets make the best of this" meal which became a life lesson in humor in awkward situations for my girls was absolutely the best. :D

Nothing too fancy in the Squeegiebo household.

Turkey (I too got a 21-lb. Butterball!)

Ham

Stuffing - also 2 kinds - the normal, delicious stuffing with sausage and all the seasonings cooked in the turkey, and a nasty, bland stuffing cooked outside the turkey because my wuss brother doesn't eat anything with "flavor crystals" in it (e.g., onions, celery, etc).

Mashed potatoes

Green bean casserole

Corn

Rolls

And lots and lots of gravy. :drool:

For dessert: my mom's homemade apple pie, a pumpkin pie, and a chocolate pudding pie.

I :heart: Thanksgiving. And this year we're having it at my new house, so I get to stay at home and relax all day instead of running around to relatives' houses. But my mom is still going to cook it. Best of both worlds.

Two 10 lb turkeys--one will be smoked on the BGE, one is deep fried. Yum.

--mashed potatoes and gravy--a must!

--my wife makes a sweet potatoe concoction with cinnamon and grade b maple syrup, butter. It's so good it makes me cry.

--I'm making some cheddar and herb potatoe au gratin this year. (I like potatoes).

--carrots cooked in a foil pouch with butter, thyme, white wine, salt, pepper

--biscuits

--my wife will make a salad and some green vegetable that I won't touch

--my mother brings over stuffing

--my brother and his wife bring the desserts (usu a pumpkin pie and one other)

FRESH turkey. Worth the extra money.

The only unusual things my family adds to the traditional menu are a baked mac & cheese made with sharp cheddar and a very large variety of pies. It is not unusual for my mom to make 15+ pies. I think her record is 23 or something like that. My favorite is coconut cream.

My contributionto the family Thanksgiving? A fried turkey (about 15 lbs. - hard to get anything bigger completely cooked) and a batch of green rice. Always at my parents. There'll be ham, cornbread dresing, noodles, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, giblet gravy, etc.

Appetizers and desserts rule, as well. My sister makes a kick-ass crab dip kinda thing and my aunt's deviled eggs are legendary. As for the Banana Split Cake, you'd have to taste it to understand. :D

I bought a 21 lb. Butterball turkey, and a 10 lb. spiral sliced honey glazed ham. I think I'll wear sweat pants that day and avoid the whole belt adjusting situation. We'll have 2 types of stuffing, moist (in the turkey) with sausage, and dry, for those that are squeamish about bacteria (wussies). 7 layer salad, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy (duh), cheesy potatoes, sweet potato casserole, corn, flaky biscuits, cranberry sauce, followed by pumpkin pie, pumpkin roll, Reese Cup pie, and a bevy of ice cream choices .My focus will probably be Crown Royal.  :doah:

1159692[/snapback]

I eat that green whip cream pistachio fruit salad $hit and chocalate pie, otherwise that is exactly what I'll be having. With one or two glasses of sweet tea with dinner since my grandmother does not allow alcohol at the dinner table. I've got my electric razor and two .750s of Crown packed. I'll throw some clothes in the bag Wednesday night.