[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Twiley's Weekly Wine Bargains

twiley

I won't go into any notes on these mainly because I bought way too many and my A.D.D. will kick in about 1/4 of the way into the write-up. All of the wines listed are under $15.99, red and very tasty.

2003 Domaine La Bastide - Douce Folie Vin de Pays d'Hauterivo - $8.99

2003 Montroche - Georgina - Vin de Pays du Gard (syrah) - $15.99

2002 Rosso - Don Marcello - Puglia - $13.99

2003 Montepulciano D'Abruzzo - MEMO $10.99

2003 - The Gatekeeper - Shiraz - $13.99

2002 Oxford Landing - Blend - $8.99

2004 Alamos - Mendoza - Malbec - $8.99

2003 El Cripres - Mendoza - Malbec - $9.99

2004 DO Calatayud - Vina Alarba Old Vine Grenache - Spain - $9.99

2003 Las Rocas de Alejandro - Garnacha - $9.99

2002 Barrel Select - Silver Ridge - Cab Sauvignon - $13.99

2002 Claverach - Norton - $15.99

I also picked up a great Australian blend (Grenache, Shiraz, & Mourvedre) for $25.99. Kilikanoon Medley 2002 and a nice Segura Viudas Brut for $9.99.

Well this should take care of me this week. :D

I'll add one that I just picked up and decided to open to determine whether I should buy a few more bottles. I just randomly chose a budget bottle off the top 100:

Prazo de Roriz (Quinta de Roriz) Duoro. $13.99: This is a blend from the Duoro region of Portugal. (I have absolutely no knowledge of Portugese wines). The wine is a blend of tinta fofis, touria franca, tinta barroca and touriga nacional grapes.

Nose hits with dark fruit and a little alcohol. Color is dark, dark red dissipating to a hint of brown at the edge. The taste is a great balance of blackberry / raspberry and a lot of earth and leather, wrapped in some smooth tannins and cinnamon that last throughout the lengthy finish. The wine has some great legs and fans of big reds should enjoy this wine. I'll be heading back for a couple more bottles.

2003 Montepulciano D'Abruzzo - MEMO $10.99

I also picked up a great Australian blend (Grenache, Shiraz, & Mourvedre) for $25.99. Kilikanoon Medley 2002 and a nice Segura Viudas Brut for $9.99.

1189581[/snapback]

I have had several Montepulciano D'Abruzzo's and I have to say that they are some of my favorites. My favorite Italian restaurant in town serves some real nice wines and these wines are never disappoint.

As for your Aussie blend, I have had a d' Arengberg blend that is quite nice and runs around $10. It's called "The Stump Jump"... Great value, great wine....

Thanks for the list, I will look them up at my wine store...

I swear they offer these free tastings just to get me to spend more. :D

Some are duplicates of last weeks trip and I took the time to look up info for each wine:

2004 - FUENTE DEL RITMO TEMPRANILLO $8.99

A tasty 'find' from Spain’s La Mancha. Rich, smoky and chewy, with black cherry aromas and well-packed, pure flavors, accented by a bit of tangy acidity. Rated 87 points by Parker: 'amazing value for the price.

2004 Gouguenheim Winery Cabernet Sauvignon - Mendoza - $9.99

2002 Oxford Landing - Blend - $8.99

2003 Mas Carlot - Cuvee Tradition - Blend (Syrah/Grenache) - $8.99

The deep ruby/colored 2003 Grenache/Syrah Cuvee Tradition (a blend of 45% Grenache, 40% Syrah, and a touch of Mourvedre) offers blueberry, blackberry, and cassis notes in an uncomplicated, exuberant style. This medium-bodied red displays good grip on the palate, fine purity as well as ripeness, and slightly austere tannin in the finish. Drink it over the next 1-2 years.

2002 Domaine Drouhin - Pinot Noir - $39.99

The fleshy, medium to dark ruby-colored 2002 Pinot Noir Laurene displays an aromatic profile of sweet black fruits. On the palate, this broad shouldered, concentrated, medium to full-bodied wine offers plummy black cherries, blackberries, and hints of tar. Its finish is slightly rustic, with loads of tannin that reveal some bitterness.

2003 Domaine des Soulanes - Cuve Jean Pull - Catalan Wine $17.99

Vaunting a nose of candied black fruits, the 2003 VdP des Cotes Catalanes Cuvee Jean Pull, a blend of 65% Grenache and 35% Carignan, was harvested at 14% natural potential alcohol from yield of 20 hectoliters per hectare. Medium-bodied, creamy-textured, and pure, this wine reveals gorgeous depth of fruit. Blackberries, dark cherries, spices, and plums can be detected in its lush personality as well as in this wonderful value’s lengthy finish. Projected maturity: now-2009.

2003 Las Rocas - Garnacha - $8.99

This is the second vintage for the ambitious project of importer Eric Solomon, who discovered these ancient high altitude Grenache vineyards (70-100 years old), and brand named his offerings Las Rocas. The 2003 Grenache has just been released, and it’s another winner. Moreover at $8 a bottle, it’s a steal. Aromas of sweet black cherries, raspberries, pepper, and loamy soil soar from the glass of this medium-bodied, surprisingly elegant, personality-filled red. Soft tannin and good depth suggest drinking over the next 1-3 years is warranted.

2002 Capestrano - Montepulciano d'Abruzzo - $8.99

2003 Domaine de Fontenille - Cotes du Luberon $11.99

2002 Kilikanoon Medley - $25.99

The 2002 Medley is a classic GSM, meaning 50% Grenache, 40% Shiraz, and 10% Mourvedre sourced from old estate vineyards in Clare, Barossa, and McLaren Vale. Its dark ruby/purple color is accompanied by a big, peppery, earthy nose possessing sweet cherry, blackberry, truffle, and licorice scents. With superb purity, medium to full body, and a fleshy mouthfeel, it should drink well for 4-5 years.

2003 Giovanni Puiatti - Pinot Grigio - $15.99

Another Friulian producer who makes a noteworthy Pinot Grigio is Giovanni Puiatti. He’s dedicated to making wines without woody flavors - a devotee of stainless steel – and while Pinot Grigio is rarely if ever subjected to oak-aging, his experience with crafting deep and complex wines without resorting to wood surely shows in this wine as well. The dominant aroma of the 2003 is pear, with mineral and lemony notes also making an appearance. This is an elegant and well-balanced wine.

2003 Glen Carlou Chardonnay - $11.99

Forward and easygoing, with plump pear, fig and butter flavors. Quite light for this winery.