[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wine Spectator Top 100

twiley

Here's my thoughts on a few of the lower end wines.

I'm pretty familiar with both the Rosenbloom Zins and have always found the Rockpile to be a pretty tremendous wine.

Marquis Phillips and the Mt Langhi Bili Bili are both perrenial big time value wines. They're both good if a bit slutty.

I've always been a fan of the Greg Norman wines, but prefer the Cab Merlot.

It's over $25, but perhaps the single coolest wine on that list is the Livia Feluga Terre Alta. It's an old-school field blend of rather obscure Italian white varietals from a old vineyard in the mountains. Perhaps the most interesting white you will ever try.

Of the ones on the list I've tried and enjoyed -

#46 - Truchard Chardonney 2003 (actually $28)

#51 - Argyle Chardonney 2002

#62 - Vina Montes Syrah 2003 (on sale for $12)

#77 - Sebastiani Cab Sauv 2002 (good value)

#78 - Seghesion Zin 2003 (good, but hard to find)

#85 - Bogegas Terrazas Malbec 2003 (just had last week)

A couple of the other ones I've been trying to find, but no luck yet. I might have to spring for the #1 - 2002 Insignia. It's always been a favorite and I have a nice vertical collection going back to the 1994 vintage.

Of the ones on the list I've tried and enjoyed -

#46 - Truchard Chardonney 2003 (actually $28)

#51 - Argyle Chardonney 2002

#62 - Vina Montes Syrah 2003 (on sale for $12)

#77 - Sebastiani Cab Sauv 2002 (good value)

#78 - Seghesion Zin 2003 (good, but hard to find)

#85 - Bogegas Terrazas Malbec 2003 (just had last week)

A couple of the  other ones I've been trying to find, but no luck yet.  I might have to spring for the #1 - 2002 Insignia. It's always been a favorite and I have a nice vertical collection going back to the 1994 vintage.

1187025[/snapback]

I would without a doubt spring for the 02 Insignia.

Have you ever had a vertical tasting?  twiley often has vertical tastings.  I think he does it for the buzz though.

1187452[/snapback]

Doing verticals is a lot of fun and a great way to distinguish wines and evaluate the vintage. I can do a few with Northwest wines, including about a 5 year vertical with Leonetti Cab.

Probably explains why I had the first bottle polished off 35mins into the tasting last Tuesday.  :D

1187491[/snapback]

:D I've still got a fair amount from each wine left over in my fridge. (which is one of the reason that I wanted to alternate between red and whites--the reds will get finished at the latest by Wednesday, but if I'm not careful I could end up with a fridge full of half-empty bottles of white.)

Back when I lived in the SF Bay area, I was in a pretty wine-fanatical group of friends. We did some amazing verticals. Clape Cornas from 78-89 (probably 8 total vintages covered) and Chat. Rayas Chat Neuf du Pape also 78-89 (I think about 7 wines) stand out as the best. The Rayas was completely out of this world.

I also recall doing an interesting horizontal tasting of various 87 Grand Cru Red Burgundies. Because 85, 86, 88, and 89 were all strong vintages, 87s kind of got lost in the shuffle. Truth was, though, that they were nicely balanced wines that were drinking well young (this was in '91 or so). At anyrate, stores were just blowing them out, so you could get Grand Crus for the mid $20s. It may be the only time I will ever get a chance to taste over a dozen Grand Cru Burgs at one time and I recall that they were all stellar.

The only thing I have kicking around right now are various vintages of some good Brunellos but the years aren't consistant. Basically the odd years of the ninetys.

I picked up a 97 Brunello today.

1187875[/snapback]

Don't sit on it for too long. That vintage was lauded as the best ever for Brunellos but is really proving to be one that made pretty slutty wines that are showing great young but likely wont hold on as long as advertised. They're pretty dammed good drinks right now, which is certainly not bad news.

Don't sit on it for too long.  That vintage was lauded as the best ever for Brunellos but is really proving to be one that made pretty slutty wines that are showing great young but likely wont hold on as long as advertised.  They're pretty dammed good drinks right now, which is certainly not bad news.

1188882[/snapback]

I bought it for immediate consumption. :D It'll get opened sometime this month so I'll post my notes.

Don't sit on it for too long.  That vintage was lauded as the best ever for Brunellos but is really proving to be one that made pretty slutty wines that are showing great young but likely wont hold on as long as advertised.  They're pretty dammed good drinks right now, which is certainly not bad news.

1188882[/snapback]

In that case you guys had better teach me how to appreciate wine pretty quickly so that I don't let the bottle of 1997 Castello Banfi Poggio all'Oro Brunello di Montalcino Riserva I picked up in Italy a couple of years ago get past its peak before I am sophisticated enough to really enjoy it.

I picked up this bad boy yesterday:

2001 Domaine de la Charbonniere Chateauneuf du Pape les Hautes Brusquieres Cuvee Speciale

Domaine de la Charbonniere

Chateauneuf du Pape, Southern Rhone, Rhone, France

Proprietary Blend (a dry red table wine)

Robert Parker 95 points Drink 2006-2017 $45.00

The blockbuster 2001 Chateauneuf du Pape Les Hautes Brusquieres Cuvee Speciale is fashioned from a single vineyard lieu-dit of the same name planted on the high plateau behind the village. Made from 100% destemmed Grenache and Syrah (60% of the former and 40% of the latter), malolactic fermentation occurs both in foudre and barrel, and some new oak is utilized. The deep ruby/purple-colored 2001 offers a sweet nose of creme de cassis, raspberries, cherry liqueur, smoke, and truffles. Full-bodied, with high levels of glycerin, tremendous purity, and a voluptuous, long, fruit and flavor-filled finish, this is a multilayered, impressive Chateauneuf to enjoy between 2006-2017.