[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A Riesling Primer

detlef

The Riesling grape is the most noble grape of Germany. Muller Thurgau, Scheurbe, and other grapes make up many of Germany's lesser wines (and even a few high end bottlings), but over there, Riesling is king. I'll start with how the Germans label Riesling.

Besides mentioning the specific region or vineyard, all bottles are given a quality level that corresponds to the sugar level at harvest. Depending on the house style, this typically, but not always also equates to the resulting sugar level of the wine. The lowest level is abbreviated as QBA. The next levels up are Kabinet, Spatlese, Auslese, Beerenauslese, and Trokenbeerenauslese. Another style, Eiswein (which is made from grapes that have frozen on the vine) is also made. The last three are enormously concentrate and sweet and often prohibitively expensive. The others, while also sweet are more suited with standard fare rather than dessert.

The german style, in general, is to add back some unfermented juice after the wine has finished fermenting which leads to wines with some residual sugar and correspondingly low alcohol levels (about 8-10% as opposed to 12-15% found in most wines).

Despite their sweetness, German wines typically have very high acidity which often makes up for that sweetness and makes them a great match with food.

Probably next on the list is Alsace in NE France. Most of the grapes grown there are German because of the fact that it was a part of Germany for years. The biggest difference between wines from here and those of Germany is the fact that they ferment them dry and thus end up with higher levels of alc (often pushing 14%). These wines are often much heavier as a result but can be a great way for someone who doesn't like sweet wines to enjoy the grape.

Sorry, I'll finish later. Gotta go

Thanks for the write-up...

Idaho has a winery that makes a good Johannesburg Reisling. Is this an altogether different grape, or simply a different way cook up the juice??

If that makes sense....

BTW, I know little to nothing about whites, and look foward to the tastings...

1166166[/snapback]

johannesburg riesling is the "purest" grape :D region, and when it is picked often deterines the sweetness.. you will hear the term "late harvest" wines... grapes are picked late and sometimes they intentionally try to have the grape contract botrytis..... these will be much more sweet... as are eisweins

The Riesling grape is the most noble grape of Germany.  Muller Thurgau, Scheurbe, and other grapes make up many of Germany's lesser wines (and even a few high end bottlings), but over there, Riesling is king.  I'll start with how the Germans label Riesling.

Besides mentioning the specific region or vineyard, all bottles are given a quality level that corresponds to the sugar level at harvest.  Depending on the house style, this typically, but not always also equates to the resulting sugar level of the wine.  The lowest level is abbreviated as QBA.  The next levels up are Kabinet, Spatlese, Auslese, Beerenauslese, and Trokenbeerenauslese.  Another style, Eiswein (which is made from grapes that have frozen on the vine) is also made.  The last three are enormously concentrate and sweet and often prohibitively expensive.  The others, while also sweet are more suited with standard fare rather than dessert.

The german style, in general, is to add back some unfermented juice after the wine has finished fermenting which leads to wines with some residual sugar and correspondingly low alcohol levels (about 8-10% as opposed to 12-15% found in most wines).

Despite their sweetness, German wines typically have very high acidity which often makes up for that sweetness and makes them a great match with food.

Probably next on the list is Alsace in NE France.  Most of the grapes grown there are German because of the fact that it was a part of Germany for years.  The biggest difference between wines from here and those of Germany is the fact that they ferment them dry and thus end up with higher levels of alc (often pushing 14%).  These wines are often much heavier as a result but can be a great way for someone who doesn't like sweet wines to enjoy the grape. 

Sorry, I'll finish later.  Gotta go

1165809[/snapback]

I've been on a Piesporter kick lately. Will pick up a bottle for Thanksgiving. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the write-up...

Idaho has a winery that makes a good Johannesburg Reisling. Is this an altogether different grape, or simply a different way cook up the juice??

If that makes sense....

BTW, I know little to nothing about whites, and look foward to the tastings...

1166166[/snapback]

Johannesburg Riesling is simply a variety of Riesling. It's also know as either white or grey Rielsing. Honestly, I forget which. Really, it's more a marketing name than anything else and is not used outside the US.

OK, here's my tasting notes on a Rielsing I had the other day:

1999 Milz Estate QBA (estimated retail $11-$12)

This wine showed just a touch of the petroleum (oddly pleasant BTW) aromas that can be found in older Riesling. My guess is that they'd start showing up more in another few years. By and large, it was a very clean and correct wine. Classic peach and pear fruit, great texture, and good acidity. Certainly it had residual sugar but it was rather light.

It was part of an Asian food and wine pairing that I did for the Duke Business School and we served a salad of Hanging Roast Pork, Asian Pears, and Watercress tossed in ginger vinaigrette. The combination worked well as pork may be the single best thing to eat with riesling and the pears complimented the wine's flavors.