[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does anybody by beef by the 1/4 or 1/2?

Outshined

Great forum, I love food and I will be checking in here to get some of your techniques on cooking meat. I buy a ¼ beef every spring for the summer cookouts. I usually get about 50lbs of hamburger and by this time of year I have about 15lbs of burger left. I also have some roasts that are left for fall cooking.

Does anybody buy beef by the ¼ or ½?

I want to compare beef prices with other people in the states here if you buy a ¼ or 1/2. I don’t have my price list with me at work, but I can try and remember what it was. (I will edit it later when I get home if I can find my price list)

Whats your total price per ¼

What was the weight dressed

What was the weight after cuts

What was the butcher fee.

Overall, were you satisfied with the cuts, taste and anything else?

I think my last ¼ was $229

Dressed weight was 180lbs

Weight after cuts was 135 lbs

Butcher fee was $79

Those numbers might be close, but I think it came out to $2.29/lb

I'm in mid-Missouri and raise my own beef. $2.29 a pound for good beef is probably a fair price for the consumer. The key is GOOD beef. The closer to the true producer (meaning the farmer who fed the critter) the closer you can get to making sure you have a good animal. I don't really want to scare anyone off from beef because it is so darn good...but I would never buy a beef from a stockyard or slaughterhouse type place EVER.

I typically sell my beefs to friends for whatever the market price is the day they order one. But you're still waaaaaay ahead buying by the quarter/half/ or whole beef than paying grocerystore prices.

I'm in mid-Missouri and raise my own beef.  $2.29 a pound for good beef is probably a fair price for the consumer.  The key is GOOD beef. The closer to the true producer (meaning the farmer who fed the critter) the closer you can get to making sure you have a good animal.  I don't really want to scare anyone off from beef because it is so darn good...but I would never buy a beef from a stockyard or slaughterhouse type place EVER.

I typically sell my beefs to friends for whatever the market price is the day they order one.  But you're still waaaaaay ahead buying by the quarter/half/ or whole beef than paying grocerystore prices.

1170586[/snapback]

Yeah - My brothers friend raises 15-20 of them a year for friends, family and some side cash and the are butchered at the local meat locker. They get fed really good. I know some of it is corn and what ever else ihe feeds it, it sure is heck tastes good. The hamburger is awesome too. I will never ever buy store meat again

Edited by Outshined

I'm in mid-Missouri and raise my own beef.  $2.29 a pound for good beef is probably a fair price for the consumer.  The key is GOOD beef. The closer to the true producer (meaning the farmer who fed the critter) the closer you can get to making sure you have a good animal.  I don't really want to scare anyone off from beef because it is so darn good...but I would never buy a beef from a stockyard or slaughterhouse type place EVER.

I typically sell my beefs to friends for whatever the market price is the day they order one.  But you're still waaaaaay ahead buying by the quarter/half/ or whole beef than paying grocerystore prices.

1170586[/snapback]

We are going to start with 8 to 10 animals in the spring. I have a lot of fence to fix in the next several months though, and I hate fixing fence.