[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mushroom Alternatives

Big Country

Alright fellas -

Quite a few recipes cal lfor mushrooms, especially stews and steaks with sauteed shrooms, etc.

Problem is, my wife is extremely allergic to them. We're talking hospital trip if she eats them, and definitely long night of being sick possible hospita ltrip if she eats stuff that has touched them.

So, I am stuck with some recipes Iwould like to try, but can;t risk it with mushrooms.

Any ideas out there on other vegetables/products I could use to simulate the texture/taste of mushrooms but that are not aprt of the mushroom family?

Although it has taken me forever to like them, I've grown to appreciate mushrooms.

Nothing better than a grilled portabella in the summer. Also, my Costco makes a portabella stuffed flank steak, which is very good.

I'm wondering, with some of these recipes, if tofu wouldn't work, if you could replace it with a bean...maybe a bean sprout of some sort?

I can't get on board with the Tofu notion. Perhaps it replicates the texture to a degree, but I really don't think texture is the thing that mushrooms bring to a dish. It's all about the flavor. What you're looking for is something rich and earthy tasting. One thing that comes to mind is carmelized onions or shallots. Also, determine whether or not truffles (which really aren't mushrooms) would have the same allergic reaction. (I understand if you're not into trial and error, perhaps your doctor would have an idea). While fresh ones are extremely expensive and canned ones suck, truffle infused oil (while also pricey) goes a long way. Just a drop or two is all it takes.

Short of that roasted whole shallots is likely your best choice.

Come to think of it, root veggies like parsnips, rutabegas, or turnips may also work. Try roasting/braising them.

Keep in mind, that there's really nothing like a mushroom, so take these suggestions with a grain of salt.

I've been cooking for quite some time and I've never thought of a substitute for mushrooms.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but what's the big issue here... especially for steaks? Saute them on the side and add to your meal only. For stews though i'm not sure. I can't really think of any type of vegetable that would have a consistency that's even close.

Since shrooms in most dishes take on the flavor of the spices /sauces you're cooking them with tofu would be your best bet. i.e. A decent shroom/scallion/sherry sauce can be replaced with tofu, but you lose in presentation

1184253[/snapback]

With all due respect, I think that is absolutely not true. Mushrooms are a source of flavor, not the other way around. Take mushroom risotto, you've got rice, stock, leeks, wine, maybe some cheese and butter, and mushrooms. What gives that dish it's flavor? The mushrooms.

In your example, both the scallions and sherry support the mushroom flavor but nothing more. You could replace the scallions with garlic, the sherry with white wine or any other booze and the sauce is not completely different. Take out the mushrooms and it is.

One could make an argument perhaps that your garden variety white button mushroom doesn't bring much to the table, but pretty much every other one is pretty distinctive.

With all due respect, I think that is absolutely not true.  Mushrooms are a source of flavor, not the other way around.  Take mushroom risotto, you've got rice, stock, leeks, wine, maybe some cheese and butter, and mushrooms.  What gives that dish it's flavor?  The mushrooms.

In your example, both the scallions and sherry support the mushroom flavor but nothing more. You could replace the scallions with garlic, the sherry with white wine or any other booze and the sauce is not completely different.  Take out the mushrooms and it is.

One could make an argument perhaps that your garden variety white button mushroom doesn't bring much to the table, but pretty much every other one is pretty distinctive.

1184584[/snapback]

Not to hijack a thread but I've got some dried lobster mushrooms at home. Khloe, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian should I use them for?

Not to hijack a thread but I've got some dried lobster mushrooms at home. Khloe, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian should I use them for?

1184783[/snapback]

Never heard of lobster mushrooms. Oyster yes, not lobster. I live a sheltered life though. :D

With all due respect, I think that is absolutely not true.  Mushrooms are a source of flavor, not the other way around.  Take mushroom risotto, you've got rice, stock, leeks, wine, maybe some cheese and butter, and mushrooms.  What gives that dish it's flavor?  The mushrooms.

In your example, both the scallions and sherry support the mushroom flavor but nothing more. You could replace the scallions with garlic, the sherry with white wine or any other booze and the sauce is not completely different.  Take out the mushrooms and it is.

1184584[/snapback]

So you like mushrooms all by themself with no accents? Earthiness aside you want them to take on and blend with he rest don't you? You take a mushroom piece out of your risotto and you won't taste the leeks and garlic? And don't most mushroom based sauces, soups etc. include the button type just for that reason along with other types?. Not to mention availability and price restrictions aside. True the shroom adds so much to any dish, but it is nothing I would eat standing by itself like say carrots, peppers, onions, celery, cabbage etc. I myself don't like any one taste to overcome the palate unless it's ........................................................................GARLIC :D:D:D

They're a little darker / more red than a chanterelle.

I just ate Portabellos with my Porterhouse.  I can't imagine an acceptable substitute.

1185828[/snapback]

We had grilled chicken and salad tonight. Now, I'm going to go run a few miles. :D