[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Last night tasting...

sundaynfl

I finally made it to one of the tastings, sorry I didn't start with the designated wines... but at least I am not hung over this morning!!! I will have to pick up a few of the wines that were discussed and try them on my own. I look forward to the next tastings!

My notes for anyone who cares:

Antinori Chianti Classico Badia Riserva 2000

When I poured it into the decanter it had a nose of earth and blackberries. After about 30 minutes I picked up hints of minerals (limestone and flint) and toasted oats. The blackberries were still in mix. I tasted raspberries and a some cherry along the mid-palate and the finish was silky smooth. Finish lasted 2 to 3 minutes.

P.S. Stay away from the yellow cedar!!

i was out christmas shopping :D

i finished off the querceto when i was done though, and...eh, can't say i was very impressed on any level. had a mineral/alkaline nose that was a bit off-putting. on the palate the tartness and fruit balanced fairly well, but certainly nothing to write home about. i'm looking forward to finishing off the gabbiano classico riserva...i really liked the little bit of that i drank sunday night.

i was out christmas shopping :D

i finished off the querceto when i was done though, and...eh, can't say i was very impressed on any level.  had a mineral/alkaline nose that was a bit off-putting.  on the palate the tartness and fruit balanced fairly well, but certainly nothing to write home about.  i'm looking forward to finishing off the gabbiano classico riserva...i really liked the little bit of that i drank sunday night.

1230250[/snapback]

I didn't get either specific wine but:

2003 Gabbiano Chianti: Just wasn't good IMO.

2001 Querceto Chianti Classico Riserva: Full of berries and chocolate on the nose through the tasting. Nice tannins and minerals through a lengthy finish. This one is pretty good.

I didn't get either specific wine but:

2003 Gabbiano Chianti:  Just wasn't good IMO.

2001 Querceto Chianti Classico Riserva:  Full of berries and chocolate on the nose through the tasting.  Nice tannins and minerals through a lengthy finish.  This one is pretty good.

1230888[/snapback]

So, if I was going to pick up some Chianti, say, tomorrow, and say in the $25 to $50 range, what would you recommend?

i tasted:

querceto chianti- 04; a touch of blackberry, mineral.... very average.

gabbiano chianti classico riserva- 02; bing cherry... a very nice wine.

what we/I learned from this was that the quality of the riservas was superior to the standard chianti's.....

look for a DOCG riserva... or look for some barolo's.