[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Twiley's Weekly Wine Picks

twiley

Well, I just got back from my weekly venture to the wine shops so I thought I would share some wines with you. I'll start with some of my favorites buys today and then move into some of my value picks. This weeks descriptions are from WS because I've got a party to attend to in about 30 mins so time is limited.

Belle Glos

Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast Taylor Lane Vineyard 2002 Price: $50

Complex, if on a modest scale, with ripe cherry, cranberry, fresh earth and cedary oak with the right amount of acidity to liven everything up.

Pavillon Blanc du Château Margaux Score: 86

Margaux 2000 Price: $60

This has stylish aromas of candied lemon rind. Full-bodied, with candied lemons and good length.

ARGYLE CHARDONNAY WILLAMETTE VALLEY 2002

Score: 91 points

Price: $13

Bright and tangy. Generous with its creamy grapefruit, peach and pear flavors spilling through the long, beautifully formed finish.

HOUSE WINE

Price: $11.99

It is a Columbia Valley red based on Bordeaux varieties. Classy wine, this shows lots of dark fruit notes. Big, deep in color and showing a nice nose of the Cabernet...oak is not a major part of this wine. And its ten buck price tag (before the case discount) means you don't have to take out a second mortgage on your house to buy a box of this. Charles made one vintage of Pinot Noir from grapes grown by the Archery Summit folks. It's a lovely, mildly earthy Pinot...perfect for mushroom dishes such as a wild mushroom risotto or a stew with dried porcini. The wine is medium-light bodied and full of Pinot Noir fruit.

Winery: d'Arenberg Score: 90

Wine: Shiraz McLaren Vale The Footbolt Old Vine 2001 Smart Buys

Price: $18

Bright and jazzy, with delicious blackberry and cherry and subtle touches of anise and pepper weaving through the lively, long finish.

Enjoy! :D

I don't know where to post this so I'll start here. sorry if I'm thread hijacking...

What do you think of the Lazy Creek Vineyards? My buddy (the beer and wine buyer for a local grocery store chain) suggested I buy this to take to Detroit (for my aborted date). So now I'm stuck with this Anderson Valley Pinot Noir and I know nothing about wines...thanks.

I don't know where to post this so I'll start here. sorry if I'm thread hijacking...

What do you think of the Lazy Creek Vineyards? My buddy (the beer and wine buyer for a local grocery store chain) suggested I buy this to take to Detroit (for my aborted date). So now I'm stuck with this Anderson Valley Pinot Noir and I know nothing about wines...thanks.

1160739[/snapback]

Anderson Valley is a great area not only for wine but also for vacationing.

The Lazy Creek Vineyards are known for their Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer and Pinot Noir. I've never personally tried them but you need to drink it now because it will only be good for another year or so.

Isn't it though? I swear by that stuff when people ask me for an inexpensive, tasty red. :D

1166889[/snapback]

WA definately has it going on. IMO the most of the best Syrah and Bordeaux Varietals in the US are coming from there.