[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Grilling a turkey

Big Mac Bears

honestly, i've never grilled a turkey..... i'm thinking you'd be better off smoking it.....

if it's thawed, i could see breaking it down and grilling the ind. parts

if so, just like grilling chicken.... just be carefull with the heat. don't want to go too high were you burn the outside and inside is raw.

if you really want to GRILL a turkey , you need to find a private room , put the turkey in the corner , get a really hot bulb and lamp , point the lamp in the turkey's face and ask alot of hard questions for hours ... :D

on a serious note , i never had grilled turkey but after having one deep fried ( in a hot oil cooker ) i may never have it any other way ...did you ever try deep frying one ?

I am actually going to smoke my Turkey with Applewood for about 3 hours at about 200 degrees. I will be brining it overnight then giving it a good rubdown with a paste that I'll whip up... rosemary, oregano, Hawiian sea salt, olive oil, peper etc... While smoking it will have a large can of beer shoved up its cavity to provide moisture. I'll then take the turkey out and grill it like you would beer butt chicken for about an hour over medium heat. I'll then put her in the oven, 350, until she reaches 175-180 degrees; let rest for 30 minutes and serve. mmmmmmmmmmm....

I am actually going to smoke my Turkey with Applewood for about 3 hours at about 200 degrees. I will be brining it overnight then giving it a good rubdown with a paste that I'll whip up... rosemary, oregano, Hawiian sea salt, olive oil, peper etc... While smoking it will have a large can of beer shoved up its cavity to provide moisture. I'll then take the turkey out and grill it like you would beer butt chicken for about an hour over medium heat. I'll then put her in the oven, 350, until she reaches 175-180 degrees; let rest for 30 minutes and serve. mmmmmmmmmmm....

1166294[/snapback]

We're thinking along the same lines. I'll be planking mine on Applewood but stuffing it with a apple & sausage stuffing and then adding a glaze to it towards the end of cooking. I'll be curious to hear if the smoke penetrates well. I tried smoking a turkey last year but with low heat, I was looking at about an hour / lb to get decent penetration. Smoking at a higher heat wasn't doing it. I'm hoping the planks will allow me to cook at a little higher heat and I can move turkey and planks to the oven to finish.

We're thinking along the same lines.  I'll be planking mine on Applewood but stuffing it with a apple & sausage stuffing and then adding a glaze to it towards the end of cooking.  I'll be curious to hear if the smoke penetrates well.  I tried smoking a turkey last year but with low heat, I was looking at about an hour / lb to get decent penetration.  Smoking at a higher heat wasn't doing it.  I'm hoping the planks will allow me to cook at a little higher heat and I can move turkey and planks to the oven to finish.

1166345[/snapback]

Do you pre cook your stuffing? If I don't I find that the turkey gets a little dry trying to reach 180... if I don't precook.

Do you pre cook your stuffing? If I don't I find that the turkey gets a little dry trying to reach 180... if I don't precook.

1166370[/snapback]

I don't completely cook it but I get the sausage cooked and add plenty of liquid to the stuffing. The excess liquid from the stuffing will dry out but it helps against the turkey getting dry.

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

1166370[/snapback]

cook your stuffing at least 50-66%. can have a lot of health issues when you go from raw.