[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Years Food Traditions

sundaynfl

I just rinsed and sorted my blackeyed peas and they are now cold soaking awaiting the additon of ham, ham bones and assorted ingredients. Blackeyed peas and ham have been a family tradition of ours as long as I can remember. I usually end up eating them for a week.... but at least my family will end up with great luck throughout the New Year!

:D

My grandfather would eat a whole dinner plate full of black-eyed peas, as it's one of my fondest memories of him, I always start the year with big honking ribeyes. I will make some black eyed peas and some collard or mustard greens as well, as it let's me piddle in the kitchen during the day, but it's steaks for dinner-Peace PD.

this year consisted of four pizzas from Dominoes, 8 double cheese burgers, three orders of fries, 10 chicken selects, 4 large sweet teas, five apple pies, and chips and salsa. This was all consumed by six people all day whilst watching the skins play, then watched The Bourne Sepremacy.

normally go with the black eyed pea thing, but 2005 sucked as far as luck is concerned, so, I am starting a new tradition.

• 16 years later...

It's early yet, but the brussel sprouts reminded me of cabbage...

New Years has always been my favorite meal of the year. Both because of the meal itself as well as the tradition. When I was growing up, Sundays were always for Sunday morning westerns & war movies, church, dinner (lunch) at Grandma's and football if it was on. New Years was one of the heights of that tradition and Grandma made the same meal, the same way, every year. Fried thin-cut pork chops, black-eyed peas, white rice made in her 70's rice cooker and the cabbage rolls. Every year I would eat myself sick on all the fixings and then relish the leftovers the next day. Man, I miss those days... Bless my wife, though. She has my grandma's pork chop recipe down to a T and though it's a huge hassle to fry all those chops for so many people, she continues that tradition every year. Our own sides are not too far off. We have the black-eyed peas with rice, boiled cabbage with lots of bacon & onions and corn bread.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rajncajn said:

It's early yet, but the brussel sprouts reminded me of cabbage...

New Years has always been my favorite meal of the year. Both because of the meal itself as well as the tradition. When I was growing up, Sundays were always for Sunday morning westerns & war movies, church, dinner (lunch) at Grandma's and football if it was on. New Years was one of the heights of that tradition and Grandma made the same meal, the same way, every year. Fried thin-cut pork chops, black-eyed peas, white rice made in her 70's rice cooker and the cabbage rolls. Every year I would eat myself sick on all the fixings and then relish the leftovers the next day. Man, I miss those days... Bless my wife, though. She has my grandma's pork chop recipe down to a T and though it's a huge hassle to fry all those chops for so many people, she continues that tradition every year. Our own sides are not too far off. We have the black-eyed peas with rice, boiled cabbage with lots of bacon & onions and corn bread.

Awesome, cabbage rolls are a tradition in my parents Romanian heritage (we call them sarmale and eat them with sour cream and bread). Our ladies at the church still make them and they're quite tasty. I'm pretty good at doing pork chops, my favorite is thin cut and then breaded (flour, egg, breading). Last time I bought some thin cut pork chops I wanted to eat some without doing all the breading work that I had planned for the bulk later in the week. I took a bit of fajita seasoning and mixed it in flour and then just browned them in a pan. I like to do fried cabbage and spätzle or mashed potatoes for sides.  

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Awesome, cabbage rolls are a tradition in my parents Romanian heritage (we call them sarmale and eat them with sour cream and bread). Our ladies at the church still make them and they're quite tasty. I'm pretty good at doing pork chops, my favorite is thin cut and then breaded (flour, egg, breading). Last time I bought some thin cut pork chops I wanted to eat some without doing all the breading work that I had planned for the bulk later in the week. I took a bit of fajita seasoning and mixed it in flour and then just browned them in a pan. I like to do fried cabbage and spätzle or mashed potatoes for sides.  

The wife does ours similar. Egg, seasoned flour then dropped into the fryer until golden and delicious!