[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Smoked Turkey Breast

Dbaxx

Turkey Breast

This is 6.5# breast smoked for 3.5 hours (internal temp of 170) in my Cookshack smoker. I used 1 oz. of hickory and 1 oz. of apple wood. Comes out fantastic. I am doing about 25 Pteradactyl Turkey legs for the gang at work the day before Thanksgiving. The kind you get at the Renessance (sp?) festivals....fantastic!

Edited by Dbaxx

Looks quite good.

Do you brine the bird prior to smoking?  It really adds to making it a moist bird.

1159809[/snapback]

I didn't brine this one...but here is the recipe for my brine I got from a dude named Smokin' Okie off the Cookshack website:

Smokin’ Okie’s Holiday Turkey Brine:

1 gal. water

1 c. coarse kosher salt

¾ c. soy sauce

½ c. white sugar

½ c. brown sugar

½ c. honey

½ c. apple cider vinegar

4 Tbsp. black pepper

3 - 4 Tbsp. chopped garlic

1 tsp. Allspice

1 oz. Morton’s Tenderquick (optional)

Measurements “How much is an Ounce?”

2 tablespoons = ounce

6 teaspoons = ounce

Heat water/salt/sugars to rolling boil. Take off burner, add other ingredients. Allow mixture to cool before placing meat into solution Place 10 - 12 lb. turkey in non-reactive container and cover with brine. Refrigerate for minimum of 24 hours, preferably 48 hours. Load smoker’s wood box with 4 oz. hickory wood. Remove turkey from the refrigerator and discard brine. Rinse turkey three times, pat dry and lightly rub skin with mayonnaise. Apply light coating of Cookshack Spicy Chicken Rub. Place turkey in smoker and smoke cook at 200 degrees F for one hour per lb. I like cherry or apple wood for my turkey. Smoke until internal temperature of breast reaches 160 to 165. Remove from smoker and allow to sit for 30 minutes before slicing.

Note: About the “optional” Tenderquick. If you smoke a turkey at temperatures of 180º to 225º F., you might want to consider using the Tenderquick. The turkey will be spending a lot of time in the DANGER ZONE of 40º to 140º, so just be aware of this. If in doubt, use the Tenderquick.

You can use this for your bird even if your not going to smoke it...by far the best I've used over the years.

Turkey Breast

This is 6.5# breast smoked for 3.5 hours (internal temp of 170) in my Cookshack smoker.  I used 1 oz. of hickory and 1 oz. of apple wood.  Comes out fantastic.  I am doing about 25 Pteradactyl Turkey legs for the gang at work the day before Thanksgiving.  The kind you get at the Renessance (sp?) festivals....fantastic!

1159789[/snapback]

that looks delicious.I've never tried a turkey(or breast for that matter)in my smoker.At what temp.did you smoke this?thanks

that looks delicious.I've never tried a turkey(or breast for that matter)in my smoker.At what temp.did you smoke this?thanks

1160629[/snapback]

The cookshack is an electric smoker...set the temp at 250 and let her rip. Let sit, foiled, for about 30 minutes and is as juicy as it gets.