[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

smoking

Yukon Cornelius

i have to admit that "smoking" is not my forte. all i know about it is that you wnt a somewhat low temp and indirect heat. don't know about wood types. i could look up a blurb on the net, but think it's best coming from those that do it. i wonder if sld has done much of this out in the nw.

Are you cold smoking it or hot smoking it?? Alder is the traditional wood used by Native Americans in the Northwest for smoking their salmon. It gives the salmon some great flavoring. I will use Alder, Maple or cedar wood in my smoker. I will sometimes marinate the salmon in a pineapple teriyaki sauce overnight then throw it in the smoker for a few hours with the maple wood.

When I am in a hurry I put the salmon on a cut cedar picket (buy them at Home Depot... people actually pay $20-$30 for three planks at "gourmet stores") right on the grill. I usually coat it with olive oil, onion, green pepper, garlic, lemon juice, tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste.

OK Ive never tried it before but I'm going ot smoke a large batch of salmon( kings)

any suggestion and what do yah think would be the best wood>>

I'm also going to do 3 wild turkey in the near future... any ideas here would help ???

1196311[/snapback]

Wood choice makes little difference in finished flavor IMO (ecxept, of course, if you use something like pine!!!). Don't be afraid to try something different. I've even had good luck with grape vines...

I smoke every salmon I catch, every steelhead, every trout, etc. If its meat, I've probably tried to smoke it.

Alder is a good wood to use. I also use Applewood a lot for fish and poulty. Hickory will also work with certain brines. I used Applewood for my turkey this year. I think that would be a great wood for a wild turkey as you're looking at mostly dark meat and the dark meat always absorbs the smoke better.

I have used dry and wet brines for my salmon. Neither is perfect yet. It is something you have to continue tweaking until you get it to your liking.

Here's a simple dry brine for salmon:

1 cup white sugar

1 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup salt

2 tbsp garlic powder

2 tbsp onion powder

2 tbsp pepper

salmon cuts no bigger than 6" x 4"

Combine the mixture and cover the fish. Place the fish skin-side down in a glass container and cover (do not fill to the top). Let sit for 2 days. If you have layered the fish in the container, rotate after 1 day. After 2 days, give them a very light rinse, let them sit for 1/2 hour (you want to start at room temp) and smoke them. I try to stick between 175 and 200 degrees for 6-8 hours....not always easy this time of year.

Wet Brine for Salmon:

In a new 5 gallon bucket –

1 Gallon warm water

2 cups salt (I use morton’s Table salt)

2 Cups Brown Sugar

6 tablespoons garlic powder

6 tablespoons onion powder

2 ounce bottle of mapeline

1 ½ cups Karo Corn Syrup

Mix it all real good. Add trimmed fillets. I like to cut fish to skin (not through) in 1 1 ½ inch strips. Let soak 12 to 24 hours. Dry on paper towels for at least one hour. Brush with honey if you like. Pepper heavy with crushed or cracked black pepper. Preheat smoker 1 hour. Smoke fish 6 to 12 hours or until completely done.

I use an offset / indirect heat barrel smoker and monitor the temp closely. You want to limit the number of times you open the smoker to check the fish but you do need to do it occasionally.

I tend to like dry brines better but everyone has their preference and once you find the right recipe, you will swear by it. It's all personal taste.

I'll add more info for ribs, turkey, etc shortly.

Are you cold smoking it or hot smoking it?? Alder is the traditional wood used by Native Americans in the Northwest for smoking their salmon. It gives the salmon some great flavoring. I will use Alder, Maple or cedar wood in my smoker. I will sometimes marinate the salmon in a pineapple teriyaki sauce overnight then throw it in the smoker for a few hours with the maple wood.

When I am in a hurry I put the salmon on a cut cedar picket (buy them at Home Depot... people actually pay $20-$30 for three planks at "gourmet stores") right on the grill. I usually coat it with olive oil, onion, green pepper, garlic, lemon juice, tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste.

