[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need help for Holiday party

juanruiz13

So I just closed on a house about a month ago. And we decided to throw a housewarming party, and combine it with a holiday party. I haven't had much time to plan everything out because I just sent out the evites on Sunday, and the party is next friday. And now it looks like we're gonna have more people than we expected. :doah: My biggest worry is having enough food, and not spending a fortune. This is not a very picky crowd, mostly 25-29 yrs old, looking to hang out and get a bit wasted. Party is starting at 8pm (hopefully they all eat before they come), and I told them that there would be some appetizer type foods.

I'm expecting over 50 people (hopefully not many more).

I'm looking for something I could make ahead of time and heat up right before they show up. I don't want to spend too much time in the kitchen while everyone else is having a good time. :D

I'm going to try out twiley's egg nog recipe this weekend...

Any advice? Don't want to screw up the 1st party at my place.

Thanks in advance.

Cheese and meat platters, and vegatable platters are always quick and easy to do as a start.

I try to have something like a spiral sliced ham that people can pick at. finger sandwiches are easy, especially of you buy tuna, chicken, egg, and seafood salad. You can get nice heatable appetizers at like a BJs wholesale club. Or, you could order some chinese food :D

boursin dip

16 oz of cream cheese

2 bousins

16 oz of artichoke hearts

1 cup spinach

2-3 cloves of garlic

1/4 C milk

a handful of shreaded parmisean

1 or 2 round loaves of bread

in a large bowl (or mixer if you have one) drain and mash the artichokes. cut CC into smaller pieces and add. add bousins..... mix well. saute spinach with the garlic until wilted. add to mixture...add milk.

create bread bowls.... fill with dip. top with parm...spray with pan or something...bake until top is golden.

easy bruschetta:

6-7 roma tomatoes (small dice)

1 tbs garlic (minced)

6-7 leaves of basil (chiffonade)

7-8 oz of buffalo mozzerella (small dice)

2 tbs olive oil

S&P to taste

2-3 baguettes

add everything except baguettes

slice baguettes on slight bias... arrange on cookie sheet. bake until slightly golden.

you can dice everything in advance... then add them that day. slice baguettes 20-30 min before guest arrive.

edit: anytime you preslice bread, cover it with a towl or something, otherwise it will dry out.

Edited by Bier Meister

What did you put on the evite? We usually put light or heavy appetizers so people know whether or not to come hungry.

I'll usually go half pre-made half homemade on parties. My grocery store offers a 32 piece of 4 puff pastry appetizers that we'll throw in the oven later in the night when people stop thinking about the overall appearance of food. They're always a hit.

Green Goddess dip with crudites is a cheap way to go. I usually carve out the middle of a cabbage head and serve the dip in there. I'll get the recipe for you when I get home or you can look it up on William Sonoma.

In the summer, I'll make california rolls which I've mastered so it takes me about 20 minutes to prepare about 70 rolls.

Bruschetta is a great idea and very easy to make.

I'll post more later.

Edited by twiley

Roast Beef Wraps

cream cheese spread:

- 16 oz of cream cheese (cut into smaller pieces)

- 1 carrot (peeling and diced)

- 1 bunch green onion (chopped)

- 1 roasted red pepper (cut into strips)

mix all in a food processor until smooth

spinach

1-2 lbs of roast beef

large tortillas of you choice

lay out several tortillas. with rubber spatula spread on tortillas. then lay out spinach, then roast beef. roll tightly. slice on bias (choose your size).

You guys are awesome! :D

I have off of work on Friday... so I guess I'll set the day aside to prepare everything, and if I have enough time I guess Thursday night also.

I just put "some appetizers" on the evite, I think everyone knows not to come hungry. I'll have the chinese food on speed dial :D But I'll probably have a combo of heavy/light appetizers, hopefully it'll keep everyone happy.

Everything sounds great so far... it looks like I can't even screw up most of these! thanks

We can't all be cullinary marvels :D

Nothing wrong with frozen spinach pillows.  Especially when your target audience is a bunch of 20-something drunks.

