[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How 'bout this line-up?!

detlef

Last night I did a dinner party for a client of mine who never dissapoints with the wine selections. The guy owns two homes with huge wine cellars and has finally had to stop buying wine because, he "ran out of room". It's literally a who's who of worlds finest wines.

Last night he started off with a 90 Dom. Everyone loves to player hate that wine because it's almost cliche, but I've tried nearly every tete du cuvee out there and am always knocked out by the Dom. This was no exception. It tasted so fresh.

Then they did some Cloudy Bay with the apps. No huge deal here, it's just become a bit of a tradition, he usually pours that with the apps and it tends to go pretty well. It is a pretty dammed good wine.

The first sit down course was paired with an interesting Swiss wine that I'd never heard of. The appelation is Valais which is actually part of the Rhone Valley. It's a blend of Marsanne, Pinot Blanc, and two others that I'd never heard of. It had that same viscous texture and rich flavor often found in French Rhone whites but with perhaps a bit more balance. It was showing pretty darned well for a 95.

Next course was a 96 Ettienne Sauzet Puligny Montrachet. This was my favorite wine of the night which will mean a lot more once you see the reds. Absolutely perfect. Interesting melon nose that I'd never seen in a white burg before, glorious texture, bracing acidity. Just a perfect Chardonnay.

Now the big boys: 93 Chat Haut Brion. Over the last year or so, he's poured the 94 and 95 which I believe are both more highly regarded, but this wine was profound, and to my taste better than the others. It really showed the difference between great, but fruit driven CA Cab and what a truly remarkable wine should taste like. Structure for days, still firm tannins, and nuance laden fruit. FWIW, he says Haut Brion is his favorite Bordeaux

Just for giggles, and because he usually pulls out a wild card when he's drunk, dude pulls out a 94 DRC La Tache. I'd only once before had DRC and that was one of their lesser bottlings. This is Pinot like you've never had. The fact that it was tasting great after the Bordeaux says plenty. Words really can't describe.

Dessert was a 2001 Kracher Eiswein. I don't think it was 100% Riesling since a)it was labeled "cuvee" and b)Kracher is known for messing around with different varietals. Impressive indeed but a bit straight forward. I also think I'd reached saturation at that point.

Oh, and the food was pretty tasty too. If I may say so.

The first sit down course was paired with an interesting Swiss wine that I'd never heard of.  The appelation is Valais which is actually part of the Rhone Valley.  It's a blend of Marsanne, Pinot Blanc, and two others that I'd never heard of.  It had that same viscous texture and rich flavor often found in French Rhone whites but with perhaps a bit more balance.  It was showing pretty darned well for a 95.

1179609[/snapback]

I'd be interested if you could actually track down what the name of the wine was. The Swiss make some very nice whites, but almost none of them get exported.

I'd be interested if you could actually track down what the name of the wine was.  The Swiss make some very nice whites, but almost none of them get exported.

1180539[/snapback]

Here's the wine:

Cuvee de Maitre de Chais. A bottle got opened and barely drunk from, so I was able to recork it and bring it by the steakhouse for the sommelier to check out. He didn't know of the appelation or two of the grapes either but really liked it. It was a really cool wine. I mean, if you're gay that is.