[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Texas vs USC championship game

Meat Face

Who wins  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins

• Texas
    • USC

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SC by 18 Texas reminds me soooooooooo much of Oklahoma last year, cept with a better qb.

1213361[/snapback]

Actually, I do not think that this years NC game compares at all with last years NC game, but if you have to make a comparison between one of USC or UT to OU of last year, you can make a better argument for a USC comparison to OU of last year.

Edited by rbmcdonald

Avatar is fine. I guess. Mostly I just like rile you Texas fans up, and only you have gotten riled up.

1213435[/snapback]

I mostly get riled up when people make absolute statements, which I do not think are support by the facts. Some says USC is a great team, obviously true. Someone says that USC in the last 3 years is clearly the best college football team of all time, I do not believe the facts support that (as an obvious absolute statements). Someone says that USC is so much better than any other team this year, so as to be unbeatable; I do not believe the facts support that. Someone once said that is presented as fact, and goes unchallenged for 24 hours, becomes fact in most peoples mind.

What terms would you like for the Avatar bet? For instance, how long? Also, I will not accept an Avatar that ridicules real people based on their race, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, etc., (just not my thing). Now if you could find an avatar that depicted Bevo as a transvestite longhorn, with no balls, that would be funny.

Honestly it makes no difference to me. Bets are meaningless. I'll tell you what... I'll even put myself on the line. You can pick an avatar for me for however long you want, and when Texas loses... You don't have to do anything. Seriously... It'll be a one way bet. USC will beat Texas. That's how confident I am.

I don't go based on statistics, I go based on what I've seen. I've seen both teams play. USC's offense IS and WILL BE unstoppable. Texas does not have the defense to slow them down. USC has appeared, to me, to have been able to turn it on whenever they wanted too, like against Oregon, when they sleepwalked most of the 1st half before just dismantling them. They did the same thing vs Arizona State. Texas, to me, has played impressively twice this year. Say what you want about UCLA's defense, but thats the same offense that shredded Oklahoma earlier this year too. When USC's defense has had to step it up and make a play they make the play. I feel that with a month to prepare, that BOTH defenses will be at there best. I personally think that when USC's defense IS at there best, and with Pete Carrolls history in the last 3 BCS bowl games of coming up with sensational defensive game plans against top 10 offenses, that USC can slow down Texas. It's going to be tough... but thats why they are playing on January 4th. I also feel, that Texas, no matter HOW GOOD they play on defense, will not be able to stop USC on offense. Just the way I feel. Sorry but in the last 4 years... no one has been able to devise a defensive game plan to slow this offense down. Now all of the sudden, an unproven Texas defense, who got lit up against the last offense to even closely resemble USC's offense (2005 Rose Bowl vs Michigan), is going to stop USC? And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Texas have that Derrick Johnson fella last year. That's my take on the game, you disagree with me because you're a Texas fan. I'm an unbiased outside observer (although that means you're a USC worshipper on this board).

So here is the bet... I'll take any avatar you want if USC loses, and if USC wins, then you can just come on here and simply say "Yes Brian you were right, I won't question you again."

That will be enough for me.

Honestly it makes no difference to me. Bets are meaningless. I'll tell you what... I'll even put myself on the line. You can pick an avatar for me for however long you want, and when Texas loses... You don't have to do anything. Seriously... It'll be a one way bet. USC will beat Texas. That's how confident I am.

I don't go based on statistics, I go based on what I've seen. I've seen both teams play. USC's offense IS and WILL BE unstoppable. Texas does not have the defense to slow them down. USC has appeared, to me, to have been able to turn it on whenever they wanted too, like against Oregon,  when they sleepwalked most of the 1st half before just dismantling them. They did the same thing vs Arizona State. Texas, to me, has played impressively twice this year. Say what you want about UCLA's defense, but thats the same offense that shredded Oklahoma earlier this year too. When USC's defense has had to step it up and make a play they make the play. I feel that with a month to prepare, that BOTH defenses will be at there best. I personally think that when USC's defense IS at there best, and with Pete Carrolls history in the last 3 BCS bowl games of coming up with sensational defensive game plans against top 10 offenses, that USC can slow down Texas. It's going to be tough... but thats why they are playing on January 4th. I also feel, that Texas, no matter HOW GOOD they play on defense, will not be able to stop USC on offense. Just the way I feel. Sorry but in the last 4 years... no one has been able to devise a defensive game plan to slow this offense down. Now all of the sudden, an unproven Texas defense, who got lit up against the last offense to even closely resemble USC's offense (2005 Rose Bowl vs Michigan), is going to stop USC? And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Texas have that Derrick Johnson fella last year. That's my take on the game, you disagree with me because you're a Texas fan. I'm an unbiased outside observer (although that means you're a USC worshipper on this board).

So here is the bet... I'll take any avatar you want if USC loses, and if USC wins, then you can just come on here and simply say "Yes Brian you were right, I won't question you again."

That will be enough for me.

1214696[/snapback]

An unbiased outside observer would take note of Texas' rankings on paper before dismissing them to the greatest team in college football history. I'm another one of those Texas fans that you try to rile up, but I don't care to argue, you're not going to ever think that Texas has a chance, just like most of the country. I'll be at the Rose Bowl to watch my Horns, and if they lose, I'll be here for ya. I just can't wait and I hope this is one of the most exciting games ever.

