[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chili

Big Country

Started making this late last night, gonna have it finished tonight when we have some guests over.

I had to tone it down a bit as my son and another 1-year old will likely be having some, so i took out a fair amount of heat.

Start by cubing some sirloin.. I used 3 pounds. Season generously with salt and pepper and put it in a large stock pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. After boiling for a few minutes, skim the surface of all the funk.

Add in onion, garlic, chipotles, jalapenos (I left these out of this batch), 28 oz. canned tomatoes that you hand crush so it is chunky, tomato paste and ancho chile powder (I didnt have time to make this, so I used regular chili powder).

Let simmer for a couple hours so the meat starts to break down.

Add in beans (the version I am making will have kidney beans, black beans and corn) and some corn meal to help thicken and add a nice flavor.

If I had used the jalapeno, you also add a little grated chocolate to balance the flavors a bit.

Let simmer and thicken and enjoy.

I have the full recipe at home that I will gladly share. It is basically a variation of one I saw on FoodTV so I just took the recipe and modified it to my tastes.

I used to pride myself on my homemade chili. One day I got off work late. It was cold and sleeting and I wanted a pot of chili. I grabbed a Carroll Shelby Chili kit at Albertsons. That was about 3 years ago. I haven't made my homemade stuff since. I'm not sure it is better than mine but a whole lot easier and it just might be better.

i thought about saying that, but i knew bier would show up and take care of it!

1232022[/snapback]

lol...... i alter every recipe i receive. (not a knock on your recipe BC :D )

plus:

- i think flavor is lost when we boil meat

- we get more flavor when searing/carmelizing.

lol......  i alter every recipe i receive.  (not a knock on your recipe BC  :D  )

plus:

1232067[/snapback]

I usually sear the meat but have never thought about carmelizing before. :D

lol......  i alter every recipe i receive.  (not a knock on your recipe BC  :D  )

plus:

1232067[/snapback]

I wholeheartedly agree about searing the meat..... but, I figure I would give it a shot as written in the recipe (unless I misread the recipe :D ) as the idea is that after a few hours of cooking together the meat just breaks apart so rather than chunks of beef in the chili you have more of the pulled effect.

I will post the full recipe tonight (if I get a chance to get on the newly reinstaleld home computer), or, if you want to see it earlier go to foodtv.com, do a search in chili and it is the recipe from Tyler Florence with chocolate in the tile.. forget if it is Beef, Bean and Chocolate or what, but it showed up on the first page of the search and, as I had made something similar before I knew it should turn out tasty

Heck, that recipe has another recipe for an ancho chile powder that I have made before that was really good.

Weinerschnitzel chili is yummy!  :D

:D

1232235[/snapback]

I've told you before that my father-in-law is a meat broker right?

He went in to bid on the Wienerschnitzel account.

He could not provide them with what they wanted (and we're not talking price)

Let's just say I try make it a point to not eat at Wienerschnitzel anymore.

I've told you before that my father-in-law is a meat broker right?

He went in to bid on the Wienerschnitzel account.

He could not provide them with what they wanted (and we're not talking price)

Let's just say I try make it a point to not eat at Wienerschnitzel anymore.

1232391[/snapback]

what, his schnitzel didn't have enough weiners in it?

Hmmmmm, chili. Sounds good, BC.

I like to use lots of fresh tomatoes - even the greenhouse ones in winter are better than canned, IMO.

I always sear the venison, beef or pork - nearly to burnt.

I also carmelize the onion, garlic and jalepeno before adding them to the pot. It keeps the kids from freaking out about there being onions in the chili. :D

I've tried the dark chocolate bit and like the contrast and depth it adds. :D

If I'm making chili for a social occasion, I pony up a little extra cash and buy small qualtities of high quality chili powder and cumin. The stuff in the spice rack loses something over time. :D

All in all, one of my favorite dishes to make and eat. :D

What Carroll Shelby stuff?

1232687[/snapback]

when yer in the chili makin section of yer grocery store, you'll see it. It's a chili in a bag type thing. seasonings..not meat - you add that yerself

when yer in the chili makin section of yer grocery store, you'll see it. It's a chili in a bag type thing. seasonings..not meat - you add that yerself

1233281[/snapback]

Interesting I'll check it out. Carroll Shelby the car guy?