[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

darin3's official shot thread

darin3

Food and Beverage Forum, eh? Well, everyone knows about my favorite food staple: pizza. :D So no need to contribute there. Beverage? Well you metros :D have wine covered, so I thought I'd start off a tangent us "other guys" could follow and contribute to.

SHOTS!

I went to - and somehow graduated from - one of the premier "party schools" in our great nation, UC Santa Barbara. While there, let's just say I did my share of drinking (still do, from time to time). I frequented a bar that had Dollar Drink Night, and while there, discovered many incredibly tasty - and some downright lethal - shots. After college, I went on to exploring Orange County, California's bar/club scene, and got to know even more twists on shot-making. I moved up to the Bay Area several years ago, and the library of shots grew in my head after hanging out at a dive bar several nights a week. So much so that I was hired as a bartender there, where I showed off my shot-making prowess. I've since moved back to Orange County, and discovered yet another dive bar where the shots fly like bullets (The Huddle, for those of you that haven't heard). So I have a few to discuss... feel free to add commentary, your own recipes, etc.

Let 'em rip!

:D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Death

Learned this one while at UCSB. This bartender at Dollar Drink Night at world-famous Alex's Bar and Cantina claimed to have accidentally created it while bartending drunk one night. Customer came up to him asking for a Kamikaze and an Alabama Slammer. So he proceeded to make the drinks, but forgot to pour out the Kami before making the Slammer in the same tumbler. The result was a double-shot, obviously, of what he dubbed "Red Death". He ended up admitting his error, and splitting the double shot with the customer, who claimed it tasted awesome - like Hawaiian Punch. Sure enough, it does.

So essentially, for those seasoned bartenders/drink mixers out there, this should be easy: make a Kamikaze on top of an Alabama Slammer.

1/2 ounce Southern Comfort

1/2 ounce triple sec - this is in a Kami too, just go with 1/2 ounce total

1/2 ounce sloe gin

1/2 ounce Amaretto

splash or 2 of orange juice

1/2 ounce vodka - the Kami portion

1/2 ounce lime juice - Kami

Mix all in tumbler with ice and serve. It literally tastes like Hawaiian Punch. Can be served on ice as a drink or as a double shot, or just a single shot. It packs a punch. Beware.

:D

Edited by darin3

Chocolate Cake

Don't let the foo-foo-ness of these fool you. These are quality shots that dudes and girlies can share and enjoy alike. This one was learned up in the Bay Area. Good stuff, especially for those that like Vodka.

3/4 ounce Vodka (premium is better)

1/4 ounce Frangelico liqueur

1 slice lemon

Powdered or regular sugar

Pour small amount of Frangelico in bottom of shot glass, top with the vodka. You can coat the rim of the shot glass with lemon and sprinkle the sugar on the rim, or what I prefer, coat the lemon with sugar and suck the sugary lemon after taking the shot.

:D This one is a panty-remover.

Tom Looks Good

Healthy pour of Vodka

Healthy pour of Rum

Healthy pour of Everclear

Hawaiian Punch concentrate (to taste)

Orange Juice (to taste)

Pineapple Juice (to taste)

7up

garnish with lemons and limes

Serve chilled. Beware: stains clothes and carpets when people puke AND also infuriates girls boyfriend because he has to hold her head while she pukes. :D (a fellow huddler can attest to having to go through this with then girlfriend, now wife) :D

Edited by twiley

Tom Looks Good

Healthy pour of Vodka

Healthy pour of Rum

Healthy pour of Everclear

Hawaiian Punch concentrate (to taste)

Orange Juice (to taste)

Pineapple Juice (to taste)

7up

garnish with lemons and limes

Serve chilled. Beware: stains clothes and carpets when people puke AND also infuriates girls boyfriend because he has to hold her head while she pukes.  :D (a fellow huddler can attest to having to go through this with then girlfriend, now wife) :D

1178352[/snapback]

I was wondering if you were going to post that or the Prarie Wildfire. Each have contributed to me holding my wife's hair while she puked.

I was wondering if you were going to post that or the Prarie Wildfire.  Each have contributed to me holding my wife's hair while she puked.