Edited by Droobie42

An unbiased outside observer would take note of Texas' rankings on paper before dismissing them to the greatest team in college football history. I'm another one of those Texas fans that you try to rile up, but I don't care to argue, you're not going to ever think that Texas has a chance, just like most of the country. I'll be at the Rose Bowl to watch my Horns, and if they lose, I'll be here for ya. I just can't wait and I hope this is one of the most exciting games ever.

1215374[/snapback]

STILL jealous, dammit..... :D

Maybe most people in the country... but if you check out a lot of these polls... most people say Texas will win. I'm not just talking about the one on this board.

1215968[/snapback]

When Vegas changes their mind I will believe you. -6.5 doesn't sound like underdog to me?

I mostly get riled up when people make absolute statements, which I do not think are support by the facts.  Some says USC is a great team, obviously true.  Someone says that USC in the last 3 years is clearly the best college football team of all time, I do not believe the facts support that (as an obvious absolute statements).  Someone says that USC is so much better than any other team this year, so as to be unbeatable; I do not believe the facts support that.  Someone once said that is presented as fact, and goes unchallenged for 24 hours, becomes fact in most peoples mind.

What terms would you like for the Avatar bet?  For instance, how long?  Also, I will not accept an Avatar that ridicules real people based on their race, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, etc., (just not my thing).  Now if you could find an avatar that depicted Bevo as a transvestite longhorn, with no balls, that would be funny.

1213957[/snapback]

So are you going to accept the bet or what? It seems like it's win-win for you. You lose, you don't have to have a different avatar.

So are you going to accept the bet or what? It seems like it's win-win for you. You lose, you don't have to have a different avatar.

1218410[/snapback]

Since it was a one sided bet, I did not think that I needed to accept. Certainly I will accept. As I have posted before, I will be out of contact most of the week of Jan 2-6. I will definitely be around 1/7 or 1/8.

I didn't disagree with you. I just said that most of the fans voting on all of these polls seem to be leaning towards Texas. It's kind of like pro wrestling... pro wrestling has it's internet community, college football seems to have its own internet communitty as well.

1216937[/snapback]

Most people on message boards tend to be a little more educated (in the sport in question) than the general public. This could easily explain the desparity in polling which seems to show Texas as the favorite on most sites and the line which seems to show USC as the favorite. I'm not saying that is the case, but it is one possible explaination.

Most people on message boards tend to be a little more educated (in the sport in question) than the general public.  This could easily explain the desparity in polling which seems to show Texas as the favorite on most sites and the line which seems to show USC as the favorite.  I'm not saying that is the case, but it is one possible explaination.

1218819[/snapback]

LOL! Subtle, perch, very subtle - nice try! First, we all know USC will win, :D but I would also point out the most basic principle of statistics: 'confidence level'. Which in this situation roughly means 'how big does my sample have to be to give me, say, 95% confidence that it reflects the feelings of the whole population?'

We'd have to add a thousand or so more to the numbers on this poll to do that, whether you're talking about just the educated message boards sharks or the whole general population. Right now the margin of error would make up any difference on either side.

You guys crack me up....

I just think that if there is a confused QB out there, it won't be Matt. VY's comments after the Heisman led me to believe he wasn't as smart as I thought he was. (Was he the only guy in the room who didn't know it was going to Bush? Jeeez..)

He might be able to run his way out of trouble most of the time, but if he slings it without being 100% sure, he's going to get picked off - more than once. And/or if he holds it a little longer due to uncertainty, he'll get sacked more than once too. Could be a long night for him and all those rich oil tycoon fans that are driving the price of tix up. Now THAT would be justice...

edit: before you rich oil tycoons jump me, this is pure speculation on my part... :D

Edited by Coffeeman

I just think that if there is a confused QB out there, it won't be Matt.  VY's comments after the Heisman led me to believe he wasn't as smart as I thought he was.  (Was he the only guy in the room who didn't know it was going to Bush?  Jeeez..)

He might be able to run his way out of trouble most of the time, but if he slings it without being 100% sure, he's going to get picked off - more than once.  And/or if he holds it a little longer due to uncertainty, he'll get sacked more than once too.  Could be a long night for him and all those rich oil tycoon fans that are driving the price of tix up.  Now THAT would be justice...

edit: before you rich oil tycoons jump me, this is pure speculation on my part...  :D

1219519[/snapback]

You actually have a pretty good point. I was very concerned with VY's decision making and his accuracy prior to the season. I myself, a huge Texas fan, question how good VY would be. I knew he was deadly with his legs, but with the young WR's he has, and his performance last year in the passing game, I was very concerned with him.

Fortunately for Texas fans, with the exception of two bad mistakes against Ohio St, his decision making has been very good, and his accuracy and his WR's have far exceeded my expectations. Couple that with USC's lackluster defense, and I'm not that concerned about it. Texas has faced some pretty good defenses and have come out alive, the same can not be said for USC.

So, before the season started I would have agreed with you, but now based upon VY's play, and the so-so defense that USC has, I would have to respectfully disagree with you.