1196388[/snapback]

Home Depot is definitely the place for cedar and alder planks. You pick your width and cut to length. Just make sure that it is UNTREATED!!!! I love planking. There is a place in Yakima that I get some of the more uncommon woods (apple). www.bbqwoods.com . The have a decent chart showing the different type of wood, characteristics of each, and the food you might want to prepare on it. Not a bad starting point:

http://www.bbqwoods.com/stores/b/bbqwood/wfc.html

Edited by Seattle LawDawg

Home Depot is definitely the place for cedar and alder planks.  You pick your width and cut to length.  Just make sure that it is UNTREATED!!!!  I love planking.  There is a place in Yakima that I get some of the more uncommon woods (apple).  www.bbqwoods.com .  The have a decent chart showing the different type of wood, characteristics of each, and the food you might want to prepare on it.  Not a bad starting point:

http://www.bbqwoods.com/stores/b/bbqwood/wfc.html

1196504[/snapback]

Thanks for the site! Always nice to have a new resource.

I used to use an offset smoker, but would usually smoke to many cigars and drink to much while tending it. So I recently purchased a Bradley and can walk away and forget it while it smokes.

I'm not a salmon fan, but in all my readings, alder is often recommended.

For turkey, I smoked one for thanksgiving and used apple--very nice. Hickory might be nice as well as others mentioned.

I order my wood from bbqwoods.com and have been happy with the price, selection, and service.

I smoke every salmon I catch, every steelhead, every trout, etc.  If its meat, I've probably tried to smoke it. 

Alder is a good wood to use.  I also use Applewood a lot for fish and poulty.  Hickory will also work with certain brines.  I used Applewood for my turkey this year.  I think that would be a great wood for a wild turkey as you're looking at mostly dark meat and the dark meat always absorbs the smoke better.

I have used dry and wet brines for my salmon.  Neither is perfect yet.  It is something you have to continue tweaking until you get it to your liking. 

Here's a simple dry brine for salmon:

1 cup white sugar

1 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup salt

2 tbsp garlic powder

2 tbsp onion powder

2 tbsp pepper

salmon cuts no bigger than 6" x 4"

Combine the mixture and cover the fish.  Place the fish skin-side down in a glass container and cover (do not fill to the top).  Let sit for 2 days.  If you have layered the fish in the container, rotate after 1 day.  After 2 days, give them a very light rinse, let them sit for 1/2 hour (you want to start at room temp) and smoke them.  I try to stick between 175 and 200 degrees for 6-8 hours....not always easy this time of year. 

Wet Brine for Salmon:

In a new 5 gallon bucket –

1 Gallon warm water

2 cups salt (I use morton’s Table salt)

2 Cups Brown Sugar

6 tablespoons garlic powder

6 tablespoons onion powder

2 ounce bottle of mapeline

1 ½ cups Karo Corn Syrup

Mix it all real good. Add trimmed fillets. I like to cut fish to skin (not through) in 1 1 ½ inch strips. Let soak 12 to 24 hours. Dry on paper towels for at least one hour. Brush with honey if you like. Pepper heavy with crushed or cracked black pepper. Preheat smoker 1 hour. Smoke fish 6 to 12 hours or until completely done.

I use an offset / indirect heat barrel smoker and monitor the temp closely.  You want to limit the number of times you open the smoker to check the fish but you do need to do it occasionally.

I tend to like dry brines better but everyone has their preference and once you find the right recipe, you will swear by it.  It's all personal taste.

I'll add more info for ribs, turkey, etc shortly.

1196498[/snapback]

thank u

ill get alder from the depot and

i have the rest in the back yard... just cut up an old apple tree that will give me smoken wood for years to come..... maple/cherry for pork is the best ihave found

might try apple with the turkeys... never tried that

thaks fellas

I'm not a salmon fan, but in all my readings, alder is often recommended.

For turkey, I smoked one for thanksgiving and used apple--very nice.  Hickory might be nice as well as others mentioned.

I order my wood from bbqwoods.com and have been happy with the price, selection, and service.

1196801[/snapback]

I cold smoked our turkey this year with apple and it turned out great!