[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

samichlaus bier

Azazello1313

holy smokes! didn't really know much about this beer when i saw it in 12 oz singles on the shelf at my liquor store tonight. 14% abv. poured it out just now, one of the most lovely deep reddish brown colors i've seen on a beer. very little head, given the high alcohol and the fact that they age it over a year in the bottle. the smell absolutely knocked me out. holy dopplebock!! but with lots of depth. sweet malt, figs, alcohol...and so much more. the taste is almost overpowering...very hot for a beer, with some up front sweetness. chew on it a while and wow, what a fantastic tasting beer. overpowering but incredibly complex at the same time. whiskey, raisins, figs again. wow. you might love and you might hate it, but this beer will knock your socks off. i gotta buy some more of this..

edit: reminds me a bit of the paulaner salvator. but on MAJOR steroids.

Edited by Azazello1313

holy smokes!  didn't really know much about this beer when i saw it in 12 oz singles on the shelf at my liquor store tonight.  14% abv.  poured it out just now, one of the most lovely deep reddish brown colors i've seen on a beer.  very little head, given the high alcohol and the fact that they age it over a year in the bottle.  the smell absolutely knocked me out.  holy dopplebock!!  but with lots of depth.  sweet malt, figs, alcohol...and so much more.  the taste is almost overpowering...very hot for a beer, with some up front sweetness.  chew on it a while and wow, what a fantastic tasting beer.  overpowering but incredibly complex at the same time.  whiskey, raisins, figs again.  wow.  you might love and you might hate it, but this beer will knock your socks off.  i gotta buy some more of this..

edit: reminds me a bit of the paulaner salvator.  but on MAJOR steroids.

1240583[/snapback]

Yes, but does it go well with Pork rinds? :D

:ignoring spain:

I've been collecting beer for many years.

I believe that I've got Samichlaus back to about 1994 (the old bottles are vintage dated, not sure if the newer bottles are)

It was brewed by the original company until they quit a few yars ago.

Just this year a new company bought the rights/recipe to it and started it up again.

I believe that I've got Samichlaus back to about 1994 (the old bottles are vintage dated, not sure if the newer bottles are)

Just this year a new company bought the rights/recipe to it and started it up again.

1241227[/snapback]

a little research today indicates it was brewed from 1979 to 1996 in by the original switzerland brewery, and its first vintage put out by the new austrian owners was 2000, which would have been available around christmas time 2001.

its first vintage put out by the new austrian owners was 2000, which would have been available around christmas time 2001.

1241341[/snapback]

That may be true, but it was definitely short lived, as it was unavailable for the last few years. I believe that Christmas 2004 was the first available in at least 2-3 years.

1241227[/snapback]

Though beer absolutely unlike wine does not get better with age(double negative) I'm going out to get some fresh Santa today, unless of course it is way over priced :D

Though beer absolutely unlike wine does not get better with age(double negative) I'm going out to get some fresh Santa today, unless of course it is way over priced :D

1241850[/snapback]

I have to disagree with your assertion that beer does not get better with age. There are several beers that DO get better with age. Chimay, La Folie (New Belgium) and several Belgium biers that age very well! :D

I have to disagree with your assertion that beer does not get better with age. There are several beers that DO get better with age. Chimay, La Folie (New Belgium) and several Belgium biers that age very well!  :D

1241872[/snapback]

Age how long? most any brewmaster will tell you after 10-11% you start crossing into the dessert wine category. Fresher is better hands down. You want your beer to reach it's max potential both taste and alcohol content wise "peaking" and then bottle/keg or better yet consume at that point. Nothing better than a good IPA or Hefe right out of the tap lines before production. Incredible really.

Actually, Samichlaus is not really German, but is instead Swiss-German (and, trust me, they are not the same thing :D )

Edit to add, Samichlaus is traditionally accompanied by a dark and sinister character called Schmutzli who legend has it, takes bad children into his sack and carries them off into the forest where they are beaten (or perhaps even eaten).

(I think they should make a stout called Schmutzli.)

Edited by wiegie

Age how long? most any brewmaster will tell you after 10-11% you start crossing into the dessert wine category. Fresher is better hands down. You want your beer to reach it's max potential both taste and alcohol content wise "peaking" and then bottle/keg or better yet consume at that point. Nothing better than a good IPA or Hefe right out of the tap lines before production. Incredible really.

1242286[/snapback]

Link[

"Our favorite Chimay ale is most definitely the blue-labeled Chimay Grande Reserve with an alcohol content of 9 percent. This is the "classic" Chimay ale exhibiting an unbelievable depth of fruity, peppery character. The taste continues to evolve and develop with a few years of age. The corked bottles are always best aged on their sides so the corks will stay swollen and the beer will not lose carbonation. Michael Jackson even compares Grande Reserve with some fine Port wines. "

New Belgium link

"La Folie was brewed two years ago, then laid down in wood barrels previously used to store burgundy wine. According to the brewery’s CEO and co-founder, Kim Jordan, the beer was inoculated with various bacterial strains to produce the sweet/sour flavors prevalent in Belgian beers."

I have to agree with you on the IPA's and Hefe or lighter beers but these brewers would disagree with your aging assertation.

Edited by sundaynfl

There are many examples of beers that get better with age.

They are bottled with the yeast still in the bottle and evolve over time.

Yes, most will peak at a certain point as will most wines.

The trick is to decide when.

But there are certain wines and beers that have never 'gone bad'.

Thomas Hardy's Ale is the most famous example. They have been brewing it since 1974.

Every year is slightly different and ages differently.

They still open some of the 74 vintage every year and it is still getting better.

I have a cellar with around 800 beers in it.

(Probably 200-300 different kinds.)

Most peak 2-5 years after bottling.

I can tell you that some I've held onto too long already.

Most are better every time I crack one open.

As for the dessert wine comment, I don't get it.

Beer is fermented with one type of yeast, wine with a different.

And even wine over 11% isn't necessarily a 'dessert' wine.

Most of the Cabs in my cellar are over 11%.

• 1 month later...

Just had my first Chimay(blue) in awhile and boy it is good Got to love those monks! Going to throw down a Choffe here very shortly. Ummm a little baby swiss on some wheat thins and the blue label after and hugh should be on his way to a happy night at the minor league hockey game later tonight. This is not aa mead this is good friggin beer baybee :D my bad on these belgiums at least :D

Edited by Hugh B Tool