1214794[/snapback]

nothing wrong at all :D i like some of those frozen thingies....

One thing I've done before is go to Costco. Buy three of the cheap, wire chafing sets. They come with aluminum pans and sterno for heat. They have a big water pan and 2 half pans for food per set.

Then go down the frozen food aisle and choose 6 different frozen appetizers. You can then start cooking them a couple of hours in advance and put 'em in the chafing dishes to stay warm during the party. Works great, and 6 pans of food should be plenty for your guests, especially if you add some chips and dips to the mix.

Edited by Chief Dick

One thing I've done before is go to Costco. Buy three of the cheap, wire chafing sets. They come with aluminum pans and sterno for heat. They have a big water pan and 2 half pans for food per set.

Then go down the frozen food aisle and choose 6 different frozen appetizers. You can then start cooking them a couple of hours in advance and put 'em in the chafing dishes to stay warm during the party. Works great, and 6 pans of food should be plenty for your guests, especially if you add some chips and dips to the mix.

1215627[/snapback]

This sounds like what my wife and I did when we hosted the econ department for a party a few months ago.

Econ profs are like drunken 20-somethings: If the food is free, they will happily eat it. :D

This sounds like what my wife and I did when we hosted the econ department for a party a few months ago.

Econ profs are like drunken 20-somethings:  If the food is free, they will happily eat it.  :D

1215950[/snapback]

Yeah, but drunken 20-somethings don't hang around and discuss nerd stuff. :D

1215627[/snapback]

thanks... it's on the list :D

Yeah, but drunken 20-somethings don't hang around and discuss nerd stuff. :D

1216668[/snapback]

:D That's why I invited my boss over earlier than all my friends.

Actually, he's pretty cool. He asked me if I wanted to go into NYC for Howard Stern's last show. :D freezing rain and boobies :D

I don't know what they're called...but they're always a hit at parties. Here's what you need.

2 lbs. bacon

2-3 cans of water chestnuts

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup catsup

1/4 cup grape jelly

toothpicks

(yea I know the sauce sounds gross...but don't knock it 'till ya' try it) :D

Cut bacon strips in half. Wrap 1 water chestnut with half strip of bacon. Insert toothpick to keep it all together. Keep doing that until you're out of bacon. Put them in a glass baking dish. Mix catsup, soy sauce, and grape jelly together thoroughly. Pour mixture over bacon/water chestnuts. Bake in oven at 350 for 45 minutes...or until bacon is done. It'll knock your socks off. :D

Edited by Deacon Bill

I only ever make this for guests between Thanksgiving and New Year's. It's particularly good for an event that is after dinner, as it is a bit sweet.

Get a whole wheel of Brie cheese - 8 to 10 inches in diameter. Put on on a serving dish that can also go into the oven.

Sprinkle the Brie with light brown sugar - I never measure - I guess it's about 3/4 Cup. Just give it a good covering.

Lastly, generously scatter sliced almonds over the sugar.

Bake at 300 for about 30 minutes. Everthing should look toasted - if you small small thingie the top of the cheese with a knife, it should be runny.

Serve this warm with a mild cracker - I like Carr's Table Water Crackers.

This one is always a hit and so simple, I don't know why I don't serve it more often!

Edited by Lady.hawke

• 3 weeks later...

Bier...I (sort of) used your wraps suggestion. I just used whipped cream cheese, spinach, and thickly cut RB, but they were good.

I also made wraps with thickly cut turkey, spinach and a nice, spicy salsa cheese. I also did a set with red pepper hummus, cream cheese, and spinach. All went over well :D

When in a pinch I use Chick-Fil-A and Subway. I get a giant party platter from CFA of the nuggets and a 6' sub from the Way. Slice the 6' into finger sandwhiches. Then I make a dutch oven full of Chili, some other munchies(chips, cheese cubes, veg tray etc). Then proceed to eat and drink the night away-Peace PD.