1178413[/snapback]

Prairie Wildfire

Choose the nastiest white tequila possible

Add a few dashes of hot sauce

Tell girl it's a fruity shot and not to worry

Watch girl almost puke

Laugh

Ten years later have said girls husband continuously buy shots (10-15 shots and were not talking fruity....straight up hardcore booze) for you as payback

Go down in history as THE shot king

Puke alot

Go through embarassing moment in airport terminal :D

Puke more

Fly home.

Edited by twiley

Liquid Cocaine

Jager, 151, Goldschlager

The afterburner

Aftershock schnapps and 151

The Flaming Dr. Pepper

Amaretto

Light drink

drop into pint of beer

Chug

The red headed sluuuuuuuuuuuuutttttt

Peach Schnapps

Jager

Cranberry juice

Unknown

1 oz. Chambord

1 oz. Malibu

Splash of sweet and sour mix

Splash of pineapple

1/2 oz Blue Curacao

Ha! A bunch of years ago, I was at Boston's Bull and Finch (I think that;s right) , which is the pub that purportedly was the inspiration for the CHEERS! sitcom, a generally accepted and well known monicker for the place in Boston. As a result, it is no longer the neighborhood place it once was, but more of a tourist trap. The night I was there, groups of people would yell "Norm!" whenever a hefty customer walked in. So, in keeping with the spirit of the place, I called the bartender "Sammy". This guy got livid. It was just in fun, but he didn't see any humor in it at all. So, I let it go without further comment.

Later, the friend I'm with and I ask for a shot of scotch. "Sammy" says they don't have shot glasses, and he's very happy to inform us of this fact. He goes on to say, "The only way to get a shot glass here is to buy one.", from this hokey souvineer stand they have. Now, I'm pissed. I go to this stand, and buy 8 shot glasses. Returning to the bar, I recruit 6 more people, and order 8 ***s. I'm sure the filter will change the name of the shot... think oral sex. Having been an ex-bartender, I know these things are a royal PITA to clean. The "recipe" is voldka, Kaluha and Bailey's, all layered, topped off and sealed with whipped cream. You have to get your mouth around the whole top of the shot glass, and suck, or wear it. As a group, we end up ordering about 6 rounds.

Sammy was NOT happy. :D On the third round, I complained that the glasses weren't clean, and said I'd like to talk to the manager. "Sammy" rewashed them. No wonder, as the shot glasses cost like 5 bucks a pop, and the shots were about the same. It was expensive, but a whole boatload of fun, as all involved knew what the whole story was. I left a $1 tip.

Another make em gag shot:

Cement Mixer

Tilt head back and take a shot of Irish Cream

Hold Irish Cream in mouth and add one shot Rose's lime juice.

Close mouth and shake head like a cement mixer. They either swallow it and gag or puke/spit it up when it turns to Irish cottage cheese!

Bomb Pop

Ahhh, how we all miss those hot summer days. With winter firmly gripping our poor, helpless bodies, we long for hot dogs, lemonade, apple pie and BOMB POPS! Well don't fret, you can still have a bomb pop, in liquid and alcoholic form. This one's popular at my favorite local dive, THE HUDDLE. I implore you all to visit my great hometown and chug down Pabst on draft, bomb pops and Jagr bombs!

1/2 ounce Blue Curacao

1/2 ounce Chambord (or equivalent raspberry liqueur)

1/2 ounce Absolut Citron (or equivalent lemon vodka)

1/2 Sweet & Sour Mix

Mix s & s and vodka over ice in tumbler. Pour into double-shot glass. Layer the Blue Curacao first, then the Chambord (use back end of spoon to control the pour of Chambord). Perfect red, white and blue... tastes like a bomb pop, looks like a bomb pop, must be a bomb pop!

Another make em gag shot:

Cement Mixer

Tilt head back and take a shot of Irish Cream

Hold Irish Cream in mouth and add one shot Rose's lime juice.

Close mouth and shake head like a cement mixer. They either swallow it and gag or puke/spit it up when it turns to Irish cottage cheese!

1179091[/snapback]

Thats a classic! This was actually the first shot I had bought for me after i turned 21. Coincidentally, also the last time I had a Cement Mixer. :D

Dead Nazi

1/2 Jager, 1/2 Rumpie, surprisingly good.

Some of your more PC establishments may call this an "Oil Slick"; balderdash, I say - I can't imagine anything more satisfying than a dead Nazi.