[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For Those Who Fry Turkey

Dutch Oven

Here's a safety tip:

If you have a boil over, you could blow yourself up.

One way to avoid this is to put your turkey in the fryer pot. Fill with water until turkey is covered. Remove the turkey and mark the water level. That's about where you should fill your fryer pot with oil, keeping in mind that oil expands as it is heated.

Buy a thermometer. With a 12 lb bird, check the internal temp of your bird after about 40 minutes. It should be around 160-170 degrees. When it hits that temp, it's time for the bird to come out. Tent it with tin foil and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. Internal temp will continue to rise and juices will redistribute. Oh, and check the internal temp in the deepest part of the breast, making sure you don't hit bone with the thermometer.

A good rule of thumb is about 3 minutes per pound, provided you maintain oil temp at 350 degrees.  I always add a few minutes beyond this.  This year I've got a 10 lb turkey.  I'll fry it for about 35 minutes.

1167854[/snapback]

good info here..and you'll have better results in my experience with a bird that is not real big.I would'nt go over 14-15 lbs. myself.

While frying turkeys for my customers, I was always very careful to make sure their birds were fully cooked, so I'd go four minutes per pound at 350 degrees.

You can probably get away with a little less time - maybe 3 1/2 minutes per pound. The hardest part to get done is actually the thighs. Cut a little slit inside the legs on the thighs. Lets the oil in.

And I wouldn't try to fry anything over 15 pounds. If you leave a turkey in 350 degree oil over an hour, it tends to get a little crispy on the outside.

Edited by Big F'n Dave

I've been fryin' birds for 10 years now and everything Big dave says is absolutely right-on. Make sure you set your fryer up someplace safe!!! Be prepared for oil spills/drippings. And letting the bird rest for 15 minutes after taking it out is GREAT advice.

This is a GREAT forum. Thanks Powers That Be!! :D

And I wouldn't try to fry anything over 15 pounds. If you leave a turkey in 350 degree oil over an hour, it tends to get a little crispy on the outside.

1169824[/snapback]

I have done a 20 lb'er.....No Big F'n Problem! Very tasty!