[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question for Twiley

ChuckB

I've been drinkin sweeter wines for a while now, all white ( piesporter, riesling, a little liebfraumilch) and have sampled a little dryer whites ( pinot grigio, chardonnay) so I was looking for some recommendations on some reds that may be easier to start off with, I was thinking maybe a shiraz or a boujelais. Do you think they may be my best choices seeing as how I don't think a really dry red would suit me right now or do you think something else may be better? Any suggestions would be appreciated, keeping in mind I would prefer a low to moderately priced one.

I always feel it's important to start off by explaining what "dry" really means. Essentially, it means that all the sugar has been converted to alcohol. Nearly every red wine in production is technically dry. What someone looking for a red wine that isn't "dry" is typically looking for a fruit-forward wine with low acidity and tannins. It's not often as simple as pointing someone towards a particular grape as all the factors I mentioned above can be controlled by winemaking style or the area where the grapes were grown.

Now, the simple answer. The good news is that most wines that sell for around $10 or less are made in such the style that you are looking for. Basically because you are their target customer. Fanatics like me are looking for something different and are willing to pay more for it.

Beaujolais, in general may not always be the right choice for you. Beaujolais Nouveau perhaps (that's the stuff that comes out every November), but the normal stuff may not be fleshy enough.

Mass market style Merlot, as cliche as it's become is exactly what you're likely looking for. It's low acid, soft tannins and ripe fruit make it pretty smooth and easy to drink. Of course, these are the same characteristics that make it boring for guys like me.

Low-end Shiraz and Zinfandel are good bets if you want big fruit without a ton of complexity or acid. Again, $10 versions go down pretty dammed easy and have a bit more going on than Merlots.

If you want to try something cool that you may never tire of regardless of how much you get into wine, look for a wine called Cotes du Rhone. They're typically made mostly from Grenache which also makes pretty easy going wines. Some may be a bit leaner than the reds I mentioned above, but it's a great next step.

Others more off the beaten path that you'll probably like; Malbec from Argentina, Crianza level Rioja from Spain, Garnacha from Spain (same grape as Grenache). Well, that should be good for a start.