[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thanksgiving Wines?

KICK A$$ BLASTER

I was wondering what wines everyone was bringing to their Thanksgiving dinners. My Father-in-Law will have some(four cases) of Beaujolais. But I wanted  to bring a red that would be the showstopper of the evening...

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance...

1166182[/snapback]

If you have to match to a turkey dinner, Pinot is the only red to take IMO. If you're looking for a wine to drink before dinner, you have a lot more possibilities.

A split of 95 Salon to start

A few bottles of Peter Michael La Carriere 02

A bottle of Gunderloch Jean Baptiste Kabinett Reisling 01

1 bottle 99 Blankiet, for the wife who hates white wine

For the dessert course a 97 Dolce

I'll probably start drinking around 6:30 A.M. when I get up to start cookin'

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

There are actually plenty of good turkey wines besides Pinot. One often overlooked option is a Crianza level Rioja (Tempranillo from spain). In fact, you could slip many into a blind tasting of pinots and nobody would be the wiser. They're also usually great values. Pretty good ones on the cheap side of $10 and verrry tasty ones on the other side.

Grenache based wines like Cotes du Rhone tend to work also. Ones with a lot of Syrah or Mourvedre in the blend can be a little big but those are rather uncommon. Vaqueyras (sp?), Gigondas, and Lirac are a few appelations that are primarily or entirely grenache. Moving up the fanciness ladder, Chateau Neuf du Pape is a fine choice provided it's not one of the big boys like Beaucastel. Aussie Grenache can be a little big but not always.

Of course, if you're not a fan of Beaujolais Nouveau, you can always go with a normally fermented one. They're a bit bigger and don't smell like bananas. Look for Fleurie, Morgon, Moulin a Vent, and... oh sht, I forgot the other villages.

Your Chianti can be a nice match, old school versions often share the weight, high acidity and cherry fruits found in pinots and tend to work with the same foods.

Remember the roasted nature of the bird allow a bigger wine than typically works with poultry.

At this point, I'm not sure what we'll be bringing.