[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dinner tonight

Big Country

Gonna try a recipe I got from Men's Health.

Slice sirloin very thin. Add in some chopped bell peppers and onions. Mix with a little soy, garlis and a few other ingredients (don't have recipe in front of me).

Mix it all together and let the flavors belend for an hour or so.

Then, in a cast iron skillet, heat some EVOO (or, as they said, for a more traditional Korean flavo, toasted sesame oil with a splash of rice wine vinegar) onder medium high heat. Once that gets hot, pour in the steak, pepeprs and all the sauce in the pan and sautee until the steak is starting to brown and the veggies start giving off their water.. about 3-5 minutes.

Serve on top of a bed of brown rice and voila... .healthy tastiness.

sounds awesome.

the toasted sesame oil is pretty intense (plus i find it expensive to cook with). a couple of things i do are:

- use peanut oil to get the asian flavor

- drizzle the sesame oil in with the marinade, or drizzle after cooking.

Edited by Bier Meister

I actually use the hot sesame oil to give my stir fry a good kick. By the way, not sure if you have any Trader Joes supermarkets near you, but their flash frozen asian stir fry veggies for meals like mentioned above rock.

Edited by joeyb7

So, Cooked it up last night.

When I got home I was out of olive oil and the soy sauce the recipe caleld for, so Iwent with the toasted sesame oil and rice wine vinegar, and Isubstituted Worcestshire in lieu of the soy.

Not bad at all.

I'll post the recipe here for anyone interested later on when I get a chance to copy it, but essentially it is thinly sliced sirloin, chopped bell peppers, chopped onion, some garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, crushed red pepper and a little sugar all tossed together and then cooked in a medium-hot cast iron skillet and served over a bed of rice.

I made 4 servings, so I have another batch for lunch today.

KOREAN-STYLE PEPPER STEAK

You'll need:

1/2 lb sirloin, sliced diagonally into thin strips

1 c bite-size pieces red or green bell pepper (or 1/2 c of each)

1 c bite-size pieces onion

2 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce

Plus: 1 tsp sugar; 1 1/2 tsp olive oil; 1 clove garlic, crushed; 1 tsp red-pepper flakes

How to make it:

1. Dump all the ingredients into a large ziplock plastic bag. Go James Bond on it--well shaken, not stirred . No, really throttle it. You want the soy sauce and oil to permeate everything in the bag.2. Pour the meat, sauce, and vegetables into a medium-hot cast-iron skillet, stirring frequently until the meat is seared and the vegetables begin to lose their water (about 2 to 3 minutes).

Extra credit: For a more authentic Korean-style flavor, use toasted sesame oil instead of olive oil and add 1 Tbsp rice-wine vinegar.

Eat with: 1 c Uncle Ben's Ready Rice, Whole Grain Brown (the kind you can microwave in 90 seconds)

Makes 2 servings

Per serving, including rice: 623 calories, 37 grams (g) protein, 58 g carbohydrates, 27 g fat (9 g saturated), 4 g fiber, 604 milligrams (mg) sodium